The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 19, 2001, 02:29am
Official Forum Member

Talking

There have been many discussions in the last few weeks about technical fouls, and how far a coach has to go before getting one (or getting tossed).

This is a topic that I feel can be discussed with benefit to all officials (and coaches & players) as most referees have differing opinions on the matter.

Personally, I am a big beliver that how something is said is more important than what is said (in most cases).

For instance, a player can say f@#k loud enough for the other players to hear when they make a meal of an open lay-up and I will warn them or give them a signal. However, a player can use the same word under their breath, but direct it at me, and they'll cop a "T".

A similar example is discrimitory comments. I wear glasses, and this adds ammunition to coaches on a regular basis ("time for a new pescription hey ref?", "you should clean them sometime", etc). Again I believe that these comments can be responded to in other ways than "T's". A favourite of mine is in response to the classic "four eyes" comments.
But coach, with four eyes I can see twice as much

Fianlly, I feel that the differences between what referees call can be a big issue. I have a fairly thick skin and can take a lot of chriping before I throw a tech, but this doesn't suit everybody. I had a partner a couple of games ago that t'd a coach for the comment "C'mon ref, both ends" after a 3 second call, because it implied that he was biased!

To me, that is over the top, but I would like to hear others opinions on this. (And sorry that this post is so long).

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee
Old Tue Jun 19, 2001, 07:48am
Official Forum Member

T'a are called for 2 reasons:

(1) to make a bad situation better
(2) an attack against your character

Be consistent and follow these guidelines and you'll gain respect as an official as time passes. Coaches and players will become familiar with your level of tolerance.

A good tip to help become consistent is to keep a diary of T's. What prompted you to call it? Could it have been avoided? Did it correct the problem and make it better? Keeping and reviewing this information periodically will help with consistency.
Old Tue Jun 19, 2001, 10:05am
Esteemed Participant

Any time there is a problem with a coach, there are three ways to handle it: 1)ignore the coach; 2)talk with the coach; 3)T the coach...in all three instances, the question I need to ask myself is "Will this make the situation better?" If I don't think a T will make it any better, then I won't call it...so much of it is a personal thing - what can I take? The things which will get a coach T'd by me quickly are: 1)profanity directed at me or my crew and 2) comments about my partners...most other things I will try to talk with or respond to a coach...I had a coach one time tell me "Geez, stripes, you're their third leading scorer tonight!" My response was "I'm about to become number two coach" and he laughed...about 3 minutes later, he told meMan, your partner sucks" and I T'd him instantly - he looked at me funny, and then said, "Sorry, that was going too far - I deserved that"...
Old Tue Jun 19, 2001, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Oz Referee
Fianlly, I feel that the differences between what referees call can be a big issue. I have a fairly thick skin and can take a lot of chriping before I throw a tech, but this doesn't suit everybody. I had a partner a couple of games ago that t'd a coach for the comment "C'mon ref, both ends" after a 3 second call, because it implied that he was biased!

To me, that is over the top, but I would like to hear others opinions on this. (And sorry that this post is so long).
Not to me. It doesn't imply anything. A coach who yells at you to "Call it the same at both ends!" is calling you a cheat. He probably won't get a T from me if that's the first thing he's said, but he'll get a warning or a stop sign. Comments like that question your integrity, whether the coach understands it that way or not.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Jun 19, 2001, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by Oz Referee

Not to me. It doesn't imply anything. A coach who yells at you to "Call it the same at both ends!" is calling you a cheat. He probably won't get a T from me if that's the first thing he's said, but he'll get a warning or a stop sign. Comments like that question your integrity, whether the coach understands it that way or not.
Here's what I believe to be a "Davism" (I'm relatively new to the board)...

Coach (out loud): "Look at the scoreclock, the fouls are 8 to 2."

R1: "You just made it 9-2" (as he T's the coach).

IMO, this is completely acceptable. Coaches get the picture very quickly and learn comments suggesting bias are unacceptable.
Old Tue Jun 19, 2001, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

IMHO

In most cases I will reply to any "both ends" complaints by pointing out that if both teams were fouling (or violating or whatever) then of course I will blow it at both ends.

This is the same way I respond to complaints about the difference between the number of fouls that have been called on each team. As a coach I know that this is frustrating, and shows most coaches what they perceive to be a clear disparity in the refereeing. Personally, I believe most "both ends" comments are borne out of frustration rather than attempting to say that the refs are cheating, to me they are on a par with everyone's favourite "1.2.3, c'mon Three seconds, how long..."

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee
Old Tue Jun 19, 2001, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

I guess we disagree. Counting three seconds is one thing but a coach who yells to call it at both ends or points out a difference in fouls on those damn scoreboard, has called you a cheat. As I said earlier, this won't necessarily get him a T the first time, but I love to ask, "Coach, are you accusing me of cheating?" That will usually shut them up.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Jun 20, 2001, 01:43am
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking here's some authentic Davisms

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffRef

Here's what I believe to be a "Davism" (I'm relatively new to the board)...
Coach (out loud): "Look at the scoreclock, the fouls are 8 to 2."

R1: "You just made it 9-2" (as he T's the coach).

Actually, the real Davisms in this case were:

Coach: "We have 9 fouls and they have only 1"

Davism #1: "I'll make a deal with you coach. Have your team stop committing the fouls and I'll stop calling the fouls."

Davism #2: "Yeah coach, but your team has 40 points and they only have 27. So I guess we'll give them 8 more fouls and 13 points then everything will be even. OK?"

Davism #3: "Coach, I have a rulebook with me. Let's make a bet. If you can find the rule that says each team must have an equal number of fouls, I'll even them up. But if you can't, you have to tape your big, fat mouth shut for the rest of the game. Deal?"

All kidding aside, try to remember the wisdom of long-time ref Ed Hightower, who said the purpose of a technical foul is to stop bad behavior - if you can stop the bad behavior without issuing the technical, you're just that much ahead.

Wise words to live by. Personally, I don't live by them, but they're wise words nonetheless.
Old Wed Jun 20, 2001, 07:13am
Official Forum Member

Re: IMHO

to me they are on a par with everyone's favourite "1.2.3, c'mon Three seconds, how long..."

[/B][/QUOTE]

Here is the best response to quiet a "counting" coach:

"Coach, I was at three and about to blow my whistle until you spoke up. Had I blown my whistle, it gives everybody the impression you are calling the game. We are working hard and you need to respect that. Let us do our job and maybe you'll get the next one". (then hustle back to your spot and get the game going right away).

Works like a charm...as long as you are working hard and can call a good game.
Old Wed Jun 20, 2001, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: Re: IMHO

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffRef
to me they are on a par with everyone's favourite "1.2.3, c'mon Three seconds, how long..."

Here is the best response to quiet a "counting" coach:

"Coach, I was at three and about to blow my whistle until you spoke up. Had I blown my whistle, it gives everybody the impression you are calling the game. We are working hard and you need to respect that. Let us do our job and maybe you'll get the next one". (then hustle back to your spot and get the game going right away).

Works like a charm...as long as you are working hard and can call a good game. [/B][/QUOTE]

My favorite:

"Coach, when you count out loud I lose my place & have to
start over again."