The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   "That's a travel" comeback (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/24740-thats-travel-comeback.html)

robertclasalle Sat Feb 04, 2006 07:01am

A partner I worked with taught me this one a few weeks ago, I have used it a few times since then, works every time. If a coach comments to you that a certain play was or was not a travel, and you believe that he/she is entitled to an answer, you can say, "Hey Coach, which foot was the pivot?" (They never know the answer to that question, never), then pause for 2 seconds, then continue, "Because if you don't know which foot was the pivot, you can't make a travel call, can you?" I say this very nicely with a friendly smile on my face.

Try it, it works every time. I don't make it a habit to talk to coaches or explain my calls, but sometimes it's necessary, if they ask politely or sometimes you get tested, and this establishes my credibility. It also takes them out of their "I know a travel when I see it" mentality.

Ref Daddy Sat Feb 04, 2006 01:49pm

Interesting and something for my "bag of tricks".

I'd use caution however. What if the coach makes a 50-50 guess and does give you and answer. Then what?

I usually shake my head if the coach is pressing the call. It acknowledges that your hearing them and that seems to mean the most.

Keep it real short with coachs. Too much going on on the floor.

robertclasalle Sat Feb 04, 2006 06:02pm

Trust me, Ref Daddy, they don't think that fast on their feet. And if they do guess, and respond to you, his/her pivot foot was his left (or right), just lie, and say no Coach, it was her right (or left). Trust me, they don't know, they just chatter. Try it. Let me know what happens.

I agree with you though, the best course is to just ignore them, don't let them know you're listening. Only do this when you feel it's appropriate.

Dan_ref Sat Feb 04, 2006 08:27pm

Quote:

Originally posted by robertclasalle
A partner I worked with taught me this one a few weeks ago, I have used it a few times since then, works every time. If a coach comments to you that a certain play was or was not a travel, and you believe that he/she is entitled to an answer, you can say, "Hey Coach, which foot was the pivot?"

"Wadaya mean which foot was the pivot???!!! You're asking ME which foot was the pivot????!!! No wonder you missed that one!!"

Now what?

Adam Sat Feb 04, 2006 08:59pm

Next time you called a travel on my team, "Hey ref."

"Yeah."

"Which foot was his pivot foot?"

robertclasalle Sun Feb 05, 2006 06:35am

Quote:

Originally posted by Snaqwells

"Yeah."

My answer to you, if I called a travel:

"The one he lifted."

And if I didn't call a travel:

"The one he didn't lift."

Snake~eyes Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:25am

Quote:

Originally posted by robertclasalle
Quote:

Originally posted by Snaqwells

"Yeah."

My answer to you, if I called a travel:

"The one he lifted."

And if I didn't call a travel:

"The one he didn't lift."

But lifting your pivot foot is not a travel.

SmokeEater Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:30am

It is if you lift it before dribbling. It is legal if you shoot or pass however.

whistleone Mon Feb 06, 2006 06:26pm

I tell them I thought it was ugly but ugly isn't illegal. If it was, we'd all be in trouble!

Rich Mon Feb 06, 2006 06:32pm

Never respond to statements like "That's a travel." Just ignore it and go on.

rainmaker Mon Feb 06, 2006 06:43pm

"That's travel!"

"Thank you..."

"But it's right in front of you, wasn't it?"

"Thank you..."

"But this is the third time!"

"Thank you..."