The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Lanyards (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/25755-lanyards.html)

fonzzy07 Sun Mar 26, 2006 09:52pm

Lanyards

Hey guys I know their was a post like this a little while ago, but what lanyard do you all use. I use the smitty and need a new one, but I have been told to get a noose because it makes a diffrence. Any truth to this and if so what does what style of lanyard you use make a diffrence to how you ref, or how you appear as a ref?

mj Sun Mar 26, 2006 09:58pm

The trend now is the noose. The only advantage I see to it, is you don't need to worry about the loop breaking using the smitty.

JRutledge Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:07pm

I also use the NBA noose. I think if fits better and does not have as many ways of falling off. They also do not have loops to get tangled up as easily as well. It is all personal choice at the end of the day.

Peace

Snake~eyes Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mj
The trend now is the noose. The only advantage I see to it, is you don't need to worry about the loop breaking using the smitty.

Exactly, I'm a noose guy. That and if you're working one of those horrible freshman girls game you can easily hang yourself on one of othe rims... :D

26 Year Gap Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:13pm

I carry a noose in my pocket but use the smitty.

tomegun Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:30pm

A better question to me would be how many times has someone had to go to their pocket and use a backup whistle. I've never needed one. Of course, I probably just jinxed myself.

Rich Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomegun
A better question to me would be how many times has someone had to go to their pocket and use a backup whistle. I've never needed one. Of course, I probably just jinxed myself.

For this reason, I don't carry one on the court. If I EVER need one, I'll get one from my bag and everyone can wait a minute or two.

JRutledge Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:07pm

Quote:

I once needed a spare when my smitty lanyard kept falling off my shirt in the middle of the game. I did not have a spare at the time and my whistle kept falling out of my mouth and hand every time I blew the whistle. I go out on the court with a spare every time. I do not go out onto the court without a spare. I do not feel running to the locker room is the best way to handle it. If I have a spare no one knows I had a problem with the whistle. If I stop the game to get a whistle, then everyone knows there was a problem.

Peace

stripes Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:47am

Quote:

I used to wonder that myself, but I still carried an extra (on a noose because I like the smitty). Somehow, I caught the lanyard in my hand and ripped the loop off. I didn't need the whistle, but I did need the noose...

Snake~eyes Mon Mar 27, 2006 01:57am

I would recommend if you want to use a smitty that you use a safty pin instead of the loop. No way that'd come off.

26 Year Gap Mon Mar 27, 2006 08:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snake~eyes
I would recommend if you want to use a smitty that you use a safty pin instead of the loop. No way that'd come off.

I don't want to take the chance of becoming a blood donor in the middle of a game.

Raymond Mon Mar 27, 2006 08:36am

prefer noose

i prefer the noose mostly b/c it looks cool to have it hang out my pocket during warm-ups. :cool:

I do keep an extra whistle attached to smitty in my pocket but it's main purpose is to keep track of the AP arrow.

QuebecRef87 Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:14am

Poll!

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzzy07
Hey guys I know their was a post like this a little while ago, but what lanyard do you all use.

This would make a good poll question. Why don't you make one so this issue is settled once and for all?

All_Heart Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:19pm

Quote:

I forgot my whistle in the locker room at half time. We were just about to start the second half and luckily I had a backup in my pocket.

fonzzy07 Mon Mar 27, 2006 01:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuebecRef87
This would make a good poll question. Why don't you make one so this issue is settled once and for all?

how do i make it a poll?