The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 05, 2006, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to BOBBYMO Send a message via Yahoo to BOBBYMO
Yesterday in a (NCAAW)D-1 game there was a out of bounds play on the baseline. The O team ran a stack play and locked arms so that the D could not line up between them prior to the ball being thrown in.

Is this legal or does the D have the right to line up between them if they want to?

After a quick search in the rule book I could not see anything that said either way if the D had the right to line up to defend where ever they wanted.

This is a play that I have not ever seen or heard of.... Whats your opinion???

Legal or not???
Old Sun Feb 05, 2006, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

I forgot exactly what it was. I beilieve there is a play in the casebook. I think it says if the line-up starts within 5 feet of the baseline and one of the defenders wants between them, then you can allow them to get between. I am sure you will get the casebook play in a little while.
Old Sun Feb 05, 2006, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BOBBYMO
Yesterday in a (NCAAW)D-1 game there was a out of bounds play on the baseline. The O team ran a stack play and locked arms so that the D could not line up between them prior to the ball being thrown in.

Is this legal or does the D have the right to line up between them if they want to?

After a quick search in the rule book I could not see anything that said either way if the D had the right to line up to defend where ever they wanted.

Legal or not???
In FED rules, one reference is 7.6.4.. "Prior to a throw-in on the endline near A's basket, A1, A2, and A3 line up shoulder-to-shoulder parallel to the line and (a) within 3 feet of it, or (b) more than 3 feet from it. In both cases Team B requests space between the Team A players. RULING: In (a), the request is granted and a Team B player may position between each of the Team A players. In (b) the request is denied.

There is also language in the FED rules which enjoins players from linking arms, etc.. Perhaps someone can point to it . . .
Old Sun Feb 05, 2006, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks but I am looking for a NCAA inturp or opinion.
Old Sun Feb 05, 2006, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

4-24-9 and 10-1-11.

Linking arms is illegal and a T.
Old Sun Feb 05, 2006, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
I don't think FIBA covers this but my ruling would be blocking foul or indirect T (bench T)

The O can't prevent the Defence from getting there positions, so it would be a holding foul, but linking arms could also be considered unsporting that's why a T could be deemed, but like I said this isn't covered in the rules (yet anyway)
Old Sun Feb 05, 2006, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

Do any of you other college referee's have an opinion about this play?
Old Sun Feb 05, 2006, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

There is not an applicable rule in NCAA that I could find.
Old Mon Feb 06, 2006, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Legal or not???
NCAA 7-6-6b and 7-6-6c indicate the spaceing -- if it's parallel, the defense must be allowed between; if it's perpendicualr, the defense is not entitled to be between.

Old Tue Feb 07, 2006, 03:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

Legal or not???
NCAA 7-6-6b and 7-6-6c indicate the spaceing -- if it's parallel, the defense must be allowed between; if it's perpendicualr, the defense is not entitled to be between.

Thanks Bob.. I found it now also
Old Tue Feb 07, 2006, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

Legal or not???

Thanks Bob.. I found it now also
Under FED rules, is it correct that only 7.6.4, which addresses Team A's positioning when making a throw-in on its endline, applies to the matter of inter-positioning? That there's no mandate to inter-position players when throw-ins are along the other 3 boundaries?
Old Tue Feb 07, 2006, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by assignmentmaker
Under FED rules, is it correct that only 7.6.4, which addresses Team A's positioning when making a throw-in on its endline, applies to the matter of inter-positioning? That there's no mandate to inter-position players when throw-ins are along the other 3 boundaries?
No, that is not correct. 7-6-4 uses the the phrase "boundary line", not "endline". So I would take that to mean any of the 4 boundary lines.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2006, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
No, that is not correct. 7-6-4 uses the the phrase "boundary line", not "endline". So I would take that to mean any of the 4 boundary lines.
You are so right! (I swear I have been doing it right . . .). Read more carefully . . . read more carefully . . .
Old Tue Feb 07, 2006, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
You are so right! (I swear I have been doing it right . . .). Read more carefully . . . read more carefully . . .
How's 'inter-positioning' as a candidate technical term for these circumstances?
Old Tue Feb 07, 2006, 08:14pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

My books are still packed, but isn't the remedy for this just making it happen and separating the offending parties. The defense has to ask the refs, if memory serves, to force the issue. Also, my understanding is this only gets addressed if the players are parallel with the boundary line. A "stack" play wouldn't qualify, as the line is perpendicular to the boundary line.