The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NCAA rule clarification... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/25427-ncaa-rule-clarification.html)

ckrumm24 Fri Mar 10, 2006 01:51am

Shot is taken by player 1 team A and ball is in the air. team B player 2 commits foul by pushing player 2 team A in the back while the ball is in the air. The shot is made. What is the result of this play?

Ruling at the time was basket counts and team A gets to inbound ball.

I dont think corrrect let me know

thank you.

Jurassic Referee Fri Mar 10, 2006 03:15am

If team A is in the bonus, the basket counts and A2 will shoot 1/1 or 2 free throws, depending on the number of fouls team B has.

If team A is not in the bonus, the basket counts and team A gets the ball at the closest spot to the foul for a throw-in.

I think correct.

Welcome to the forum.

bebanovich Fri Mar 10, 2006 04:04am

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
If team A is in the bonus, the basket counts and A2 will shoot 1/1 or 2 free throws, depending on the number of fouls team B has.

If team A is not in the bonus, the basket counts and team A gets the ball at the closest spot to the foul for a throw-in.

I think correct.

Welcome to the forum.

I saw a similar play recently . . . basket counted and A2 was awarded 1 free throw. I'm pretty sure I was watching NCAA at the time but I'm not 100% nor am I in a position to vouch for correctness of ruling.

Nevadaref Fri Mar 10, 2006 04:50am

Quote:

Originally posted by bebanovich
I saw a similar play recently . . . basket counted and A2 was awarded 1 free throw. I'm pretty sure I was watching NCAA at the time but I'm not 100% nor am I in a position to vouch for correctness of ruling.

I think that the NBA might handle it that way, I'm not sure, nor do I care about the NBA.

However, that is certainly NOT the correct method for NCAA or NFHS competition. For those levels of basketball, JR gave the correct way in his post above.

Rick82358 Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:38pm

JR and Nevada got this one -
NCAA and NFHS the foul is a seperate act from the shot and has to be enforced as such - Since the shooter wasn't fouled - you either have bonus shots or ball out of bounds nearest spot -

bebanovich Fri Mar 10, 2006 04:01pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:

[i]
I think that the NBA might handle it that way, I'm not sure, nor do I care about the NBA.
NBA it must've been. Thanks.

NBA, I wish I could quit you.

refTN Fri Mar 10, 2006 05:46pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:

However, that is certainly NOT the correct method for NCAA or NFHS competition. For those levels of basketball, JR gave the correct way in his post above.

You're right the NBA does handle it that way. They have a rule that says if the offensive team is fouled and the basket counts, you can't award the offensive team the ball out of bounds, you give the offended player one free throw.

Nevadaref Sun Mar 12, 2006 02:59am

Quote:

NBA, I wish I could quit you.

You could try the patch. :)

Or do what I do, only watch an NBA game if given FREE tickets.