The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Talking to a group of kids tomorrow (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/24722-talking-group-kids-tomorrow.html)

AZ_REF Fri Feb 03, 2006 01:36pm

Every year we run a camp for high school and jr. college officials. It's not a tryout or associated with any confrence or the high school association. It's put on be some of the local D-I guys and other college officials. It's strictly for helping people improve and training new officials. This summer we've decided to take the first week of camp (camp consists of 3 1 week sessions in the afternoons) and use it to get high school kids interested in officiating. So we plan on holding a free camp for them for four afternoons in conjunction with a summer league.

Here's my question. I've been selected to go talk at a youth center for less fortuante teenagers tomorrow. I'll give a short presentation and then have a Q & A session. Any ideas on what I should go over to get them interested in officaiting. Any and all ideas are welcome, thanks.

mcdanrd Fri Feb 03, 2006 02:29pm

I haven't given a presentation to high school kids but I have for Junior high kids. I went over the basic mechanics for fifteen minutes and then we played a game similar to family feud. We broke up into two teams. We played in the gym and I ran the clock for twenty minutes. I made a video of vioations/ penalties etc... from a video I ordered from NFHS. I gave each kid a toy whistle.

Two kids would stand in front of the TV while I ran the first clip. The first to recognize the violation/foul, blow the whistle, and give the proper signal and call would win. The first player on his team would then get the opportunity to answer a rules question for one point. If they got it right they got another quetion for one point. If they missed the first question the other team got a chance to answer the question for one point. Then the next two would go to the TV and on and on until the time expired. The kids enjoyed it and several did express further interest in officiating.

[Edited by mcdanrd on Feb 3rd, 2006 at 02:31 PM]

AZ_REF Fri Feb 03, 2006 03:46pm

While that's not what I'm looking for tomorrow, it's a great idea. The video with plays and whistles is awesome. I'm gonna write that down right now. Thanks!

Andy Fri Feb 03, 2006 04:01pm

I have done this sort of thing before. One of the local HS coaches that I knew invited me to come to his summer camp and give a half-hour talk on officiating.

I used part of the time to do a little recruiting as well. Some of the things I emphasized was that it was a good way to stay close to the game if you weren't going to play at a college level, the exercise it afforded, and last but not least, the $$ to earn. That usually got their attention. After all, when I was a poor, starving HS and college student, I was always looking for a way to turn a buck. Officiating is a great part time job for a kid in HS or college.

Ref Daddy Fri Feb 03, 2006 05:15pm

Officials Rreferee because:
1) They love basketball
2) They love being on the floor during the contest
3) They respect the rules of the game
4) They have a chance to contribute to and determine a fair contect
5) They get aerobic exercise
6) Make a little extra pocket money

In doing so they get:
1) the best seat in the house
2) the thrill of competition
3) a chance to exercise discipline and control of the game
4) allow for a meaningful rules based contest

They get to work in a structured and cooperative way with a partner covering the action on the court
They are part of a program that has advancement and other progress measurements
They have the thrill of doing something most people find unbearably difficult

Back In The Saddle Fri Feb 03, 2006 05:22pm

Emphasize the endless stream of fame, laud and babes :D

stmaryrams Sat Feb 04, 2006 06:20am

Quote:

Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
Emphasize the endless stream of fame, laud and babes :D
I missed that part, what level do you need to work to get that?!?