The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   My first false multiple! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/25672-my-first-false-multiple.html)

Rita C Thu Mar 23, 2006 02:19am

My first false multiple!

(I don't know if I should be posting this so close to the dirty thread.):o

The visiting shooter is fouled. I'm in lead, and as the shot goes up home team shoves the offense to get better position.

Now I'm assuming that the ball is dead. (It's late, I'm tired, too tired to read my book.) So my foul seems to fit the category for false multiple. I report my foul.

My partner seems confused. He's apparently never had this happen either.

I think we administered correctly. Two free throws, then I whistled the ball dead and we administered the ball to vistors at the baseline.

Coach says, "You can have two fouls on one play?"

Rita

Adam Thu Mar 23, 2006 02:34am

No kidding, a false multiple. Nice job. The ball wasn't dead, though, until the shot was over.

You could have several fouls on this play, if the play was that physical.

Rita C Thu Mar 23, 2006 02:39am

I thought so. Live ball, dead ball still something I struggle with.

But it's still a false multiple, right?

Rita

Jurassic Referee Thu Mar 23, 2006 02:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rita C

The visiting shooter is fouled. I'm in lead, and as the shot goes up home team shoves the offense to get better position.

<font color = red>Now I'm assuming that the ball is dead</font>. (It's late, I'm tired, too tired to read my book.) So my foul seems to fit the category for false multiple. I report my foul.

My partner seems confused. He's apparently never had this happen either.

I think we administered correctly. Two free throws, then I whistled the ball dead and we administered the ball to vistors at the baseline.

Coach says, "You can have two fouls on one play?"

Rita

The second foul doesn't make the ball dead. The ball isn't dead until the shot is either good or no good. It is a false multiple though and you had the right idea in administering it. It's treated like a false double foul; you penalize the fouls in the order that they occur.

If the shot goes in, count it and the fouled shooter will get 1 free throw with no one on the lanes. If the shot didn't go, then the fouled shooter would get 2 or 3 free throws with no one on the lanes. If the visiting team is in the bonus, then the other player fouled would now get either 1 and 1 or 2 free throws with players on the lanes. If the visiting team isn't in the bonus yet, they would get a spot throw-in at the closest spot to where the second foul occurred.

BktBallRef Thu Mar 23, 2006 07:36am

Rita, just remember that the only foul that causes a shot in flight to become dead is a player control foul.

Otherwise, the ball remains live.

Corndog89 Fri Mar 24, 2006 02:20am

Quote:

Rita

Now that's funny, with her thread title. Good one, Rita.

Rita C Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corndog89
Now that's funny, with her thread title. Good one, Rita.

And I think you were the only one to get it.

Rita

Corndog89 Sat Mar 25, 2006 02:35am

Quote:

And I think you were the only one to get it.

Rita

Rita - I gotta tell ya, I was LMAO when I read it. You're a hoot...post of the year IMO! :)