The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 08, 2006, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

For those of you that have used the PTS, did you like it? Did you have any problems with it?
Old Wed Feb 08, 2006, 12:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

Not even most conferences

Quote:
Originally posted by ace
I've heard the opposite. The NCAA Is looking to use it in the tourny. The only reason it wasn't used past the individual confrence finals last season was because not all sites had a PTS system. But I think every major DI confrence is pretty much using it these days.

That would be incorrect. The Big Ten does not use it. It is not used in many other conferences at least not on a consistent basis. It is also not used in any of the mid-western conferences that you might not consider "major" as well.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 08, 2006, 12:56pm
Esteemed Participant

There were several NBA/WNBA officials and an evaluator at a camp I attended...they talked about the PTS system, and were even laughing about the fact that the NBA tracks which one of the officials gets the clock started correctly the most often. I was never sure if they were just joking around about that or not...can the PTS track that kind of thing?
Old Wed Feb 08, 2006, 01:37pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by tmp44
For those of you that have used the PTS, did you like it? Did you have any problems with it?
I like the system but it takes some adjustment. The main problem is that you do not have a set mechanic for its use. So when you use it you do not know exactly what to do and there is some confusion (at least there was in my mind) about who does what. Other than that I liked the system and wish I could use it more often.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 08, 2006, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
There were several NBA/WNBA officials and an evaluator at a camp I attended...they talked about the PTS system, and were even laughing about the fact that the NBA tracks which one of the officials gets the clock started correctly the most often. I was never sure if they were just joking around about that or not...can the PTS track that kind of thing?
Good question. I have conflicting, and potentially apocryphal data on that.

One ref in our area owns a PTS system and takes it to games with him. If both coaches agree, he uses it. I had a good look at it once and didn't notice any means for tracking or recording anything.

On the other hand, I've been told (heresay, for what it's worth) that the MWC went to PTS so that they would have record of which official's whistle stopped the clock.

Perhaps there are different PTS systems, ranging from basic to more sophisticated?

Perhaps the NBA tracking who pressed the button and who didn't. But if they're joking about who pressed it closest to the ball being touched, how could you track that? You'd have to correlate PTS "logs" with game film or something like that. Sounds far-fetched to me.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2006, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

Actually, when we've discussed these on the board before some people mentioned that the NBA uses a very expensive ($18K sticks in my mind) that could tell which official started the clock along with a lot of other stuff (signal strength, battery level for the belt packs etc.) At least this is what I remember. I could be wrong so don't treat it as fact!
Old Thu Feb 09, 2006, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
How does he adapt it to different clock manufacturers etc?
Old Thu Feb 09, 2006, 06:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle

One ref in our area owns a PTS system and takes it to games with him. If both coaches agree, he uses it.
Is this for NFHS games? If so, he shouldn't be doing this, even with the coaches' agreement, unless the STATE ASSOCIATION has approved its use.

Old Thu Feb 09, 2006, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

pricing isnt bad.

PTS 400 - $2,845.00 is 4 belt packs. 5 is a little more. Doesnt listthe price for 3 belt packs but I imagine it's less than 4. 90 dollars for a case, 75 for set up to a clock and shipping.

the software the NBA uses is i'm sure customized and plugs into the back of the unit.

From the price/product sheet I have:
RECEIVER BASE STATION - Designed to interface only with the belt packs coded to the particular school/arena. Base Station unit is equipped with start & stop buttons and (5) five Low-Battery Led indicator Lights.

TRANSMITTER BELT PACKS - worn by the on-court officials that allows them to start and stop the game clock. PTS Series 400 and 500 allow you to have additional belt packs as a back up in case there is a malfunction.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2006, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ace
pricing isnt bad.

PTS 400 - $2,845.00 is 4 belt packs. 5 is a little more. Doesnt listthe price for 3 belt packs but I imagine it's less than 4. 90 dollars for a case, 75 for set up to a clock and shipping.

the software the NBA uses is i'm sure customized and plugs into the back of the unit.

From the price/product sheet I have:
RECEIVER BASE STATION - Designed to interface only with the belt packs coded to the particular school/arena. Base Station unit is equipped with start & stop buttons and (5) five Low-Battery Led indicator Lights.

TRANSMITTER BELT PACKS - worn by the on-court officials that allows them to start and stop the game clock. PTS Series 400 and 500 allow you to have additional belt packs as a back up in case there is a malfunction.
ACE,

Why in the hell are you pricing these out. Are you practicing your PTS mechanics for your driveway basketball game??? J/K

Also, you probably could never use the PTS since you are so BIG TIME and don't use a lanyard! PTS requires the use of a lanyard, btw!!!!

Sorry ACE couldn't resist. Well, no Im not but it looks good if I say it...
Old Thu Feb 09, 2006, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry, haven't checked this thread since posting earlier.

Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Many college conferences have sopped using the device. It's not used in the NCAA tournament.
Did you mean stopped? If so, do you know why?
I'm with Snake, Tony if you could, please fill us in on why they aren't using it anymore. Thanks.
It hasn't previously been used in the NCAA tourney because not all sites have it and they were unwilling to buy it. There are quite a few conferences and schools that don't use it. Watch different conferences and you'll see that some use it and some don't.

Quote:
Originally posted by tmp44
Usually, it works as designed. The school I'll work at tomorrow night has it but the last time I was there, one pack didn't work. Most schools buy a 4th pack as a backup. The biggest issue is the batteries. They have to be repalced after two games and PTS wants you to by them from them. Schools complain they are too expensive.

This year, we've had one school add it, one school send it back, and one school stop using it because they could get it to work with the new timing console they had purchased.

Overall, I enjoy using it. I just wish everyone had it, so that you wouldn't have to adjust your mechanics on a night to night basis.

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
The system the NBA using is much more complex and expensive than the version that colleges and high schools buy. But yes, the NBA system records when the whistle was blown, by which official, and also who restarts the clock.

And yes, it will work with whistles besides the Fox. Many people think it responds to that particular tone of whistle but it doesn't. For example, prior to the game, you blow lightly into the mic to make sure the clock will stop. But the whistle must be one that the mic picks up the sound of "air." I have had the mic slide down my lanyard and it wouldn't stop the clock.

[Edited by BktBallRef on Feb 9th, 2006 at 03:02 PM]

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Feb 09, 2006, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Junkie,
everyone's always sitting here speculating on the cost, etc. so I sent an inquiry off of mere curiosity. My PTS mechanics? Atleast I don't actually use them during the game like some official we know. :COUGH:

I've actually revereted back to the lanyard. Especially in last weeks games. I typically use one. Some games I do, some games I don't. The last time I went no lanyard was in a girls game before I picked up those boys game in addition to my contract. And correction, they do make a specail mic package for officials who choose to go no lanyard. According to the pricing sheet, its slightly more expensive, and it is up to the individual official to buy the no lanyard mic system, and not the leauge, arena. Clips on the sides of the v-kneck. One mic on each side, about 1 inch or 1 1/2 inches up from the V.

Old Thu Feb 09, 2006, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ace
And correction, they do make a specail mic package for officials who choose to go no lanyard. According to the pricing sheet, its slightly more expensive, and it is up to the individual official to buy the no lanyard mic system, and not the leauge, arena. Clips on the sides of the v-kneck. One mic on each side, about 1 inch or 1 1/2 inches up from the V.
That's correct. You'll see the NBA officials who don't use a lanyard using this sytem. The two mics are visible on the collar.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Feb 09, 2006, 10:37pm
M.A.S.H.

Just got back from an OVC match-up. The officials working this game were using the system.
Old Fri Feb 10, 2006, 02:30am
Official Forum Member

Okay, did anyone else originally see this thread and think it was about someone seeing a game where Tim Higgins was wearing pants - with a belt?