The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Oh well.. (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/2491-oh-well.html)

Dan_ref Wed Jun 13, 2001 10:58pm

It looks like the little guy & the rest of the Sixers aren't
enough for Shaq & the Lakers. I still say the '01 Lakers
ain't nothin' like the '87 Lakers but they are good.

BTW, Mukumbo took another elbow early in the game as Shaq
made his pivot to the basket in the low post. Good
no call. What do you think?

Danvrapp Thu Jun 14, 2001 08:20am

I think it's a shame that Shaq will be remembered as being one of the greatest centers to ever play the game, and all the guy can do is dunk and bull people over. Not to take away from the man what he <b>can</b> do, but I don't think he's a dominant player in the same way that say an MJ or a Dr. J were.<br><br>As for the no call on the elbow, I agree; it wasn't really an elbow per se, just an entire body pivoting and his elbow happened to catch some chops.

stripes Thu Jun 14, 2001 09:48am

Why does Shaq need another move? The guy is a genetic freak. We have never seen a man as tall and big as he is who can move like he does. Most guys his size move more like Mutombo. Why should Shaq learn another move--no one can stop the moves he has? Why do we hold Shaq down (in terms of his dominance) because he is bigger and stronger than the other guys on the court? I thought that physical dominance was part of greatness. Michael Jordan also had physcial domninace--he had more ability than everyone else--but no one knocked him for it.

BTW--I am not a Laker fan, I am not even an NBA fan. I didn't watch the game last night.

CoachB Thu Jun 14, 2001 10:07am

Quote:

Originally posted by stripes
Why does Shaq need another move?

(EDITED)

Why should Shaq learn another move--no one can stop the moves he has?

Shaq has some awesome moves for a big guy.

1. Power move, going left or right(the one Mutombo hates)

2. Short bank shot

3. 6 to 8 foot fall away jumper

If he learns another move they will have to change the NBA rules to allow 6 players to play the Lakers(2 guys full time on Shaq)

rainmaker Fri Jun 15, 2001 12:19am

I don't have a problem admiring Shaq as long as he keeps it legal. The part that bugs me is when he uses his strength and size to gain an illegal advantage. I understand that NBA is dfferent from other basketball, and the refs are good at calling it the way they are supposed to, but I can't stand to watch it, it gives me a stomach ache.

JeffRef Fri Jun 15, 2001 06:17am

Quote:

Originally posted by Danvrapp
I think it's a shame that Shaq will be remembered as being one of the greatest centers to ever play the game, and all the guy can do is dunk and bull people over. Not to take away from the man what he <b>can</b> do, but I don't think he's a dominant player in the same way that say an MJ or a Dr. J were.<br><br>As for the no call on the elbow, I agree; it wasn't really an elbow per se, just an entire body pivoting and his elbow happened to catch some chops.
30.5 pts/gm
15.6 rebs/gm
.555 shooting %age
3.3 assists/gm
2.2 blocks/gm

These are Shaq's playoff numbers...he's doing more than dunking and bulling people over! I still agree with your displeasure of Shaq being remembered as one of the best centers but for a different reason...

He's an idiot!

Danvrapp Fri Jun 15, 2001 08:18am

Quote:

Originally posted by JeffRef
He's an idiot!
Aren't they all? :D

rockyroad Fri Jun 15, 2001 11:15am

Not all of them are idiots...why just look at Rasheed Wallace - he...well, he...ok - he's an idiot, too...but how about Chris Webber - he's a fine example of - well, ok, another idiot...I'm gonna keep thinking here...anybody else want to help?

Brian Watson Fri Jun 15, 2001 11:18am

Idiots... They might not be able to sign their checks, but boy I would sure like to get them for just playing a game.

And after reading that SI article about football players, you have to question their sanity.