The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Message from a fanboy! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/25338-message-fanboy.html)

BktBallRef Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:40pm

Has anyone seen JJ Redick?

HOW 'BOUT THEM HEELS!?! :)

tomegun Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:53pm

I think it is wrong when the media says Duke already has a #1 seed locked up.

As you already know, I had Lawson tonight. You are going to LOVE having him on your team next year! He isn't playing at the high school level right now and it isn't fair. He will be your starter at point next year.

Seeing Duke lose in March...priceless!

BktBallRef Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:16am

Yep, we have the #1 PG (Lawson), #1 SG (Wayne Ellington), #1 PF (Brendan Wright) and #3 center (Deon Thompson).

Looking forward to next year but these kids could make some noise this year. ;)

mick Sun Mar 05, 2006 08:28am

Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef

Fun game !
...Hansbrough. Wow!
It's amazing the Heels could beat that team in that place without taking care of the ball. I guess it was meant to be.

I really enjoyed Valentine's blocking on Coach K to keep him in the box, in the game, and avoiding the T. Great game management. At that point of the game in Cameron, a T woulda been really, really ugly.

Go Heels!
mick

ChuckElias Sun Mar 05, 2006 08:52am

Quote:

Originally posted by mick
I really enjoyed Valentine's blocking on Coach K to keep him in the box, in the game, and avoiding the T. Great game management. At that point of the game in Cameron, a T woulda been really, really ugly.
Agree 100%!!!! What a great move by Teddy V. He saved Coach K a T and did it without being confrontational. He was talking to him while facing away from him. You could read Ted's lips, saying, "Mike. . . Mike", just trying to divert his attention from his partner.

I was watching without sound (wife was sleeping), so I don't know exactly what he was so upset about. But I thought Ted did a truly masterful job of managing the situation.

mick Sun Mar 05, 2006 08:56am

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
I was watching without sound (wife was sleeping), so I don't know exactly what he was so upset about. But I thought Ted did a truly masterful job of managing the situation.
Chuck,
According to the announcers (they were closer than I) it was about a no-call by one of Valentine's partners.

PGCougar Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:01am

Quote:

I thought it was an illegal screen, but then again, maybe Valentine did have legal guarding position! ;)

I really agree with your observation. It didn't hit me at the time I saw it, but as I reflect on your comments, it's great to get an official's perspective about game management and presence of mind at a pivotal point in the game where the emotions are heated and raw. Great observation Mick.

[Edited by PGCougar on Mar 5th, 2006 at 11:03 AM]

tjones1 Sun Mar 05, 2006 02:24pm

Quote:

Quote:

Go Heels!
mick

I thought it was a text book way to handle the situation. Teddy's back to Coach K with his arms crossed, that way he doesn't touch him.

Again, great game management.

Forksref Sun Mar 05, 2006 02:28pm

Quote:

Diaper Dandies Dump Dook at Kremlin Indoor Stadium: PRICELESS!

BktBallRef Sun Mar 05, 2006 04:57pm

He talked about it in the presser after the game.

Quote:

Quote:

Chuck,
According to the announcers (they were closer than I) it was about a no-call by one of Valentine's partners.

He wanted Hansbrough's FT waved off because one of the Carolina players stepped on the 3 point line during the FT.

He was a heat of the moment thing. He admitted that it had nothing to do with losing the game but pointed out that it was a violation.

assignmentmaker Sun Mar 05, 2006 07:06pm

Re: He talked about it in the presser after the game.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Chuck,

He wanted Hansbrough's FT waved off because one of the Carolina players stepped on the 3 point line during the FT.

He was a heat of the moment thing. He admitted that it had nothing to do with losing the game but pointed out that it was a violation.

Ah, the why write the rule as crisp when you're going to enforce it as fuzzy stuff. Didn't we just actually have this discussion, pre-game, as it were!

I like what Valentine did. It helps that Valentine could probably take Coach K. It's harder to turn one's back on a large, scarey upset individual . . .

TussAgee11 Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:07am

The reason K was mad

If you look at the tape, during a one and one, a Carolina player runs in from behing the 3 point line before the ball hits the rim. It is very clear. The official came in before the next shot (it was good) and told the player something. The next time he didn't go in until it hit the rim.

I think K thought the ref just didn't want to make a call of that magnitude at that point of the game (especially since it had no real affect on the play). But the ref did see it, and should have called it, technically speaking. Coaches can get mad at that.

Good work by Teddy, normally not a big fan of is but a well officiated game on Saturday night.

BktBallRef Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:17am

It had no bearing on the play whatsoever, as it was the first of two. Say what you will but I would have handled it the same way. I'm sure the official would have handled it the same way if Duke had been shooting.

BktBallRef Thu Mar 09, 2006 03:37pm

UNC-Duke Is Most-Watched Men's College Basketball Game In ESPN History

March 7, 2006

CHAPEL HILL --- Coverage of North Carolina'S 83-76 win at No. 1 ranked Duke on March 4 set a record for the largest audience for a men's college basketball in ESPN history (more than 26 years), according to Nieslen Media Research.

It was also the fourth most-watched basketball game - men's or women's, college or pro - in ESPN history. The game, which was featured live on both ESPN (traditional coverage) and ESPN2 (from "Above the Rim" camera) as part of the new Full Circle initiative, was seen by an average of 3.78 million households on the two networks combined. Every other ESPN entity also covered the game for Full Circle; however, the Nielsen numbers only reflect ESPN and ESPN2's audience.

LarryS Thu Mar 09, 2006 05:05pm

Quote:

It had no bearing on the play whatsoever, as it was the first of two. Say what you will but I would have handled it the same way. I'm sure the official would have handled it the same way if Duke had been shooting.
I know my philosophy would probably keep me from ever getting a state championship game much less make it to D1 (that and the fact that I was 45 when I started calling). However...what other rules do you ignore during critical moments of a game?

An official I know called two three second violations in a state finals. He also said he called a clear lane violation in the last half of the 4th quarter semi-final game that year. This last weekend I saw a lane violation called with 4 minutes left in a regional finals game...score tied.

If there is an obvious foul or violation and you pass on it...are you not intentionally putting the other team at a disadvantage? Guys playing in the UNC-Duke game are some of the best "non-professional" basketball players in America and have been playing for years.

If the coach does not like the call all he has to do is make sure his players don't violate.