The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 04, 2006, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

I HAVE OFFICIATED MY 3RD GAME LAST NIGHT.THE FIRST TWO WENT GREAT!BUT LAST NIGHT WAS LIKE A SLUG FEST!MY QUESTION IS WHEN DO YOU STOP THE JAW TALKING TO THE REFS.I FELL I LET IT GO TO LONG AND IT COULD HAVE BEEN MORE CALM IF I WOULD HAVE TOOK CONTROL EARLIER!I KNOW I BLEW A COUPLE CALLS DOES ANYONE ELSE THINK ABOUT THE CALLS YOU PROBLEY SHOULD HAVE CALLED AFTER THE GAME!
Old Sat Feb 04, 2006, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

When you question yourself about "Should I have called more fouls" or "should I have called a T". Then you probably should have made these calls. Remember a T is just another foul. Its a tool to penalize bad behavior and/or to make the game better. We all have been there and we all still have situations and plays we question. And this is at all levels. Just keep officiating and get experience.
Old Sat Feb 04, 2006, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

thanks
Old Sat Feb 04, 2006, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Step 1 is an firm warning (aka Stop Sign) to the coach.
Step 2 make sure your partner is aware of the formal warning
Step three - T away.

I allow coach's to comment on the game and calls as long as they are GAME based. Once the coach become personally offensive, demeaning, insulting.... move to step one above immediatly.
Old Sun Feb 05, 2006, 12:19am
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by newofficialtn
I HAVE OFFICIATED MY 3RD GAME LAST NIGHT.THE FIRST TWO WENT GREAT!BUT LAST NIGHT WAS LIKE A SLUG FEST!MY QUESTION IS WHEN DO YOU STOP THE JAW TALKING TO THE REFS.I FELL I LET IT GO TO LONG AND IT COULD HAVE BEEN MORE CALM IF I WOULD HAVE TOOK CONTROL EARLIER!I KNOW I BLEW A COUPLE CALLS DOES ANYONE ELSE THINK ABOUT THE CALLS YOU PROBLEY SHOULD HAVE CALLED AFTER THE GAME!
First of all - DON'T SHOUT!!!

Second of all - there's no set parameter for when you call a T. It varies from game to game, ref to ref. Of course, there are specific behaviors that always get one no matter what.

As you gain more experience, deciding when to call them will become more obvious and consistent.

The purpose of calling a T is to stop bad behavior. If you can stop it without calling one, you're just that much ahead.

Having said that, I have to admit calling them is almost as much fun as a sponge bath.