The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   How many technicals have you called this year? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/25247-how-many-technicals-have-you-called-year.html)

lmeadski Tue Feb 28, 2006 02:42pm

Who has the record for this year?

irefky Tue Feb 28, 2006 02:45pm

Coaches-1
book problems-2
players-2

=5

crazy voyager Tue Feb 28, 2006 02:51pm

I suppose you mean this season and not year 2006, anyway

1 C
4 player T
1 DQ

I think that's it

5 T's
1 D

Rick Durkee Tue Feb 28, 2006 02:58pm

I only gave two. That puts me in the lead, so far!

Raymond Tue Feb 28, 2006 03:03pm

No records for me.

High School (3):
-Coach at half court after I make a foul call
-Contact technical on player
-Delay of game (after made basket)

Men's JuCo (2):
Ironically the same thing both times. Double technicals for taunting by opposing players with identical numbers following fouls on dunk attempts.

Adult Rec/Military Intramurals:
As many as I could!!!

Rick82358 Tue Feb 28, 2006 03:06pm

I had a total of ten this year in 43 games High School and Prep School
4 were administrative or mandatory - Book problems - Illegal subs etc.
2 were coaches with nothing better to do but whine

3 were players on the floor

and The best one -
My partner from the lead position had just issued a technical to the home bench for an undetermined player mouthing off about a call - the whole gym heard it - as he passed the end of the bench moving up toward the table to issue the player in the last seat stood up and hagged his finger in the no no motion just after my partner passed by. From the trail I had the perfect view and needless to say so did the coach who was looking down the same line I was at the time.
After the game the center official told us he was pretty sure that the player who I whacked, was the one who mouthed off about the call

tjones1 Tue Feb 28, 2006 03:09pm

2 players (1 middle school, 1 high school)
1 middle school coach

0 for the coaches box! :D

Anyone stick a coach for the box this year??

M&M Guy Tue Feb 28, 2006 03:21pm

Quote:

Originally posted by tjones1
1 middle school coach

Ironically, yes, but not HS.

coaches - 2
players - 1

WhistlesAndStripes Tue Feb 28, 2006 03:22pm

Only 2--

1 ASSistant coach for, well, acting like an ASSistant coach.
1 Player for chirping off while she was standing on the edge of the floor, waiting for her coach to give her permission to sit down after she had just fouled out. He had been notified, so it was indirect on him as well.

Fluck em all.

tjones1 Tue Feb 28, 2006 03:25pm

Quote:

Originally posted by M&M Guy
Quote:

Originally posted by tjones1
1 middle school coach

Ironically, yes, but not HS.

coaches - 2
players - 1

:D
I can always count on you Jim!!!

Snake~eyes Tue Feb 28, 2006 04:17pm

Well if we include just HS:
1 Adminstrative Technical foul for changing a player's number
2 for Head Coach out of Box
1 Player Taunting
1 double technical foul for deadball contact
1 double technial foul for trash talking

I think that's it so that adds up to a total of 8

I don't even try to keep track for rec ball.

FishinRef Tue Feb 28, 2006 04:23pm

Just H.S.

1 Head Coach
2 Asst Coach (No explaination needed)
3 Players (2 for mouth, 1 for throwing ball)
1 Admin (Listed starter with wrong number)

[Edited by FishinRef on Feb 28th, 2006 at 04:26 PM]

JRutledge Tue Feb 28, 2006 04:29pm

Three or 4. Two of the Ts were on players. The other two Ts, one was in a HC game and the other was in a college game. That was rather high for me normally. Many times I am lucky if I get one T the entire year.

Peace

RefNVa Tue Feb 28, 2006 04:34pm

In ninety-some games, about 10, probablly should have been more but I'm gettin' soft in my old age.

Ignats75 Tue Feb 28, 2006 04:38pm

High School (Approx 35 games)
2 on coaches.
1 administrative
3 on players.

(I also kicked out 4 fans--2 more than in my two previous years combined)

Raymond Tue Feb 28, 2006 04:41pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Ignats75

Just curious. What mechanics/methods/processes did you use to eject the fans.

I luckily have never had to resort to this extreme. I did however witness a JuCo official eject a fan once and in my very humble opinion I didn't think he handled the situation as well as he could have.

Dan_ref Tue Feb 28, 2006 04:47pm

Quote:

Originally posted by BadNewsRef
Quote:

Originally posted by Ignats75

Just curious. What mechanics/methods/processes did you use to eject the fans.

I luckily have never had to resort to this extreme. I did however witness a JuCo official eject a fan once and in my very humble opinion I didn't think he handled the situation as well as he could have.

If you must eject a fan quietly have security take care of it.

Ignats75 Tue Feb 28, 2006 04:58pm

The mechanic is a simple two step process:

1> Point to the Fan
2> Point to the door.:D

At a CYO 7th grade tournament, an obnoxious Dad was ejected and refused to leave. I told the scoreboard operator to put :30 on the clock and that if the father was still in the gym when the horn sounded, the game was over; and then I walked away.

When the horn sounded, I turned around and lo and behold, loudmouth was gone.

In Ohio, it seems that the fan behavior is getting worse. THere is actually a bill in the State Senate right now raising the level of crime for assaulting officials.

[Edited by Ignats75 on Feb 28th, 2006 at 05:00 PM]

MajorCord Tue Feb 28, 2006 05:02pm

55!

In my mind, at least. :)

In actuality,

2 rec. coaches

1 middle school assistant coach, and that one turned out to be a mistake on my part :(

0 in JV/Varsity.

bgtg19 Tue Feb 28, 2006 05:03pm

For high school varsity (approx. 32 games), I think I had about 9 (1 book, 4 kids, 4 coaches -- on the kids or coaches, that may be off by one). That's certainly a new high for me in one season ... and probably more than I called in my first seven seasons combined. In the last few years, I've been more willing to give them when earned.

M&M Guy Tue Feb 28, 2006 05:13pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Dan_ref
If you must eject a fan quietly have security take care of it.
Of the fan ejections I have seen, this is the best way I've seen to handle it. Know who your site supervisor/AD/principal/security guard is before the game. Then, if there's a problem fan, go talk to that site supervisor, and have them take care of the problem. I've seen too many instances where the official tries to take care of it themselves, and it makes things worse because of confrontations, other fans getting into it, etc. Let security handle it while you get on with the game.

FrankHtown Tue Feb 28, 2006 05:14pm

My most memorable was a G JV. Player steals the ball from the opponent. Opponent then yells out, "You b**ch!!!"

It was like time stood still for 3 or 4 seconds.....

Chess Ref Tue Feb 28, 2006 05:36pm

Out of the Box

I am on the Frosh/Jv circuit. So no Varsity t's. I got to the last 1/3 rd of my season and I had it with the coaches. It is like these people are wild, homeless, animals. I know it's lower level and the quality of everyone involved is not Varsity level but the coaches need to start acting like adults/role models.
I am more than willing to work with coaches but not these escapees from the local zoo. Out of the box, yelling at me. Automatic T. No cajoling them to behave properly, no screaming at me allowed, no threatening me with parking lot justice, no nothing.
Next to last game the assignor and the owner of the assigning company (125 schools) show up. Early 2 QTR ball goes OOB at end of bench. I am getting ready to administer throw-in and lo and behold there is a screaming lunatic in my face. He was about 10 feet out of the box. Tweet T. Partner thought I should have worked with the coach, you know offer something like sexual favors or whatever to get back in the box and act in accordance with the guidelines established for animals, I mean coaches. halftime the bosses came in and lo and behold they about wet themselves they were SO HAPPY that someone is enforcing the coaching box rules. Last 15 games 12 T's, 10 of them coaching box violations,2 for kids dropping F bombs.

I know some people think that the T's are a crutch but someone on here also pointed out it is just another foul. It Is not that hard to stay within the little white taped lines we put down. I regret not 1 of the coaching box T's.

BloggingRefGuy Tue Feb 28, 2006 06:00pm

48 games, about 2/3 HS girls, most of them varsity.

1 assistant coach.
1 illegal substitution.

Not a bad year. Maybe coaches are getting more polite.

Nah, I don't think so either.

BktBallRef Tue Feb 28, 2006 06:41pm

Quote:

Originally posted by lmeadski
How many travels did you call?

How many personal fouls did you call?

Who cares?

I have no idea how many I called. I remember it during the game, then it's over.

BayStateRef Tue Feb 28, 2006 06:52pm

In H.S.: one to a player who came onto the court from the bench and started to chase a player who had a breakaway layup. (As an aside...no matter what the book says, it is very hard to "hold the whistle" and let the player make the layup before you blow the "T.")

In youth: one to an assistant coach and three to players (two for using a certain 4-letter word and one for being a jerk toward the officials.)

smoref Tue Feb 28, 2006 07:01pm

1 in JUCO on a coach. Mine was 1 of about 15 she got and I think she is still wondering how they finished 0 - 18

1 in D-3 on a coach. She actually thanked me afterward and then went off on her players while the other team shot the FT

robertclasalle Tue Feb 28, 2006 07:14pm

3 for me in about 50 HS freshmen, JV and varsity games:

1 book - wrong number, easy call, no argument

1 player - really bad taunting, easy call, no argument

1 coach - spiked his water bottle after my partner's call on something, it broke open, wet the floor and my pants legs, easy call, no argument

I guess I learned that most t-fouls are easy, at least mine were. IMHO, intentional foul calls are more difficult, especially if we enforce the rule the way the rules committee wants us to enforce it, but that's another thread for another day.

mplagrow Tue Feb 28, 2006 07:19pm

Let's see. . . one player for slamming the floor with his hands in response to a call (first game of the season).

Two players for delay of game infractions.

One coach. He kept yelling at me that I HAD to call a foul. What could I do? I did!

So that's four. Plus I tossed two fans. One more than in the previous 12 years combined.

Forksref Tue Feb 28, 2006 07:22pm

1 in 32 V/JV games this year. That is about normal for me.

Ironically, the T was on a head coach who complained about a call that went his way! Way to use your head fella!

One more night this year. I go to the res. and that will be interesting.

RefNVa Tue Feb 28, 2006 09:18pm

I alsmost tossed the mother of a player in a rec game the other night. During a live ball,just after the start of the 1/2, she came out on the floor to tell her son to tighten his draw string. When I told her that she couldn't be out on the court her retort as she was leaving was, "You better back off!" Go figure!

Camron Rust Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:27pm

I don't really know...I don't put a notch in my belt to remember them.

I do, however, have one that I wish I had not called and another that I passed on that I should have called. Those I remember...to not make the same mistakes again.

BktBallRef Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:55pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Camron Rust

I do, however, have one that I wish I had not called and another that I passed on that I should have called. Those I remember...to not make the same mistakes again.

Exactly my point. I have no idea how many, or few, I've called this year. I can remember one on a coach if the topic comes up or I remember if I wish I had passed or done something differently. But remember the count? Nope.

Rich Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:57am

Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:

Originally posted by Camron Rust

Exactly my point. I have no idea how many, or few, I've called this year. I can remember one on a coach if the topic comes up or I remember if I wish I had passed or done something differently. But remember the count? Nope.

If I had about a dozen, I wouldn't know. But I had 2, so I can remember. My T count still exceeded the number of 3-second violations I called :D

Dribble Wed Mar 01, 2006 01:17am

Quote:

No records for me.

High School:

What "contact" technical did you have? Was it during play? If so, wouldn't a flagrant or intentional personal be your call?

NICK Wed Mar 01, 2006 02:00am

Raymond Wed Mar 01, 2006 08:24am

Quote:

Originally posted by Dribble
Quote:

No records for me.

High School:

What "contact" technical did you have? Was it during play? If so, wouldn't a flagrant or intentional personal be your call?

A1 defensive rebound (big, strong 6' 6" kid), has a couple of defenders surrounding him attempting to get ball. A1 has the ball up high and elbows out. He's pivots with ball, but not swinging elbows. B1 whacks A1 on the arm, I blow whistle for foul. A1 pivots one more time and elbow connects with B1's head. I didn't feel contact was intentional nor flagrant, but it was severe enough to warrant a technical.

My supervisor/assignor was in attendance. He felt I handled the situation properly.

tomegun Wed Mar 01, 2006 09:06am

Quote:

Quote:

Who cares?

I have no idea how many I called. I remember it during the game, then it's over.

Tony, I'm with you on this one. I guess that means we either call too many or we really don't care. It is probably the latter.

Junker Wed Mar 01, 2006 09:34am

I'm in the "remember the ones I didn't call" camp. I think I had only 1 at the varsity level and I really don't remember how many I called at the lower level. I do know I had my first ever ejection of a player (2 T's, the second was pulling his shirt out on the floor in obvious frustration, not a word from the coach or crowd, everyone knew he had it coming). I also know that there was 1 coach that got away from getting one in a game. I kicked myself for not getting him all the way home that night, then I put it behind me and moved on. I'm working a JH weekend tournament this weekend so I'm pretty sure I'll get a couple in then. Daddy coaches that don't understand the game get under my skin in a hurry.

lmeadski Wed Mar 01, 2006 09:36am

Quote:

Originally posted by tomegun
Quote:

Quote:

Who cares?

Tony, I'm with you on this one. I guess that means we either call too many or we really don't care. It is probably the latter.

I called 232 travels, 316 fouls, and no one cares.

Junker Wed Mar 01, 2006 09:42am

I called one more travel than I should have, in a college JV game. I totally booted it after talking about rules with some collegues.

jritchie Wed Mar 01, 2006 09:45am

I'm like most, probably wouldn't remember, or care to remember, but since i had so few they were easy to remember.

high school
1 player when he fouled out and didn't like it
1 coach, but all he said was "Don't ask any questions, just give me a T..." i kinda looked at him and he said really..trying to get his team fired up...well i guess it worked, they came back and won the game... :)

college
2 double t's for trash talking

6 total

JCrow Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:16am

This has been my worst year. I only Volunteer Ref in a Rec League. Been doing it for 13 years. This year after a blow-out in 5-6 Grade, I walk over to get some water while the Teams are in the handshake line. It was a pretty uneventful game. Other than the Winning Coach had tried to call a late TO when the Losing Team had the ball. I booted the call but when I saw which team had pocession.....I just did an IW and gave it back to them.

When I get back, the two Coaches are pushing & shoving. I grab the Winning Coach who is going crazy and bear-hug him. He's swinging his arms and dropping the F-Bomb in front of the kids and grannies?! I had the feeling the Losing Coach was just defending himself. He was no problem. I had to hold the Winning Caoch for a couple of minutes to calm him down. Kept telling him not to be a bad example for the kids.

The next week, the Losing Coach comes over an apologizes to me first thing. I say no problem. I Ref another game with the Winning Coach. He never apologized about the week before either before, during or after the game.

I'm kind of amazed the League Directors didn't boot him over the incident especially the language? In the old days of our League....the guy that ran it would have booted him instantly.

Anyway, after one substitution and before I administer the Throw-in....he's got 6 on the floor. This is 5-6 so I don't get too technical. I tell him,

"Coach, you have 6 out there. I don't want to call a T. Get one out."

The guy's wife handles the Subs for him. It's an Equal-Time League and he Subs by a Matrix instead of 5 in and 5 out. (Funny, it seems his kid is always in?) He starts screaming and berating his poor wife on the bench in front of the kids.

So after the Game...I made a big decision...I hung up the whistle. When you do this as Volunteer you have to like the people in the League. I don't like this guy. I figure it's better to quit than to get into a horror-show with him in the Play-offs.

So....I have one old collared shirt and one collarless shirt For Sale....XXL....make me an offer for one. (My wife wants to save the other for my wake.)

VaLadyRef Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:25am

1 - book
2 - Coaches (V), after being warned to stop complaining about every call/no call. One of those actually thought that because it was halftime, he could read me the riot act and not get a T. He knows different now.
3 - Player, one for slapping backboard hard and in disgust, the other two for profanity after fouls were called.
1 - Double Flagrant (chest bump followed by retaliatory shove)

That being said, I did have the opportunity to exercise some patience when it came to a player cursing under his breath and only I heard it. I was going to give the T, then decided it would be better if I just spoke to him and said that I didn't want to hear anything like that again. It was during the lining up for a free throw and I was administering, so I had the time to do that. No problem after that.

ChuckElias Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:29am

I remember 2.

One on a head coach. I remember only b/c it was the first game of the season.

One on a player for hanging on the rim after an alley-oop. He dunked, held on with one hand, turned around to point to the guard that threw the pass, then let go. Hard to T a guy for saying "thanks". . . nah, not really :D

Dibbs Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:21am

H.S only 45 games

0 Coaches
0 administrative
1 Player, slamming ball on the wall
this was a boring year

rockyroad Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:38am

I gotta agree with Tony...why are we counting these? Is it like a hunter coming out of the woods with the trophy buck tied to the hood of the pick-up? I certainly hope not...on the other hand, if I said I had zero T's so far this year with three or four games left to go, does that mean I'm not as "good" as someone who has 7 or 8??? Again, I hope not...I really don't get this thread - a T is just like any other call. Call it when you need to, don't when you don't need to...why the fascination with T's???

lmeadski Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:43am

Just having fun...

Quote:

Originally posted by rockyroad
I gotta agree with Tony...why are we counting these? Is it like a hunter coming out of the woods with the trophy buck tied to the hood of the pick-up? I certainly hope not...on the other hand, if I said I had zero T's so far this year with three or four games left to go, does that mean I'm not as "good" as someone who has 7 or 8??? Again, I hope not...I really don't get this thread - a T is just like any other call. Call it when you need to, don't when you don't need to...why the fascination with T's???
Rocky, no fascination. Just sharing experiences. I don't think any of us judge each other by the number of Ts we dole out. But, there are usually some interesting stories and scenarios that accompany technicals.

rockyroad Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:07pm

Re: Just having fun...

Quote:

Rocky, no fascination. Just sharing experiences. I don't think any of us judge each other by the number of Ts we dole out. But, there are usually some interesting stories and scenarios that accompany technicals.

Ok, I can buy that...and I love a good "whack" story as much as the next ref, but then why wasn't the thread titled "Any Good T Stories" instead of "How many T's"???

Look, it really isn't a big deal to me...but we all know that there are officials who keep count and put notches on their gun handles (as someone else already put it)...just don't like that mentality.

Rich Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:08pm

Quote:

Too much Kool-Aid being passed around in this thread, IMO. T's are NOT, NOT, NOT like any other call, regardless of how many clinicians say so. Usually there's emotions running high on the coach's part and many times on the official's part (unless the official is a robot). How emotional is an out of bounds or traveling call?

I remember how many technicals I call, but usually forget by the next season. They are rare enough in my world that each one takes up a portion of my memory. I remember them not because I want to relive the glory of putting my hands together and awarding free throws, but because I want to remember how I handled situations.

2 Ts this season. One was a cumulative thing where the coach was talked to by all three of us during the first half. We talked about it at halftime and after the first foul in the second half, the coach called one of my partner's "ridiculous" while I was C in front of him. The other was a gesture made to my partner's back while I was coming up on the bench as the T tableside.

Remembering these doesn't mean I'm a gunslinger. It means I looked back to determine if the Ts were justified. They were. Both coaches, in retrospect, probably wanted one.

Dan_ref Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:38pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:

Too much Kool-Aid being passed around in this thread, IMO. T's are NOT, NOT, NOT like any other call, regardless of how many clinicians say so. Usually there's emotions running high on the coach's part and many times on the official's part (unless the official is a robot). How emotional is an out of bounds or traveling call?

I remember how many technicals I call, but usually forget by the next season. They are rare enough in my world that each one takes up a portion of my memory. I remember them not because I want to relive the glory of putting my hands together and awarding free throws, but because I want to remember how I handled situations.

2 Ts this season. One was a cumulative thing where the coach was talked to by all three of us during the first half. We talked about it at halftime and after the first foul in the second half, the coach called one of my partner's "ridiculous" while I was C in front of him. The other was a gesture made to my partner's back while I was coming up on the bench as the T tableside.

Remembering these doesn't mean I'm a gunslinger. It means I looked back to determine if the Ts were justified. They were. Both coaches, in retrospect, probably wanted one.

I agree. Even if a T is given in a cold manner (which is how I handle them) they are still unusual because there's a chance you'll be talking to your boss after the game about it, especially if you bang a coach. Or at least the R who'll want to know what happened for when he talks to the assignor. (This assumes your assignor actually gives a sh1t, some just don't.) Sometimes T's come in streaks, I know if I get a string of games where I'm T'ing people up I think about why and if I could have handled anything differently. In this respect T's are different from other calls as well, at least for me.

But on the other hand if you do give a T it should be considered as just another call, at least to the person getting it.

So I guess my point is I agree T's are a different type of call but they are not a big deal in the sense that once you find yourself at the point where it's gonna help the game you just take care of business.

If any of that makes sense...

[Edited by Dan_ref on Mar 1st, 2006 at 12:42 PM]

M&M Guy Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:56pm

Quote:

No.

(But I do agree with your ramblings.) ;)

Dan_ref Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:59pm

Quote:

Originally posted by M&M Guy
Quote:

No.

(But I do agree with your ramblings.) ;)

OK wiseguy.

No jello pudding for you!

http://www.comedyontap.com/features/...omas/point.gif

M&M Guy Wed Mar 01, 2006 01:09pm

Quote:

OK wiseguy.

No jello pudding for you!

http://www.comedyontap.com/features/...omas/point.gif

I'm gonna tell Bill Cosby on you!

ChuckElias Wed Mar 01, 2006 01:25pm

Quote:

Sometimes T's come in streaks, I know if I get a string of games where I'm T'ing people up I think about why and if I could have handled anything differently.
I know this feeling. http://www.officialforum.com/thread/3418

Dan_ref Wed Mar 01, 2006 01:30pm

Dec 2001?

Do you have a dedicated server with 100 GB hard drive to catalog all your forum posts?

Jurassic Referee Wed Mar 01, 2006 01:36pm

Quote:

Dec 2001?

Do you have a dedicated server with 100 GB hard drive to catalog all your forum posts?

As a matter of fact......

Chuck just started another sabbatical to work on his latest scholary tome <i>"My Greatest Posts"</i>. Edition 1, of course.

Dan_ref Wed Mar 01, 2006 01:41pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

Dec 2001?

Chuck just started another sabbatical to work on his latest scholary tome <i>"My Greatest Posts"</i>. Edition 1, of course.

Here are some of the better ones:

http://www.chrysaliswine.com/images/...er%20field.jpg

bdub712 Wed Mar 01, 2006 01:48pm

In 58 high school games this season...ZERO

25 JV games...
30 V games...
3 playoff games...

blindzebra Wed Mar 01, 2006 02:40pm

In order:

Player for clapping after an opposing player fouled out, my partner had the other team's coach earlier.

Player again for clapping in the face of the kid that had just fouled him.

Frosh coach AFTER THE GAME for an ejection, when he chased us off the floor.

Player for dropping an F-bomb about a call.

Player for dropping an F-bomb at an opposing player.

Coach for coming on the floor, screaming at my partner, 20 seconds after I'd given him the stop sign.

Player for throwing the ball into the chest of an opposing player, after a made FT and the shooting team had the ball OOB and the other team came to inbound it.

The last 4 came on consecutive nights with the last 3 happening in one game, a regional final.

7, which is high for me, I have been having around 1 or 2 a season for the past couple of years. I guess the law of averages caught up with me.

ChrisSportsFan Wed Mar 01, 2006 02:55pm

Quote:

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

Dec 2001?

Here are some of the better ones:

LOL. That's alot of posts to keep organized.

M&M Guy Wed Mar 01, 2006 03:01pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan

LOL. That's alot of posts to keep organized. [/B][/QUOTE]

Yea, but after a while don't they all start to look the same?...

ChuckElias Wed Mar 01, 2006 03:17pm

Quote:

Dec 2001?

LOL. No, just a hit on google. I remembered that I had used the phrase "T-magnet", but didn't realize it was '01 until I actually found the thread. I thought it was like last season. :)

And the picture of the posts is recycled too. So somebody should be busting on you for old pictures, instead of just on me.

[Edited by ChuckElias on Mar 1st, 2006 at 03:20 PM]

Dan_ref Wed Mar 01, 2006 03:54pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias

And the picture of the posts is recycled too. So somebody should be busting on you for old pictures, instead of just on me.

Who me???!! Recycle jokes???

:p

thereluctantref Wed Mar 01, 2006 05:23pm

I have a question...has anyone ever called a technical on a fan? I was coaching this year (5th and 6th grade boys basketball) and a fan/parent was arguing/"commenting" on every little call that went against his son's team. It was very distracting to our team and very nasty as far as sportsmanship goes. This went on the whole 2nd half practically. The referee finally went to the coach and warned him to control the fan or else he would give the team a technical. Could he have rightfully done this? Also, what is the point at where you draw the line for fans? How far can they be verbally abusive?
Thanks!

Jurassic Referee Wed Mar 01, 2006 05:48pm

Quote:

Originally posted by thereluctantref
The referee finally went to the coach and warned him to control the fan or else he would give the team a technical. Could he have rightfully done this? Also, what is the point at where you draw the line for fans? How far can they be verbally abusive?

The rules do allow you to give a technical to a fan if you are sure that you know what team he is a supporter of. However, it's not recommended at all and it's a last-resort tactic. The recommended procedure is to simply put the fan in the parking lot. The official doesn't do that himself either; he gets game management to do it. The official points the fan out and says "I want him/her outa here- NOW". The game is stopped untill the fan leaves. If there isn't a representative of game management in the gym, then the home coach gets the job.

As for how far the fans can go? Being verbal is OK. Being verbally <b>abusive</b> isn't, especially in 5th. and 6th. grade games.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Mar 1st, 2006 at 05:50 PM]

mj Wed Mar 01, 2006 08:20pm

Quote:

Quote:

I agree totally. I don't have any this year. Last year either for that matter. Looking back, I probably should have given on early in the year when I called a 10 second backcourt violation and the coach went off. After he vented though the game went along just fine.

I know I have a long leash but I prefer to treat a coach as an adult and at least have a short conversation with him after a call he doesn't like. I think it is much more effective than "whacking" and walking away.

BigJoe Thu Mar 02, 2006 01:55am

Had some very interesting T's this year. Here are the two that stand out:

J.V. game, player is told by partner to pull up his shorts so his underwear don't show. He pulls them up there, but has to be told again. At half, I tell the coach that this player won't be allowed to play unless his shorts are pulled up and his string is tightened. Sure enough, he is at the scorers table to check in, buzzer sounds for a substitution, I tell him to pull up his shorts. He gives me the "who do you think you are telling me what to do" look. I promptly tell the coach that we need a different sub. Kid sits on the end of the bench. I am C table side. I am in position and hear someone say "pussy". I wasn't sure who said it, but when he said "thats a bunch of $hit" I turn and whack him. Coach removes him from the gym.

Second interesting T was in a varsity game. Player A1 is run over by B1. I whistle B1 for a foul. A1 is on the floor and B1 offers his hand to help him up. A nice display of sportsmanship. A1 scoots back on his backside and stands up. I am standing right behind B1 as he says out loud "f'ing pussy". Now I had to agree with him, but I also had to whack him.....

Totals for the year 1 coach at least a dozen players.

SMEngmann Thu Mar 02, 2006 06:31am

In about 90 HS games this year (80-90% varsity):

1 HC (disparaging comment about partner)
3 players
2 administrative (one in a sectional playoff after the coach had initialed that everything was correct and then had to add a name at gametime)

lmeadski Thu Mar 02, 2006 08:19am

Boring year

1 - Administrative: wrong number on player entering game.

YYYAAWWWNNNNNN

Luv4Asian8 Thu Mar 02, 2006 06:48pm

Just a few Ts, but honestly don't remember.

But, I do remember

1 - Coach ejection (my first ejection, after earning his 2nd T, he slaps my hand away...WTF?!)

1 - Fan ejection (noted here on the boards earlier this season)

2 - CYO player ejections (same play, initial foul, followed by retaliation, followed by re-retaliation)

started three years ago, no ejections til this season with FOUR!!! :(

Stripes1950 Thu Mar 02, 2006 07:22pm

Well!

I don't remember calling a T this boys season. Have done about 40 games (HS JV & V). I did call one in girls season, about 30 games (HS JV & V). We still have girls in the fall here in Michigan. That one was for a taped over earring on a JV player. It was a month into the season and she said that no one had made her remove the tape or earring and she had it from the beginning of the season. That is the only one that I have called but I am sure that I have overlooked some situations that require the T. Just my 2 cents.

Texas Aggie Thu Mar 02, 2006 07:48pm

Coaches:
Head -- 1
Asst. (?? -- wasn't coaching, just yelling) -- 1
Near misses -- 3 or 4

Players:
4 or 5, most of the ball slamming down variety; one or two mouthing.

Administrative (book): a bunch. Like 5 or 6, more than in all my other years combined. What's going on here?

I honestly don't call a lot but I won't let the game get anything close to out of control. I'll start handing out Ts like raffle chances at the first little sign of control problems.

ChuckElias Fri Mar 03, 2006 07:40am

Re: Well!

Quote:

Originally posted by Stripes1950
I did call one in girls season, about 30 games (HS JV & V). We still have girls in the fall here in Michigan. That one was for a taped over earring on a JV player.
Stripes, I know it's water under the bridge at this point, but you can't give a T for the earring. You simply send the player out of the game, or not allow her entry into the game. There's no provision for a technical foul for this equipment violation.

WhistlesAndStripes Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:41pm

Quote:

Originally posted by jritchie
1 coach, but all he said was "Don't ask any questions, just give me a T..."
What the hell is this, Hoosiers?

If a coach told me to T him, I'd probably have half a mind to tell him to F-Off.

WhistlesAndStripes Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:45pm

Quote:

Originally posted by JCrow
So after the Game...I made a big decision...I hung up the whistle. When you do this as Volunteer you have to like the people in the League. I don't like this guy. I figure it's better to quit than to get into a horror-show with him in the Play-offs.

So....I have one old collared shirt and one collarless shirt For Sale....XXL....make me an offer for one. (My wife wants to save the other for my wake.)

You hangin it up completely, or just on this league? Hopefully, even if you're done donning the strips, you'll continue to come here and entertain us with some of your fictional stuff. That's some good $h!t.

WhistlesAndStripes Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:54pm

Quote:

How emotional is an out of bounds or traveling call?

Funny you should ask this. I was C. Standing right in front of B's bench. Ball goes out of bounds between me and the endline as 2 players are going hard for it. I blow my whistle and as I turn to point hard to make sure and sell the call that we're going the other way, B's coach is a step or 2 out on the floor and I poke him right in the cheek. I didn't realize it at the time, but he came out after halftime and showed us the wound where I had actually drawn blood. I simply said to him, "Coach, if you had been in your box..." :D We had a good laugh over it, but not as good a laugh as I had on Monday night at the dinner table. Said coach also happened to be my daughter's school teacher. At school the following Monday morning, one of the kids asked him how he had got cut on the cheek. He responded, "Julie's dad got mad at me in the game on Saturday and tried to beat me up."

mplagrow Fri Mar 03, 2006 09:42pm

Quote:

Originally posted by mj
Quote:

Quote:

I agree totally. I don't have any this year. Last year either for that matter. Looking back, I probably should have given on early in the year when I called a 10 second backcourt violation and the coach went off. After he vented though the game went along just fine.

I know I have a long leash but I prefer to treat a coach as an adult and at least have a short conversation with him after a call he doesn't like. I think it is much more effective than "whacking" and walking away.

Your implication is that calling a technical is not treating a coach like an adult. I disagree. The rules are there for a reason. You're treating him in the fashion the rules call for. Besides, he's obviously not ACTING like an adult.

Stripes1950 Wed Mar 08, 2006 04:45pm

Well!!

Re: Well!

quote:Originally posted by Stripes1950
I did call one in girls season, about 30 games (HS JV & V). We still have girls in the fall here in Michigan. That one was for a taped over earring on a JV player.

Stripes, I know it's water under the bridge at this point, but you can't give a T for the earring. You simply send the player out of the game, or not allow her entry into the game. There's no provision for a technical foul for this equipment violation.

I stand corrected. That will not be called by me again. Thanks.

icallfouls Thu Mar 09, 2006 06:34pm

I'm a little late to the discussion, but here it goes.

This year only 4, but last year I served up 13. Of those, only 2 were on coaches.

My favorite one was on a player. We had played nearly 7 minutes, crew called 1 foul, and my first call of the game is a blatant travel. Player turns to me and says "are you f***ing kidding me?" Not then, not now.

Oz Referee Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:01pm

I'm also a bit late to this thread......but....

I do a lot of adult's rec ball - 8 to 10 games a week. So I probably call more t's in a fortnight than most guys call in a year.

Had two last night, both on the same player. First one was for hanging on the net. Then about 2 minutes later called a pushing foul on him, and he spun round and yelled "what a f#$!ing joke". Two t's, so he got tossed. BTW his team ended up going down by 5 :)

mplagrow Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:10pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Oz Referee
I'm also a bit late to this thread......but....

I do a lot of adult's rec ball - 8 to 10 games a week.

There is help out there. You can beat your masochsim!