The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 08, 2001, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think I could do it. Well, perhaps but it would take some getting used to. All three officials in Game 2 of the NBA Finals, Steve Javie, Bernie Fryar, and Ronnie Nunn use a whistle without a lanyard. I can't imagine how many times I would let it drop and then have to pick it up from the floor.

Until tonight, I wondered how they were able to use Precision Time without the lanyard. Normally, the "mic" attaches to the lanyard. But then I noticed what appeared to be 2 "mics" one attached to each side of their collar.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone who reads the board has tried life without a lanyard and if so, what's it like?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Jun 09, 2001, 12:23am
certified Hot Mom tester

I've worked for many years with a guy who does not use a lanyard. His name is Henry. He does a great job. I thought a person would have to tuck it in their waistband when it's not in your mouth to make signals (like most NBA refs do), but he doesn't. He just holds it in one hand.

Also, to my knowledge, he has never had it blow out of his mouth onto the floor when blowing it.

To this day, I really don't know how he can do this without "blowing it" - pun intended.
Old Sat Jun 09, 2001, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

I tried going without a lanyard once. It takes a little getting used to, but I only dropped the whistle three times I think.

One of the most senior girls' varsity officials in my area doesn't use a lanyard and has no problem. He just holds the whistle in his hand or keeps it in his mouth.
Old Sun Jun 10, 2001, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
I tried it once during a rec game a while ago, and just as
you say every time I would let go of the whistle it just
went straight to the floor. I just couldn't get the hang
of putting my hand to my mouth before dropping the whistle,
although towards the end of the game I did get quite
good at catching it before it hit the ground, about waist
level. Anyway, here in NY state we are required to use a
lanyard or smitty for safety reasons. I think some kid
slipped on a whistle a couple of years ago & the rest is history.
Old Sun Jun 10, 2001, 06:25pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

I've done this in a few summer leagues - just to try it out because several of the NBA officials do it.

The first time I tried it I dropped the whistle twice - but I learned quickly not to! It's not that hard and it does help you slow down to a certain extent.

However, I wouldn't do this in any of my "real" games right now as for high school we are told to use a lanyard and our college supervisor doesn't allow going sans-lanyard either.

One final note - the two microphones are for two different things: One for the Precision Timing System and one for regular audio (that's how they can show the conversations between the officials on replay).

The microphone for the PTS will easily pick up the whistle and listens for 3 distinct tones of the Fox40, so it's really not an issue of whether it is attached to the collar or to the lanyard.

- Brad
Old Mon Jun 11, 2001, 07:32am
Official Forum Member

You could always try to use the fringergrip fox 40's.

Mine took a bit to get used to, but it works fine now.
Old Mon Jun 11, 2001, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

In my association, we are required to use a lanyard. I have worked rec games with officials that did not use one, but I don't think I could. However, when I officiated soccer (22 years), I did like the finger mounted whistle. You never had to remember to not "spit it out".
Old Tue Jun 12, 2001, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

OK, just for kicks I tried this one last night in a 5th grade boys game. Well, let's just say I don't think I'm quite cut for NBA action yet. Probably at least a half-dozen drops, and a few more fumbles on top of that. I'm so used to just blowing the darn thing and then dropping it that I found it a hard habit to break. Kudos to those of you who have used this tactic successfully!
Old Tue Jun 12, 2001, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Try this one for fun (remember your first priority is the game and this should only be attempted if you are comfortable): Bet your game fee (or smaller amount for risk averse referees) with your partner(s). Each ref agrees to go "sans lanyard" and whoever drops last or not at all wins the pot.