The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 20, 2006, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

I saw the other post about the wonderful last game of the season. I had its evil twin.

:38 seconds left in a close game, 8th grade girls, there's a tie-up in the backcourt on a press. Two girls fight for the ball, the one on team B much larger, and the girl from team A goes down hard. Her head bounces about a foot off the floor. She's conscious and not bleeding, so my partner holds his whistle. I'm following the drive to the basket.

Coach A and his assistant both come out on the floor and start yelling at my partner to blow his whistle. My partner does, stopping B's drive. Turns out she has a concussion and half an hour later, goes out on a stretcher to the hospital. A's coaches are cranky that no foul was called. B's coach was not all too happy about the play stoppage, but he understood (although it was wrong). All the girls on team A are emotional and decide it's time to 'get back' at them. The girl on team B who was involved in the tie-up is a wreck because she felt guilty about the injury.

We're already a half-hour behind, and a girl from team A ties up the game with a baseline jumper as time expires. OT!

In overtime, B was down by 2 as time was running out. She gets fouled and will shoot bonus. I look up and the clock says 0:00, but there was no horn. Since there wer no tenths on the board, we didn't know if it was 0.1 or 0.9 left. Fortunately, she missed the first shot, A rebounded to end the game.

Oh yeah, and these teams will be the 4 vs. 5 seed in the tournament next Saturday. Guess who's scheduled to ref it?