The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Backboard slap (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/25745-backboard-slap.html)

Nevadaref Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:35pm

Backboard slap

4:50 remaining 2nd half of UCLA/Memphis when #32 Joey Dorsey of Memphis dunks and proceeds to hang onto the ring with his right hand and slap the backboard with his left.

Anyone recall the Syracuse player receiving a technical foul for this in last year's tourney against Vermont?

BktBallRef Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:50pm

Elton Brand got a T for the same thing when he was still at Duke.

So did a kid in one of my games about 3 years ago! :)

tomegun Sun Mar 26, 2006 08:57am

I wouldn't be surprised to see this play on next year's NCAA tape. I think it is funny to see the tape every year and the fact that they get the plays from the NCAA tournament.

26 Year Gap Sun Mar 26, 2006 09:03am

The hanging on the rim call was made against Syracuse. It is hardly ever called and since it seems at least half of the dunks have it happen, I am surprised the NCAA doesn't remove it from the rule book. At least the Fed guys learn from what they see out there and implement rules and want them enforced when it comes to that type of behavior.:(

rulesmaven Sun Mar 26, 2006 01:50pm

Charlie Villanueva got called for it almost two years ago to the day in a regional final against Alabama.

JRutledge Sun Mar 26, 2006 04:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomegun
I wouldn't be surprised to see this play on next year's NCAA tape. I think it is funny to see the tape every year and the fact that they get the plays from the NCAA tournament.

Damn near every play comes from the NCAA Tournament on top of that. Good officials make mistakes too.

Peace

Raymond Sun Mar 26, 2006 06:18pm

I think in this play the Memphis player didn't hang on the rim. He elevated very high, dunked very hard and was high enough that he then tapped both sides of the backboard on the way down. I don't remember the Villanueva and Brand plays but I'm willing to wager that they did chin-ups prior to tapping the backboards or smacked as opposed to tapping the backboard. JMO.

tomegun Sun Mar 26, 2006 06:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
I think in this play the Memphis player didn't hang on the rim. He elevated very high, dunked very hard and was high enough that he then tapped both sides of the backboard on the way down. I don't remember the Villanueva and Brand plays but I'm willing to wager that they did chin-ups prior to tapping the backboards or smacked as opposed to tapping the backboard. JMO.

Whether they hang on the rim or not shouldn't forgive a slap on the backboard.
Some plays we see in the NCAA could make moving up - if that is what you want to do - a tough nut to crack. "sigh" I guess we have to remember "do as I say, not as I do" and call these plays.

Nevadaref Sun Mar 26, 2006 07:42pm

Quote:

I think in this play the Memphis player didn't hang on the rim. He elevated very high, dunked very hard and was high enough that he then tapped both sides of the backboard on the way down.

Are you going off memory or did you go back and watch the tape?
I watched the tape very carefully, a few times, BEFORE I started this thread. What you have written is NOT true.

Dorsey's right hand never left the ring and he slapped the board with his left hand only.

PS The T against Syracuse last year was not for hanging on the ring. It was for slapping the backboard.

Raymond Sun Mar 26, 2006 08:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Are you going off memory or did you go back and watch the tape?
I watched the tape very carefully, a few times, BEFORE I started this thread. What you have written is NOT true.

Dorsey's right hand never left the ring and he slapped the board with his left hand only.

PS The T against Syracuse last year was not for hanging on the ring. It was for slapping the backboard.

Yes Nevada, I am going off memory and one SportsCenter replay...but my initial reaction was that I wasn't surprised that he didn't get T'd up

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomegun
Whether they hang on the rim or not shouldn't forgive a slap on the backboard.
Some plays we see in the NCAA could make moving up - if that is what you want to do - a tough nut to crack. "sigh" I guess we have to remember "do as I say, not as I do" and call these plays.

You're right Tome, it's hard when you go to a camp in front these same guys and a play like that happens and you wonder "should I call it or am I gonna get a lecture on Game Interrupters".

rulesmaven Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:19pm

Quote:

Villanueva, if I remember right, did not even dunk the ball. He might not have even touched the rim. But the slap was very obvious. Connecticut was leading by about 25 at the time, so it did not really affect the game or the outcome at all.

jeffpea Mon Mar 27, 2006 02:28pm

regardless of how many hands slap the backboard after a dunk - it should be an automatic T. That's an easy one to call - surprised it wasn't called.

cmathews Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:43am

rebounder slaps it

I was at a mens league tourney this weekend. In 2 games this guy gets a defensive rebound and slaps the board on his way down.....he slapped it pretty light, and in light of the tournament we were in and the fact that it was a double losers consolation bracket at the time he didn't get a T....and the funny thing is this guy is a state tournament official in our state LOL.....