The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Billy Packer vs. Dick Vitale (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/25388-billy-packer-vs-dick-vitale.html)

MajorCord Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:15am

Just for fun, which of these two could you do WITHOUT?

tjones1 Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:33am

Both! But if I had to pick one I think I'd be kicking Dickie V out the door. I can take someone not knowing the rules, but someone not knowing the rules and who is annoying is just too much. ;)

M&M Guy Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:38am

Quote:

Originally posted by tjones1
I can take someone not knowing the rules, but someone not knowing the rules and who is annoying is just too much. ;)
But, you just described both of them!

tjones1 Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:40am

Quote:

Originally posted by M&M Guy
Quote:

Originally posted by tjones1
I can take someone not knowing the rules, but someone not knowing the rules and who is annoying is just too much. ;)
But, you just described both of them!

Well...true, but Dickie takes the cake in my opinion.

tomegun Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:17am

Get rid of Dickie V. He would still have his Duke check to fall back on. They are paying him aren't they? :D

LarryS Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:43am

Shucks...I thought this was about a cage match to the death between the two of them.

I'll keep Packer...I just detest Vitale.

Snake~eyes Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:47am

I'd toss Packer, I could have sworn I've heard Dickie V talk semi-intelligent about rules before. If it happened once, it can happen again. YEAA BABY

JRutledge Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:51am

Can you name any analyst that knows the rules? If that was the criteria then there would be no TV commentators.

Peace

Jesse James Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:59am

Quote:

Originally posted by JRutledge
Can you name any analyst that knows the rules? If that was the criteria then there would be no TV commentators.

Peace

Jimmy Dykes

JRutledge Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:05pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jesse James
Quote:

Peace

Jimmy Dykes

Jimmy Dykes is more analytical but he still says things that are off the wall from time to time. He just does not spend all his time ripping people. He still uses the terms "over the back" and "moving screen." I will admit that he does talk about verticality and gives the officials credit for calling the game.

Peace

Jesse James Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:16pm

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Peace

Jimmy Dykes

Jimmy Dykes is more analytical but he still says things that are off the wall from time to time. He just does not spend all his time ripping people. He still uses the terms "over the back" and "moving screen." I will admit that he does talk about verticality and gives the officials credit for calling the game.

Peace

We have state final officials in a state that borders yours, that I've heard use those terms when reporting fouls to the table. Does that mean they don't know the rules either?

WhistlesAndStripes Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:26pm

Quote:

Peace

Jay Bilas

JRutledge Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:27pm

Quote:

We have state final officials in a state that borders yours, that I've heard use those terms when reporting fouls to the table. Does that mean they don't know the rules either?

If you are using the term "over the back" in my opinion you do not know that particular rule very well.

Just because someone works the State Finals does not make them a quality official. I know a few D1 officials that have never worked a HS varsity game. Are they any less of an official because of their lack of HS experience? ;)

Peace

rainmaker Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:39pm

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Peace

Jimmy Dykes

Peace

Well, maybe. I cringe when I hear officials say these things. I really do wonder if they know the rules.

Jesse James Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:41pm

Quote:

Quote:

If you are using the term "over the back" in my opinion you do not know that particular rule very well.

Just because someone works the State Finals does not make them a quality official. I know a few D1 officials that have never worked a HS varsity game. Are they any less of an official because of their lack of HS experience? ;)

Peace

Or, you might know the rule very well, and while giving the push signal at the table, say, over the back, instead of push, or push in the back.