The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 16, 2006, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Question

When under the basket and there is alot of legal contact going on but there is no foul (eg. one put back try after another, and maybe add a lose ball or two - all in the paint); the crowd is beginning to roar because of no call, but I've got good position and I see no foul. Question: What signal/motion do you do (if any) to let the crowd know that you were on top of it and saw no foul? Thanks!
Old Thu Feb 16, 2006, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

You don't do anything.

The signal you can use is not holding your fist up in the air.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2006, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

The danger of using the "tip" signal is the same as the problem with the "blarge" You signal a tip...partner comes in with a foul call. Now everybody is upset.

Don't signal anything. It's better to let them think you're blind, than to get into that kind of problem.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2006, 09:10pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Talking

Blow your whistle to stop play. Walk over to the table and use the microphone to explain the play to the crowd. Use this opportunity to explain why you did or did not call the back court violation they were screaming about two possessions earlier.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2006, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

There's a signal for this. Cock both of your arms behind your head, then throw both of them forward over your head with the middle finger extended on each hand.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2006, 11:42pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by TriggerMN
There's a signal for this. Cock both of your arms behind your head, then throw both of them forward over your head with the middle finger extended on each hand.
Either that or use this opportunity to shove both hands down inside your Sansabelt pants and undergarments and adjust the boys.
Old Fri Feb 17, 2006, 12:14am
We don't rent pigs

Shrug your shoulders and keep cocking your head at different angles, all the while sporting the most bewildered expression you can muster. That usually calms 'em right down.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Feb 17, 2006, 02:05am
Official Forum Member

Cool

Look up in the crowd and give them your best impression of the Bobby Knight "game face".
Old Fri Feb 17, 2006, 03:35am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Who gives a d@mn about what the crowd thinks?

Do you take a public opinion poll before each of your calls?
Old Fri Feb 17, 2006, 06:52am
Official Forum Member

Smile

Nope, no opinion polls are necessary. It was a joke. I'm sure if you look around Nevada long enough, you'll find someone who has a sense of humor.
Old Fri Feb 17, 2006, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
Blow your whistle to stop play. Walk over to the table and use the microphone to explain the play to the crowd. Use this opportunity to explain why you did or did not call the back court violation they were screaming about two possessions earlier.
Exactly what is wrong with most officials...at least JOG over to the table instead of walking. My gosh, hustle!!

How many times have you wished you could do just that...use the microphone and let the crowd know!! PRICELESS.
Old Fri Feb 17, 2006, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to SeanFitzRef
Blow your whistle to stop game. Proceed to laundry basket sitting in corner with striped shirts. Offer them to any and all that feel they can do a better job, or even have the guts to try. After receiving no takers, return to game and continue in silence and peace.

Old Fri Feb 17, 2006, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Well, I did laugh out loud with the microphone take! BUT thanks for the advice. I so often see guys make the tip signal but you guys helped solidify that the "tip" call could get you into real trouble when my partner calls the foul. Thanks guys/gals!
Old Fri Feb 17, 2006, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to kiwiref Send a message via Yahoo to kiwiref
Australians handle these ones well...

You see, it's all about respect. You can get that respect by doing something that would impress the crowd. Showing them fingers, will get you there eventualy, but an even faster way would be to:
1) Stand up straight. Reach into your back pocket.
2) Produce a flask.
3) Take a decent gulp of that bourbon, followed by a massive burp, and a loud "That's some good old ****" comment.
4) Now turn around and offer the flask to the spectator closest to you. Observe the utter silence as you do that.
5) Shrug your shoulders as he/she refuses, pack in the flask, and run up the court, as the game has surely moved on.
6) Make sure you say "Enjoy the rest of the game" to the crowd before you start running.
Old Sat Feb 18, 2006, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Holy Sh$t! I just spit coffee on my computer screen! That was the funniest thing I've read on this forum. Get the microphone! WOW that was funny. LOL