The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 22, 2006, 01:07am
Official Forum Member

Question

I know this has been covered before, but can't find the thread.

For those that have them....what do you folks out there use to care for your patent leather shoes?

Obviously, not much shining involved, but the odd scuff mark - what can you use to buff those away?

I think I remember someone suggesting furniture polish, but wasn't sure.

Old Sat Mar 04, 2006, 05:20am
Official Forum Member

I ran across this product advertised for your shoes. I haven't used it, so your on your own.

http://www.honigs.com/browse_products.asp?Cat=2&Sub=11

Hope it helps.
Old Sat Mar 04, 2006, 07:43am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by canuckrefguy

For those that have them....what do you folks out there use to care for your patent leather shoes?

Obviously, not much shining involved, but the odd scuff mark - what can you use to buff those away?

Rent a floor polisher. Put your shoes on their sides against a wall, with the tops facing you. Hold the polisher against the shoes for 25 minutes and 38 seconds. Those nasty scuff marks will be gone.

It's true, it's true.......
Old Sat Mar 04, 2006, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rpirtle Send a message via Yahoo to rpirtle
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by canuckrefguy

Rent a floor polisher. Put your shoes on their sides against a wall, with the tops facing you. Hold the polisher against the shoes for 25 minutes and 38 seconds. Those nasty scuff marks will be gone.

It's true, it's true.......
I tried it and it's true...it really works. The scuff marks are gone. Now I have a nice pair of rubber-soled, black basketball sandals for when I do my beach-basketball tournament this weekend. Thanks a lot, Jur...!!!
Old Sun Mar 05, 2006, 02:29pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally posted by Time2Ref
I ran across this product advertised for your shoes. I haven't used it, so your on your own.

http://www.honigs.com/browse_products.asp?Cat=2&Sub=11

Hope it helps.
From my experience with this product, it just basically shines them.

Old Sun Mar 05, 2006, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Well....just my 2-cents!

Using my past military experience with my dress patent leather shoes, here's how I keep my patent leather referee shoes looking good.

Hopefully, your shoes are "true" patent leather rather than a synthetic imitation. (I own two brands....The original Converse "Whistle" and the OCs. Both are true patent leather shoes). True patent leather will not "marr" or "melt" when you gently use lighter fluid to work the scuff off the surface. I use a cotton ball, slightly dampened with the lighter fluid, to lightly work the scuff off. (Most scuffs come from the rubber sole edge that catches the other shoe when you switch directions on quick transitions.) Try the lighter fluid on an area of your shoe that doesn't show before you go wild on the more visible areas. Once you've cleaned the scuff off, a quick treatment of any of the commercial patent leather "cleaner" products on the market will maintain a nice shiny finish. I have used "Kiwi" Leather Scuff Remover (3.5 FL. OZ. Spray)and Honig's "Lack Polish" Patent Leather Polish (#A24) with good results.

Finally, I use Pledge Furniture Polish "wipes" to touch up the shoes just before each game. Be careful that you don't get any of the waxy solution on the bottoms of your shoes, otherwise you may as well wear roller skates to work your game. I keep the wipe in a small zip lock bag because I've found that the wipe can be re-used for several applications before it's totally dried out.

Good luck, canuckrefguy! I hope this will help you out.
Old Sun Mar 05, 2006, 06:18pm
M.A.S.H.

imaref,

Certainly helps me out... thanks!
Old Sun Mar 05, 2006, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rpirtle Send a message via Yahoo to rpirtle
Imaref, awesome post. I own a pair of the Converse and will try it out. Thanks so much.
Old Tue Mar 07, 2006, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Just remember, after you apply the lighter fluid, light up the shoes and throw them away after they incinerate.

Patent leather and polyester. Uggh.

Disco Stu says "Hey, I should have been a ref!"