The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   3-person switching on fouls in the frontcourt (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/25086-3-person-switching-fouls-frontcourt.html)

assignmentmaker Mon Feb 20, 2006 01:03am

Has anyone got a minimum set of rules that will produce the 18 possible combinations for 3-person switching on fouls in the frontcourt? TIA.

canuckrefguy Mon Feb 20, 2006 01:09am

Huh?

Snake~eyes Mon Feb 20, 2006 01:18am

Quote:

Originally posted by assignmentmaker
Has anyone got a minimum set of rules that will produce the 18 possible combinations for 3-person switching on fouls in the frontcourt? TIA.
Uhhh... sure.

Calling official goes table side, tableside official takes calling officials spot. L rotates to side where ball will be inbounded. I don't think its anymore difficult that that.

assignmentmaker Mon Feb 20, 2006 01:42am

Quote:

Originally posted by Snake~eyes
Quote:

Uhhh... sure.

Calling official goes table side, tableside official takes calling officials spot. L rotates to side where ball will be inbounded. I don't think its anymore difficult that that.

I'm looking to address not only the situations where the ball will remain in the frontcourt after the foul, but also when it will be put in play in the opposite direction by an inbounds pass or when foul shots at the other end are called for.

I think your rule is right for when the foul is in the frontcourt and the ball will remain in the frontcourt.

But what about when the foul is in the frontcourt and the ball will either be going opposite and going to the other end for foul shot(s)?

Here is an example rule set I think covers all the possibilities. Maybe not!

<i>On all fouls in the frontcourt:

1) When the ball will remain in the frontcourt, the Lead, Center, and Trail report and remain tableside, the tableside official replaces the reporting official, and the Lead doubles the side where the ball will be inbounded.

2) When the ball will be going the opposite way, Center and Trail always push up, making a detour to the reporting area if necessary.

3) When the ball will be going the opposite way for foul shot(s), the reporting offcial becomes the new Trail and the non-reporting official who is further down the floor than the other becomes the new Lead, the other the new Center.</i>

Jurassic Referee Mon Feb 20, 2006 06:58am

Huh?

JugglingReferee Mon Feb 20, 2006 07:05am

Huh?

chrs_schuster Mon Feb 20, 2006 09:43am

I think assignmentmaker has too much time on his/her hands!

Dan_ref Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:34am

Quote:

Originally posted by chrs_schuster
I think assignmentmaker has too much time on his/her hands!
Why do you assume assignmentmaker must be either a he or a she?

I'm sure there are at least 18 possible combinations, maybe someone will list them.

Snake~eyes Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:22pm

Okay here goes mya ttempt at 18.
LTC call a foul in the front court and go table side = 3
LTC call a foul in the front court, go table side and crew must rotate to have L/T on same side = 3
LTC call a foul in the new backcourt and just slide = 3
LTC call a foul in the new backcourt and must bump and run = 3
LTC call a foul in the new backcourt that puts team in the bonus, calling official goes table side = 3

Total = 15

I'm out of ideas, unless you include not going table side on a T then that's another 3 and that would be 18.

JugglingReferee Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:34pm

Quote:

Okay here goes my attempt at 18.
Sure... someone just had to try to find the alledged 18 ways.

ChuckElias Mon Feb 20, 2006 02:11pm

Quote:

1) When the ball will remain in the frontcourt, the Lead, Center, and Trail report and remain tableside, the tableside official replaces the reporting official, and the Lead doubles the side where the ball will be inbounded.

2) When the ball will be going the opposite way, Center and Trail always push up, making a detour to the reporting area if necessary.

3) When the ball will be going the opposite way for foul shot(s), the reporting offcial becomes the new Trail and the non-reporting official who is further down the floor than the other becomes the new Lead, the other the new Center.</i>

I think that's just about right. Although for #2, you fail to mention that "the Lead doubles the side where the ball will be inbounded".

Snake~eyes Mon Feb 20, 2006 05:06pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:

I think that's just about right. Although for #2, you fail to mention that "the Lead doubles the side where the ball will be inbounded".

I don't like the way 2 is written, it is not clear. The best way is Trail stays trail and always administers throw-in in the backcourt. May need to 'bump and run' the C to L and old L becomes new C. Something liek that.

JRutledge Mon Feb 20, 2006 05:14pm

K.I.S.S!!!!!

You go table side on all fouls in the FC. It is that simple.

The only time you will not switch with anyone if you are the Trail table side when you made a call and you will then stay Trail in that situation.

If you are told not to long switch like in my state, then you do not have to worry about going table side in the BC.

Why is this so difficult to understand?

Peace

Bart Tyson Mon Feb 20, 2006 05:14pm

Quote:

Okay here goes mya ttempt at 18.
LTC call a foul in the front court and go table side = 3
LTC call a foul in the front court, go table side and crew must rotate to have L/T on same side = 3
LTC call a foul in the new backcourt and just slide = 3
LTC call a foul in the new backcourt and must bump and run = 3
LTC call a foul in the new backcourt that puts team in the bonus, calling official goes table side = 3

Total = 15

I'm out of ideas, unless you include not going table side on a T then that's another 3 and that would be 18.

You might be able to get to 18 if you add T-fouls and you want to stay away from the table side.

assignmentmaker Mon Feb 20, 2006 06:19pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:

Thanks. I have modified #2 - hopefully it covers that omission:

On all fouls in the frontcourt:

2) When the ball will be going the opposite way, the Lead handles the throw-in, and Center and Trail push up to a position dictated by the impending throw-in spot, after, if necessary, detouring to the reporting area.

3) When the ball will be going the opposite way for foul shot(s), the reporting official becomes the new Trail and the non-reporting official who is further down the floor than the other becomes the new Lead, the other the new Center.