The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Team control fouls (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/25569-team-control-fouls.html)

LTITOYS Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:57am

Where in the rule book (Highschool)does it say that a defender can not move for a charging foul.
Meaning this, A1 drives to the hoop and B1 leans a little to the side to soften the blow. Player control or block?
One of my co-officials says that the defending player can take a step backwards or move his torso to help soften the blow.

Need help with this.

Thanks in advance.

zebraman Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:06am

Quote:

Originally posted by LTITOYS
Where in the rule book (Highschool)does it say that a defender can not move for a charging foul.
Meaning this, A1 drives to the hoop and B1 leans a little to the side to soften the blow. Player control or block?
One of my co-officials says that the defending player can take a step backwards or move his torso to help soften the blow.

Need help with this.

Thanks in advance.

First of all, the situation you are describing is a player control foul, not a team control foul.

Unfortunately, it's not that simple. There isn't just one rule you can read that will give you the understanding you are looking for. You would have to read AND understand several rules including Rule 4-7 (Blocking/Charging), Rule 4-23 (Guarding), Rule 10-6 (Contact) and also read the case book plays associatied with those rules.

It depends on several factors including whether the defender had establish legal guarding position and whether or not the offensive player was a dribbler or had become an airborne shooter.

Z

Raymond Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:10am

Rule 4-33-6g addresses it in the NCAA rulebook...don't have my NFHS rulebook on me, but I think it says something similar.

Stat-Man Sat Mar 18, 2006 05:04pm

Quote:

First of all, the situation you are describing is a player control foul, not a team control foul.
[/B]
I've always been under the belief that a player control foul is a subset of team-control fouls because there are team control fouls that do not involve the player in control.

That's why we have a single signal for PC/TC, at least that's the way I see it. ;)

bob jenkins Sun Mar 19, 2006 08:11am

Quote:

Originally posted by Stat-Man
Quote:

I've always been under the belief that a player control foul is a subset of team-control fouls because there are team control fouls that do not involve the player in control.

That's why we have a single signal for PC/TC, at least that's the way I see it. ;) [/B]
Except, You can have a PC foul that's not also a TC foul.

Adam Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:23pm

Quote:

Originally posted by bob jenkins

?????

Jurassic Referee Sun Mar 19, 2006 01:04pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Snaqwells
Quote:

?????

Think airborne shooter after the try is released....

ChuckElias Sun Mar 19, 2006 01:10pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Snaqwells
Quote:

?????

Shot released, no TC, crash, PC.