The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 06:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to lukealex
Team A shoots the ball, rebound is tipped by Team A (or Team B) but no control by either team, A1 gains control of the ball while in air (both feet off ground), one foot lands in front court, second foot lands in backcourt. A1's foot landed in the frontcourt before A1's other foot landed in the backcourt. A1 is now straddling the halfcourt line.

Legal? Illegal?
Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 06:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lukealex
Team A shoots the ball, rebound is tipped by Team A (or Team B) but no control by either team, A1 gains control of the ball while in air (both feet off ground), one foot lands in front court, second foot lands in backcourt. A1's foot landed in the frontcourt before A1's other foot landed in the backcourt. A1 is now straddling the halfcourt line.

Legal? Illegal?
When A1 gained control of the ball, s/he was in the front court, so the ball gained front court location at that point and Team A gained control. It doesn't then matter that A1 lands with a foot in the frontcourt first. Either way, foot down or direct flight to the backcourt, it's a backcourt violation. There is no 'exception' for this case.
Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 06:52pm
Official Forum Member

Legal.

A1 caught it with neither foot on the floor at a time when A didn't have team control. A1 had a normal landing with one foot in the frontcourt and one in the backcourt. Not sure what the case number is but this is explicited listed as not a backcourt violation.
Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 06:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Legal.

A1 caught it with neither foot on the floor at a time when A didn't have team control. A1 had a normal landing with one foot in the frontcourt and one in the backcourt. Not sure what the case number is but this is explicited listed as not a backcourt violation.
Don't the 'exceptions' only apply to a STEAL and an INBOUNDS pass?
Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by assignmentmaker
Quote:
Legal.

You may be right. However, it doesn't refer to it as a steal. It refers to it with regards to a defensive player. The question is whether the team that doesn't have control is on defense...or is anyone on defense? It would seem to have the intent of applying to situations where the team is gaining control.
Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 07:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by assignmentmaker
Quote:
Legal.

You may be right. However, it doesn't refer to it as a steal. It refers to it with regards to a defensive player. The question is whether the team that doesn't have control is on defense...or is anyone on defense? It would seem to have the intent of applying to situations where the team is gaining control.

The origin of the exception was, in part anyway, to reward a good defensive play - thus a 'steal'. 9-9-3 says, in effect, the 'exception' for a normal landing from the front court into the backcourt applies to "defensive player or during a jump ball or throw-in."
Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 07:33pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Legal.

Disagree completely, Camron. Team control was established in A's front court when A1 established team control with one foot in the front court and the other foot in the air. It's a backcourt violation if A1 then steps into the backcourt with the ball. The exception applies only to a defensive player stealing a pass, or any player during a jump ball or throw-in. A1 was an offensive player as soon as he established player control of the ball with one foot in the frontcourt and one foot in the air.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Mar 1st, 2006 at 08:01 PM]
Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 07:46pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

My understanding (without having unpacked my rule books yet) is that the "exception" (now written into the rule) is that a player whose team is not in control of the ball may jump from anywhere, secure the ball, and make a normal landing.
When the legal play expanded to include the inbounds pass, I assume it also includes this play.
Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

Violation

I agree with Jurassic.
Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member

What is a normal landing.

The violation occurs when A1 who is established in the frontcourt with the ball with one foot, steps into the backcourt with the other foot. Stand on one foot, catch the ball, you are now in the front court (doesnt matter where the ball came from or where you jumped from). Now step into the backcourt with the other foot, Backcourt Violation.

Had it been a 2 foot jump stop with both feet hitting the ground at the same time with one in the back court and one in the front court then its legal (and A1 is legally in the back court and the 10 second count begins). Front court first then back court illegal.

[Edited by psycho_ref on Mar 1st, 2006 at 07:55 PM]
Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 07:59pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

The rule states that with a normal landing, one foot may come down first and it doesn't matter if it's front court or backcourt. Now, if the kid lands on one foot, holds the other in the air for a few seconds, and then places the 2nd foot into the BC, you can call the violation.
Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

Normal landing reference.

Can you give me the rule number in the book?

Thanks.
Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 08:21pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Okay, I found the 2004-2005 rule book in my garage. I don't think the NFHS made any changes to the BC rule this year.
I take the parenthetical statement to be a couple of examples of the phrase "from the team not in control" which, in my estimation, also includes all rebounders from the time a shot is attempted until the rebound is secured.

Rule 9-9
A player shall not...
Art 1. Be the first to touch....
Art 2. While in team control....
Furthermore...
Art 3. A player from the team not in control (defensive player or during a jump ball or throwin) may legally jump from his/her frontcourt, secure control of the ball with both feet off the floor and return to the floor with one or both feet in the backcourt. The player may make a normal landing and it makes no difference whether the first foot down is in the frontcourt or backcourt.

Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

I respectfully disagree with Snaq and Camron. Guys, it's right there in black and white. There's no disptuing it.

9-9-3
A player from the team not in control (defensive player or during a jump ball or throwin) may legally jump from his/her frontcourt, secure control of the ball with both feet off the floor and return to the floor with one or both feet in the backcourt. The player may make a normal landing and it makes no difference whether the first foot down is in the frontcourt or backcourt.

There is no team control, so there is no defensive player.
There is no throw-in.
There is no jump ball.

The rule does not say that "a rebounder when neither team has team control," as Snaq suggests. Now, it is similiar to the conditions cited in the rule and it maybe something the NFHS should consider. But as the rule is presently written, this is not legal. Violation.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Thanks.

Thanks Snaqwells. I guess it could be legal or illegal depending on the landing. Whether the step to the bc was a delayed step into the back court or part of a normal landing.

Separately, I guess they should add 'rebound off a missed shot' as one of the exceptions, along with 'jump ball, throw-in, and defensive play'. Which would make sense since there is no team control after a missed shot.

Thanks Snaq. Will read more on it.

Any other thoughts anyone?