http://www.telegram.com/apps/pbcs.dl...69/1009/SPORTS
Old Mon Mar 06, 2006, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

All I can say is WOW!

Quote:
South lost 61-58
Quote:
double-overtime, 60-56
If the referee's didn't want South to win would they let the game go to double overtime?

Quote:
“As soon as we made the run, I knew what was going to happen,” Williams said. “I said to the kids, ‘watch how the game is going to be taken out of our hands,’ and it was.
This is unbelievable! This coach should definitely be reprimanded.
Old Mon Mar 06, 2006, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
“As soon as we made the run, I knew what was going to happen,” Williams said. “I said to the kids, ‘watch how the game is going to be taken out of our hands,’ and it was.
Isn't this the self-fulfilling prophecy in action?
a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
Arnold Palmer
Old Mon Mar 06, 2006, 12:02pm
In Memoriam

Arrow

I believe that what the coach said could be true.
Old Mon Mar 06, 2006, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Mar 06, 2006, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

I,m sorry but I have worked many college games with Bill Dugan and have found him to be a very good, professional referee. I have not seen any hint of raceism with Bill before, during or after a game. Bill gets many of these post season asignments in both high school and college because he is a good referee. I did not see the game but can only speak of Bills integrity.
Old Mon Mar 06, 2006, 01:02pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
That would be generically and not specifically.
I certainly do not know those officials.

Whether the favoritism goes to the home team, the losing team, the unskilled team, the wrong colored team, I despise it when I see it, and I feel most awkward when I work a game with such an official.

Old Mon Mar 06, 2006, 01:12pm
Esteemed Participant

We used to have a HS coach out here in WA who would do the same thing...anytime he lost in a regional or State tournament, he would blast the refs for being racist - he coached a team that was mostly, if not all, black...so at the Regional tournament one year, the "powers-that=be" made sure that he had all African-American crews in all of his games. Turns out he lost twice and didn't even make it to State. The reporter who had written the articles the previous two years where the coach claimed racism called the coach on it, and the coach's response was (as near a quote as I can remember) "Just because they're black doesn't mean they're any good."

People like that will ALWAYS find a reason to blame someone else whan they don't win...
Old Mon Mar 06, 2006, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

WOW!! Look at the stones on that coach!!!
Old Mon Mar 06, 2006, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
A coach who says to his kids, "You can't win this because of someone else's attitudes" should be imprisoned. He should be banned from any contact with children. Even if every accusation he makes is accurate (which I doubt), still it doesn't help kids get ahead to hear this kind of stuff.

And the paper should not have printed this garbage. It is only inflammatory and never helps anything. And way, way, way too many column inches.
Old Mon Mar 06, 2006, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
A coach who says to his kids, "You can't win this because of someone else's attitudes" should be imprisoned. He should be banned from any contact with children. Even if every accusation he makes is accurate (which I doubt), still it doesn't help kids "overcome" to hear this kind of stuff.

And the paper should not have printed this garbage. It is only inflammatory and never helps anything. And way, way, way too many column inches.
Old Mon Mar 06, 2006, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Those who play the race card over and over again need only look in the mirror to find the true racist.
Old Mon Mar 06, 2006, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Great message for his players. When you lose, play the race card and blame someone else. I would hope this guy is fired. Classy move by the paper to include the official's names.
Old Mon Mar 06, 2006, 01:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

Perceptions of officials do not start and end with where people live or who someone knows. Race is a factor. If you want to give the perception that everything is fair, you should not have only one set of people working all those games. I am sure these officials did nothing wrong at all, but the perception is this coach does not ever see (from what he says) Black officials and whether any of us want to deal with that or not, race is still a big issue in this country. If we talk about on this site often about not working games in a town where you live or a school that you attended, why is race never a factor in this discussion either?

A great way to take away that perception is to put some Black officials on their games and he cannot use that as an excuse anymore. When you have only one group of people working a game, you open yourself up for that criticism. You cannot tell me someone Black in that area could not work those games sometimes.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 06, 2006, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

My 2 cents (flame away)

Why did this coach assume the refs were racist? Our inner city girls HS teams play non-league games against Catholic school teams, using their league refs, and very often we also see some lopsided-ness in foul calls. It never crossed my mind that the refs were racist. We deal with it by trying to score more FGs.
Closed Thread