I don't know 0 0%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 27, 2006, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
He travelled.
I'm curious to see why you would say this is a travel. It appears to me that after his dribble ends he lands on his right foot, then jumps to his left foot and shoots. This seems to be allowed by NFHS rules, not sure about NCAA.

Does NCAA not allow a jump stop? Or does the second landing of a jump stop have to be on both feet, not just on one?
Old Mon Mar 27, 2006, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgolf
I'm curious to see why you would say this is a travel. It appears to me that after his dribble ends he lands on his right foot, then jumps to his left foot and shoots. This seems to be allowed by NFHS rules, not sure about NCAA.

Does NCAA not allow a jump stop? Or does the second landing of a jump stop have to be on both feet, not just on one?
The reason this would be a travel is if he ends his dribble with the left foot on the ground. This is a close call and if you are not 100% sure then you should not call a travel. The travel rule is the same for NFHS and NCAA.

I originally brought this up because there are alot of travels that have become accepted basketball moves.

I'm trying to find some more videos of plays.
Old Fri Mar 31, 2006, 01:22am
Official Forum Member

Actually, I've got to disagree. This is most definitely a travel and it should be called before the block. The player's final dribble landed about 5 feet behind the 3 point line. His final step was maybe 5 feet inside the the foul line. Could he reasonably jump 17 feet in, supposedly, 1 step?

I agree that a good rule of thumb is to call the obvious. This is a blatant call. We need to re-train ourselves to look for them.
Old Fri Mar 31, 2006, 01:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to weirfanno1 Send a message via Yahoo to weirfanno1
I know refs don't call traveling that much but that was traveling he took like 3, 4 steps and there was a nice block. Thats why I can't watch Basketball anymore because of the lack of calls that should be mad during a game.
Old Fri Mar 31, 2006, 06:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to kiwiref Send a message via Yahoo to kiwiref
When a travel is not a travel...

I have to admit that, after repeated viewings, I have to agree with those who say there was a travel. However, to be honest, I can't see myself calling it in a game. Simply, the situation is so marginal that at a game speed I would not spare it another thought.
Old Fri Mar 31, 2006, 06:50am
Huck Finn

I had to go to my own site to see this play and remember it. This play was NOT put out because of travelling. This play was chosen by an official who is very, very good at breaking down tape and the call in question is block/charge. I would almost go so far as to say, if you are going to worry about that play being a travel with the athletes that play the game today, you will have a hard go of it. The proposed travel on that play is an ant; the block/charge is an elephant. If we can get the elephants and leave the ants alone we will be at or near the 80% mark and will have had a good game.

I've had more plays, but they all involve a NBA game and I know how that goes over. I will try to get some more college plays and put them up.

Oh, can the 5 people who say this is a charge step forward?
Old Fri Mar 31, 2006, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
I had to go to my own site to see this play and remember it. This play was NOT put out because of travelling. This play was chosen by an official who is very, very good at breaking down tape and the call in question is block/charge. I would almost go so far as to say, if you are going to worry about that play being a travel with the athletes that play the game today, you will have a hard go of it. The proposed travel on that play is an ant; the block/charge is an elephant. If we can get the elephants and leave the ants alone we will be at or near the 80% mark and will have had a good game.

I've had more plays, but they all involve a NBA game and I know how that goes over. I will try to get some more college plays and put them up.

was that a serious question? just a question, I call this a charge btw, could there be any diffrence between the rules set on how to call this? Iow, the others saying charge, what rules do you use? Fiba for me (unless u know that already scince I say it all the time )
Old Fri Mar 31, 2006, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
You can click on the voting number to see the names of those who voted.