The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Does Anyone Do "Makeup Calls"? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/25201-does-anyone-do-makeup-calls.html)

IdahoRef Sat Feb 25, 2006 02:47pm

Do any of you do makeup calls when you have made a bad call? I'm curious what you guys do when you know that you missed or made a terrible call?

I'm in my first year officiating and if I'm in that scenario, I just keep calling them like I see them. I surely don't want to penalize someone unfairly for MY mistake.

How about you guys?

Adam Sat Feb 25, 2006 03:12pm

Never do a "make-up" call. And don't listen to the tv announcers when they say a given call was a "make-up" call for the last call the refs missed. 9 tims out of 10, that earlier call was right.

Bottom line, your missed calls will likely even out in the end, so don't go trying to make up for them.

Mark Padgett Sat Feb 25, 2006 03:50pm

Quote:

Originally posted by IdahoRef
I'm curious what you guys do when you know that you missed or made a terrible call?

If it ever happens, I'll let you know.

Adam Sat Feb 25, 2006 03:58pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:

I'm curious what you guys do when you know that you missed or made a terrible call?

Yeah, I've heard that Padgett has never missed a terrible call.

CaliOne Sat Feb 25, 2006 08:23pm

I worked with a partner who, after my T on team A, called a quick ticky tack foul on team B the very next possession. Im my mind, it seemed like he was giving a "make up call" for my T. That drives me NUTS!

Kostja Sat Feb 25, 2006 09:45pm

Don't let one mistake become two! No makeup calls!!!

JRutledge Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:29pm

In one word.

NO.

Peace

tjones1 Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:43pm

Most certainly not. If you kick one, you kick one. Learn from it and try not to do it again. But, in no way should you go to the other end a commit another mistake by looking for a needle in a hay stack.

Mark Padgett Sun Feb 26, 2006 03:18pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Snaqwells
Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:

Yeah, I've heard that Padgett has never missed a terrible call.

You're right. When watching your games, I haven't missed a single one.

Jay R Sun Feb 26, 2006 05:26pm

I do make-up calls. I was refereeing a game that was on our local cable channel last week. When I watched the tape,the announcer said one of my calls was a make up calls. He said it so it has to be true.

Jay

QuebecRef87 Sun Feb 26, 2006 05:57pm

Two wrongs don't make a right. Also, instead of having only one mad coach, you'll have both. Do the math.

canuckrefguy Sun Feb 26, 2006 06:17pm

Since no one else is going to open the can of worms....

....I'll do it.

I think we've all, at some point, leaned towards making a call for game management purposes, when we sense a whistle may calm things down, or divert negative energy for the time being. I'm not talking about making a call up, but maybe having a slightly quicker whistle on a 50/50 call, that type of thing.

It's like when the foul count is Team A = 7, Team B = 1. You're not going to start making up Team B fouls, but you're gonna make damn sure you don't MISS any Team B fouls, too.

Just my $0.02

JRutledge Sun Feb 26, 2006 06:27pm

Re: Since no one else is going to open the can of worms....

Quote:

Originally posted by canuckrefguy
....I'll do it.

I think we've all, at some point, leaned towards making a call for game management purposes, when we sense a whistle may calm things down, or divert negative energy for the time being. I'm not talking about making a call up, but maybe having a slightly quicker whistle on a 50/50 call, that type of thing.

It's like when the foul count is Team A = 7, Team B = 1. You're not going to start making up Team B fouls, but you're gonna make damn sure you don't MISS any Team B fouls, too.

Just my $0.02

I will say this to you. I am sure there are probably people that will do that. I know I will not. I know when the foul count is out of wack I will concentrate harder, but I am not going to just call something that is not there. We must understand that 7 to 1 foul count is usually not our fault. There is such a thing as one team playing better than the other team. We are only a small part of that. Also I do not care what coaches think. If one does not like me, I probably passed several schools to get to that school and in a couple of years that particular coach will not be there anymore in the first place. I do not spend my time worrying about negative energy. Negative energy is apart of the job. If you cannot deal with that aspect of this, you really need to get out. Just look at all the people that complain here and other places about officiating and they are totally clueless of what takes place in game.

Peace

canuckrefguy Sun Feb 26, 2006 06:32pm

I knew I could count on you, Rut :D

BktBallRef Sun Feb 26, 2006 07:13pm

Yeah, that's a really smart thing to do. Piss one coach off with a bad call. Now, go to the other end and piss the other coach off, too.