The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Requst for your help please (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/24677-requst-your-help-please.html)

CoachTex Wed Feb 01, 2006 09:06pm

Howdy officials!
I'm an administrator with our local rec league. Next year, *ahem*, I am going to be THEE administrator, aka president. So this year, I've been making notes and such on how we can improve our league. We have kids from 6yo to 14yo. As much as parents protest, we do not keep score with the 6yo thru 8yo's (although all the parents do *grrr*). Wish we could change it for all leagues but I would probably be ran out of town. Anyway, here's my request:

We use high school refs from our local association for ALL games. We pay them $25/game (local association's fee structure). For the most part, we get good quality refs all the way down the line until we get to the little ones. There, we get a lot of refs that are just collecting a paycheck. I understand that these are usually rookie refs but in some cases, it's some joker looking to collect a check from us (sorry if that offends, but it's a reality). Normally in our little ones' games, the biggest/strongest kid dominates physically. Refs usual reply is "it's just a bunch of kids, let em play". I view it differently. It is a bunch of little kids, but I believe it should be more like tee-ball where everyone gets a hit. We have rules preventing double teams, chasing the ball, etc. but the refs for the most part ignore and "let the kids play". Game evolves into "caveman basketball", then only a very few kids or parents enjoy it.

Before next season, I would like to put out a handout to all the refs throughout the league. Specifying some of our points of emphasis, etc. Basically, how we, as a league, would like all games (esp the little ones) called, including clarification on some of our local rules. As officials, do you think this would offend or cause problems? Some of you that have called youth basketball games, do you have any suggestions as what you would like to see in it?

Also, I would really like your input on a handout for the coaches. Never before have we given the coaches anything but a copy of our local rules. As a coach and administrator, I know what I want to put in it, but you as officials, what would you want in it?

Next, I also want to prepare a handout for the parents. From an officials viewpoint, what would you like to see in it?

What I would really like to see come of this thread is some type of manual for youth basketball evolve. If I'm way off base, don't hesitate to let me know, but I value the opinion of the officials as you all are the only one's that really don't have a dog in the hunt.

Thanks,
Coach Tex

P.S. By the way, when my kids are out of the league, my goal is to get into officiating :D

Texas Aggie Wed Feb 01, 2006 09:26pm

Coach: what I'd recommend you doing on the lower level games is to have a running clock and eliminate (or significantly jack up) the bonus. I know you don't want to let things turn into a hack fest, but its unlikely at the 6-8 year old level that the ability to continue to foul as a team (they still have individual foul limits) that it will. The reason here is that a lot of officials are going to pass on fouls that you would rather they call so as to not turn the game into a day long free throw shooting contest. If you run the clock and don't have bonus shots, now most games are going to take the same amount of time regardless of what's called.

The problem I've always had with so-called "handouts" or league specific rules is whether to enforce them or not. Some public school jr. highs have these rules and I ignore them. They aren't part of UIL rules, and no one has briefed me on them. If they want to run things like that, its up to the coaches to police themselves. Your situation is a bit different as it isn't scholastic. You might simply remind the officials you hire about this.

Finally, I would suggest hiring an experienced official to handle the assignments. If you or someone in the league does it, you may not know how to get as good of officials out there, but if an official does it, he has hundreds of guys at his disposal (many that owe him favors), and chances are, he will get a better quality product. This may cost a little more (you can pay him like $2.50 or so for each game assigned and worked) but it will create fewer headaches for you.

What area of Texas are you in?

blindzebra Wed Feb 01, 2006 09:28pm

With the smaller kids, you really don't call a basketball game...I assume you are very liberal with traveling, double dribbles and such, since you said you weren't keeping score...so much of what you are attempting to do is more structuring the game for the kids to have fun and learn about the game. So why even have officials?

Have the coaches on the floor, be out there yourself, and turn them loose and let them run around and have fun. You get the game called more to your liking and you can save the money you'd spend on officials for those games for other things like ribbons, trophies and pizza parties.

When you start keeping score and the kids have more of a handle on fundamentals is when they really need officials anyway.

CoachTex Wed Feb 01, 2006 09:44pm

Texas Aggie,
Sorry, but my beliefs prevent me from taking advice from an aggy ;) JUST KIDDING! (and no, I'm not a whorn, just a classless clown :D).

We have the running clock (except for TO's and shooting fouls) but I never thought about the bonus situation. That's a GREAT idea! Thanks!

We have a league official that assigns the refs and he does a great job. We seem to scrape the bottom of the barrel though for our primary league as not a lot of experienced refs want that job. And I understand completely because it's not just a job as a ref but they have to be kind of a coach out there too.

As far as the handout, I forgot to mention that I would really like to have an officials' meeting the morning of our opening day, just to go over the local rules and what our expectations are for the league. Of course, we would offer to pay them to attend the meeting.

blindzebra,
YES! We are VERY liberal with the traveling and double dribble. Probably too much, but it's hard to draw a line with the little ones.

Why have officials? If you put a coach or parent out there, someone is going to scream. It's the nature of the beast I'm afraid. We've tried it in the past. But I do understand your point. The problem is finding volunteers willing to do it and with so many problems with parents in all youth sports, volunteers are harder and harder to find. But maybe I will put out some feelers to see if there are some interested parties. The biggest problem is, we have 18 primary teams which equates to 9 games over 2 gyms. Finding volunteers willing to give up 5 hours every Saturday for 7 weeks is tough!

[Edited by CoachTex on Feb 3rd, 2006 at 06:40 PM]

Back In The Saddle Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:08pm

With 6-8 year olds, I think you are just wasting your money on more qualified officials. Their skills aren't doing you much good at this level of play. My advice? Hire a group of HS basketball players/gym rats, pay 'em $10/game, and train them the way you want things handled. If you're not keeping score, and you do away with team fouls, you don't even need a scorekeeper. The ref can start the running clock and keep the arrow in his/her head.

blindzebra Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:17pm

Coach, it is really simple.

Have your parents and coaches sign a sportsmanship contract, any behavior that is unacceptable is not tolerated, if they can't live up to it...well bye,bye.

The kids won't learn the good things sports can bring if their parents and coaches set a poor example. It makes it less fun for the kids, a pain for you and the officials, as well as the parents and coaches who do have things in perspective.

Set the bar high, don't flinch when you need to lay down the law, and you just may be surprised by how easy your Saturdays may become.

fonzzy07 Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:23pm

Hey
I agree on the scoring and keeping fouls, your right not at that level. What i would tell the refs to ref those little games on three things.
1. Danger zone, any where a kid can score from the calls should be called.
2. Reward if a player makes a good play and forces the other player to travel foul ect then call it reward good play.
3. Cluelessness, tell a kid you cant walk with it, don't walk with it, and if you think hes clueless then call it.
I hope this helps.

CoachTex Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:04pm

Back In The Saddle,
We've tried hiring the high school kids in the past. Guess we hired the wrong ones cuz once they step on the floor, they get intimidated by the coaches and parents. We even tried this year with a former president of the league's kid, who was in our program for 8yrs and is now a varsity player. He was all gung-ho to start the season but has since swallowed his whistle.

As far as scorekeeper, that have to perform three functions: 1-Start/Stop the clock, 2-Keep track of minimum playing time requirements (every kid must play 2 full quarters and sit 1 full quarter), and 3-Possession arrow.

blindzebra,
I gotta say, for the most part, our parents are pretty well behaved during the games. Much better behaved than I have seen in some of the other sports. We have very few incidents during games. It's the whining and complaining after games to league officials that is bothersome. I may see about asking some of the coaches from the upper leagues about doing some officiating at the primary games. You guys are probably right, using paid officials is most likely a waste of money for that age group. It's a matter of finding other resources that will be tough.

fonzzy07,
Thanks! I like your list a lot. Mind if I use it?

I knew I came to the right place :D

fonzzy07 Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:12pm

fonzzy07,
Thanks! I like your list a lot. Mind if I use it?

I knew I came to the right place :D [/B][/QUOTE]
If you wanta use it its all yours. I didn't make it up, its how I was trained when I started out and got those games. I have moved on but work with the new guys and from what I've seen it works well. Good luck next year and keep me posted.

BktBallRef Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:14pm

Quote:

Originally posted by CoachTex
Also, I would really like your input on a handout for the coaches. Never before have we given the coaches anything but a copy of our local rules. As a coach and administrator, I know what I want to put in it, but you as officials, what would you want in it?

Next, I also want to prepare a handout for the parents. From an officials viewpoint, what would you like to see in it?

I wouldn't go the handout route for the officials. Go to the booking agent who assigns the officials. Explain the problems that you're having at the lower levels and what you would like to see done. As long as you approach it professionally, I don't think you'll have any problems.

Also, if need be, you could meet with the officials prior to the games and explain what you're looking for as well. If you have an official who isn't getting the picture and the game is getting out of hand, speak with him privately during halftime. If that doesn't work in the second half, send him home.

As for the parent handouts, there are many myths about the game. Over the next year, read this board, learn what these myths are, and publish them for your parents. Again, it wouldn't hurt to run it by the booking agent before publication.

Good luck!

fonzzy07 Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:18pm

I know most people don't like the NBA on here, but this has some good pointers for new officials.
http://www.nba.com/jrnba/officials/o...section15.html

CoachTex Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:22pm

Quote:

As for the parent handouts, there are many myths about the game.
Surely you're not talking about the "over the back" rule huh? :D

CoachTex Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:39pm

Quote:

Originally posted by fonzzy07
I know most people don't like the NBA on here, but this has some good pointers for new officials.
http://www.nba.com/jrnba/officials/o...section15.html

Thanks fonzzy07! That link is now on the front page of our league's website :D

Dan_ref Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:08am

Quote:

Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
With 6-8 year olds, I think you are just wasting your money on more qualified officials. Their skills aren't doing you much good at this level of play. My advice? Hire a group of HS basketball players/gym rats, pay 'em $10/game, and train them the way you want things handled.

Great advice.

My advice on what to tell the parents:

Dear parents,

This league is for your child to enjoy organized basketball and for you to enjoy your child. Spectator behavior will be closely monitored and those participating in any unsporting behavior will be banned from the gym. No exceptions.

rainmaker Thu Feb 02, 2006 02:50am

Two ways you might motivate "refs" to work harder at doing it the way you want:

1. They can't get the higher level games, until they're good at 3rd grade.

2. There's always a 3rd grade game included in their set of games, and they get no check if they don't do a good job.

Sheez, NO ONE around here gets $25 bucks a game for third grade!! If you're paying that much, they should be making you coffee, too!

You might think about having a few folks who are really committed to the 3rd and 4th grade, and only do that. I'd do this myself, if you presented the case to me. One thing that's hard for any ref, but especially inexperienced ones, is switching from ruleset to ruleset. I decided not to do a couple of rec leagues this year, cuz it was so hard to remember to watch for the zone defense, and call it. I would just get that into my mind, and then I'm back to varsity NFHS on weeknights, and I totally forget the zone thing by the next Saturday. Someone who did only the lowest levels would be more attuned to it.

rainmaker Thu Feb 02, 2006 02:55am

Almost forgot...

The way to "help" the parents "forget" to keep score, is to have them keep track of something else, such as rebounds, "good shots" (that should have gone in), assists, good passes, good catches, anything like that. If a parent is keeping track of these things to see which team wins, they'll still have to be noticing the good things the other team does in order to keep score. But if you change the item every week, they won't generally be adept enough to keep track, and they'll lose track of the "score".

This strategy also helps the kids see value in other skills besides shooting, and gives them a chance to focus on some other items besides points and shots. If you announce ahead of time what the item will be, "this coming Saturday will be assist day", they can work on it in practice, too.

Time2Ref Thu Feb 02, 2006 08:14am

I'm new, take what makes sense, ignore the rest.

I think you are doing a great service to your community. As you know, to do it right will take a LOT of work on your part.

I am trying to become a certified official. I am currently a referee for children. I have a limited knowledge of what you are trying to do. That being said, here are some things to consider:

Just as you are trying to develop good basketball players of children, so too can you help to develop good referees from rookies. Contact the local "association" (start NFHS and work your way down to your state, then to your local association) Most should have mentoring programs. Any new ref will value getting the experience "on the floor".

Have a grading session. Evaluate the players' talents. YOU PICK THE TEAMS AND MAKE THEM AS FAIR AS YOU CAN!

Get the NFHS rule book and learn the rules. (Get books for each coach and referee. (Decide what rule changes you would like for your kids)

Don't forget that you need scorekeepers and timers (don't try to get volunteers from the audience each game)

Schedule your games the same night each week. Pay them a FAIR price to ref a couple of games that night. The asscociation can advise you as to what is fair. (that way they can make a commitment and it allows them time to schedule their time)

Have a meeting at the beginning of the season. This will include coaches, referees, and yourself. Discuss rule changes. Listen to their input. Agree on what rule changes will be observed. Stress SPORTSMANSHIP. Remind everyone, the goal is to develop skills and sportsmanship.

The important thing is the children. Coaches and Referees are there for the Kids. Nobody goes to the game to see the Ref. Nobody goes to the game to see the Coach. If your coaches and refs can't sign on to this philosophy, get new ones.

Develop a plan to increase knowledge and "calls" as the season progresses. For example, the first week, coaches will concentrate on the basics, like inbounding the ball, dribbling, proper defense(no contact), foul shooting (without lane violations). Refs will concentrate on things like traveling, proper inbounds (our kids can't cross the opponets foul line until the ball is inbounded, sort of "free ins"), and yes fouls.

The coaches job is to teach the basics and good sportsmanship. The kids will learn. BUT, the message does not sink in until they make the mistake on the floor and the whistle blows. If the ref doesn't call a foul, they won't learn not to foul, no matter what the coach does.

The kids will learn mostly from their coaches' EXAMPLE. If the coach is a good sport, the kids will learn to be a good sport.

The coaches and the refs MUST WORK TOGETHER. They are on the same team. The kids are the stars.

And remember (and remind the coaches and refs) NO matter what you do, you can't teach these kids EVERYTHING in one season. So decide what you will teach them this year, and make sure the coaches and refs work together to teach them those things.

Hope this helps.

SmokeEater Thu Feb 02, 2006 09:56am

Coach, we run a very similar program here in Winnipeg Manitoba, that has been very successful. It is called Winnipeg Minor Basketball Association, it has a website. I am not sure if I am allowed to post it here so if you take the first letters of the name and add a .ca at the end you will get there. The coordinator of the league is Adam Wedlake, I am sure if you contacted him for some ideas he could help you out.

On a side note, in this league we have a Gym Supervisor that is to oversee the running of the games. they ensure the referees are doing the job and coaches and fans stay in line. It takes away some of the fees from the refs as the fee is split 3 ways but it does help.

Smoke

JCrow Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:00pm

CoachTex,

I've been involved in a similar program for about 13 years.

1. IMO, the 5-6 Grade Level is about where competitive basketball should begin. Below that it's Instructional with minimal emphasis on Winning & Losing or keeping score.

2. You need people that know the Rules to provide good instruction in any Youth Level. Our Y Program sent a number of volunteers to Ref Schools over the years and these people provide the volunteer officationg up to the 9-12 Grade Level where we go to IABBO Refs.

Some of the IABBO Refs we get are very good, most are good and a few are awful. The kids' safety is the important thing. Fouls must be called to prevent the game from turning into a slugfest.

This Year, we included a Handout for Coaches to educate them about 15 basic NHFS basketball rules. In the Rules for each Level, I preface them by saying that the Rules of the NFHS apply with the following exceptions.....pressing, double-teams, zone restrictions, etc.

Happy to send you our Rules and Handout by separate e-mail if it helps. Anytime.

John

CoachTex Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:13pm

nm

[Edited by CoachTex on Feb 3rd, 2006 at 06:39 PM]

stmaryrams Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:18pm

I do some games for a local CYO league which does have differing rules based on grade.

We have a meeting to go over the league specific rules each year. All officials who want to work these games must attend.

This year they tried to keep each official in no more than two groups of rule sets so that one doesn't get confused about which set you are calling.

We each get a copy of the league rules just like the coaches. At the league coaches meeting, there is an official who covers the rules with coaches.

Last week I had a technical foul on a 4th grader for slamming the ball following my partner call him for a violation. The coach says as I report it to "Not take this so seriously". I replied " better to learn sportmanship now than 5 years from now"

JCrow Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:49pm

Tex,

I sent you our Rules. Now, go over to the Post on "Favorite Referees" and vote for me. Currently, Rut and I are running in a close 0-0 tie.

Crow

Rich Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:57pm

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker

2. There's always a 3rd grade game included in their set of games, and they get no check if they don't do a good job.

Sheez, NO ONE around here gets $25 bucks a game for third grade!! If you're paying that much, they should be making you coffee, too!

You might think about having a few folks who are really committed to the 3rd and 4th grade, and only do that. I'd do this myself, if you presented the case to me. One thing that's hard for any ref, but especially inexperienced ones, is switching from ruleset to ruleset. I decided not to do a couple of rec leagues this year, cuz it was so hard to remember to watch for the zone defense, and call it. I would just get that into my mind, and then I'm back to varsity NFHS on weeknights, and I totally forget the zone thing by the next Saturday. Someone who did only the lowest levels would be more attuned to it.

Oh, yeah. Being forced to work a 3rd grade game is going to motivate me.

While we have our share of problems here, I'm soooooo happy I'm not forced to work games I don't want to work.

JCrow Thu Feb 02, 2006 01:03pm

Mr. Fronheiser,

It's perfectly understandable that you want to stick to the 2nd Grade games before moving up too quickly. There's no shame in that.

John

Rich Thu Feb 02, 2006 01:12pm

Quote:

Originally posted by JCrow
Mr. Fronheiser,

It's perfectly understandable that you want to stick to the 2nd Grade games before moving up too quickly. There's no shame in that.

John

And thank you for my laugh of the day.

rainmaker Thu Feb 02, 2006 01:17pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker

Oh, yeah. Being forced to work a 3rd grade game is going to motivate me.

While we have our share of problems here, I'm soooooo happy I'm not forced to work games I don't want to work.

Rich --

I thought he was talking about high school age refs here, but looking back, I see I misunderstood. You're right that asking NFHS refs to do this could be tricky. I think for teenagers it would be a great introduction to reffing. Pay them $10 per game, and pay a "trainer" to watch and coach (coach the refs) for the first couple or three games. The rec league I work for on the weekends does this and it works out very well.

JCrow Thu Feb 02, 2006 01:29pm

Favorite Ref Tally 1:26 pm

Rainmaker - 0
JRutledge - 0
Rich Fronheiser - 0
JCrow - 0
DanRef -0
Fonzy07 - 0
JurassicRef - O
BobJenkins - Recused himself due to Off Topic subject matter.

Now, I know how Dick Nixon felt in the 1960 Race....

ATXCoach Thu Feb 02, 2006 01:32pm

CoachTex,

I ran the programs at a youth organization for a few years myself. I found that the best refs were refs that were always there. I was lucky because I'm in Austin and had some UT frat boys that stayed with us for about 3 years. Once they graduated, I too went the route of the local high school refs.

The problem I found was that these refs never quite understood the "league" rules. I couldn't have a ref's meeting because I didn't know who was reffing in a given week, since all I had was a contact with the local chapter assignor. I fielded many complaints from it.

My suggestion is that you find a core group of officials to call the younger groups that know the coaches and kids. Once your league begins to play "real" basketball, then it's easier to use the local chapter officials who can just call what they see.

Also, I always used high school or young college kids to ref anything up to 3rd grade. If a coach got out of line, it was my job to make sure it didn't happen again. If it did, bye bye coach - two year ban from coaching the league. The threat of the embarrasment involved in that punishment is enough to keep their mouths shut. Also, we had a zero tolerance rule and informed the coached of it at the coach's meeting. The coaches got their only warning before the season even started.

One last thing to remember, and some on here may disagree, but reffing rec league basketball isn't about knowing the finer points of the rule book discussed on many a thread in here . . . it's about safety and flow. Knowing when a travel shouldn't be called or what kid can take a little more contact and still continue or what kid is so clumsy that if you don't blow the whistle early s/he is gonna lay someone out or what kid hasn't scored all year and needs a phantom foul to get a chance on the free throw line.

Just some thoughts from someone once in your position.

JCrow Thu Feb 02, 2006 01:47pm

ATX,

Bullseye!

(You got my Vote.)

CoachTex Thu Feb 02, 2006 02:12pm

Thanks everyone! Great advice. I really appreciate it.

BillyMac Thu Feb 02, 2006 09:27pm

Parent, Coach, Player Handout

MOST MISUNDERSTOOD BASKETBALL RULES

1) It is important to know the intent and purpose of a rule so that it may be intelligently applied in each play situation. A player of a team should not be permitted an advantage which is not intended by a rule. Neither should play be permitted to develop which may lead to placing a player at a disadvantage not intended by a rule.

2) A player cannot touch the ball, ring, or net while the ball is on the ring or within the basket. A player cannot touch the ball if it is in the imaginary cylinder above the ring. These are examples of basket interference. It is legal to touch the ring or the net if the ball is above the ring and not touching the ring, even if the ball is in the imaginary cylinder above the ring. It is legal to hang on the ring if a player is avoiding an injury to himself or herself or another player.

3) The backboard has nothing to do with goaltending. Goaltending is contacting the ball on its downward flight, above the level of the rim, with a chance to go in. On most layups, the ball is going up after it contacts the backboard. It is legal to pin the ball against the backboard if it still on the way up and not in the imaginary cylinder above the basket. Slapping the backboard is neither basket interference nor is it goaltending and points cannot be awarded. A player who strikes a backboard so forcefully that it cannot be ignored because it is an attempt to draw attention to the player, or a means of venting frustration, may be assessed a technical foul. When a player simply attempts to block a shot and accidentally slaps the backboard it is neither a violation nor is it a technical foul.

4) The front, top, sides, and bottom of the backboard are all in play. The ball cannot pass over a rectangular backboard from either direction. The back of a backboard is out of bounds as well as the supporting structures.

5) The traveling rule is one of the most misunderstood rules in basketball. To start a dribble, the ball must be released before the pivot foot is lifted. On a pass or a shot, the pivot foot may be lifted, but may not return to the floor before the ball is released. A player may slide on the floor while trying to secure a loose ball until that player’s momentum stops. At that point that player cannot attempt to get up or rollover. A player securing a ball while on the floor cannot attempt to stand up unless that player starts a dribble. A player in this situation may also pass, shoot, or call a timeout. If the player is flat on his or her back, that player may sit up without violating.

6) During a fumble the player is not in control of the ball, and therefore, cannot be called for a traveling violation. A fumble is the accidental loss of player control when the ball is unintentionally dropped or slips from a player’s grasp. After a player has ended a dribble and fumbled the ball, that player may recover the ball without violating. Any steps taken during the recovery of a fumble are not traveling, regardless of how far the ball goes and the amount of advantage that is gained. It is always legal to recover a fumble, even at the end of a dribble, however that player cannot begin a new dribble, which would be a double dribble violation. A player who fumbles the ball when receiving a pass may legally start a dribble.

7) The shooter can retrieve his or her own airball, if the referee considers it to be a shot attempt. The release ends team control. It is not a violation for that player to start another dribble at that point. When an airborne player keeps control of an attempted shot that is blocked and is unable to release the ball and returns to the floor with it, that player has not traveled; it is a jump ball. If, in this situation, the shooter releases the ball, then this is simply a blocked shot and play continues.

8) Palming or carrying is when a player gains an advantage when the ball comes to rest in the player's hand, and the player either travels with the ball, or dribbles a second time. There is no restriction as to how high a player may bounce the ball, provided the ball does not come to rest in a player’s hand. Steps taken during a dribble are not traveling, including several that are sometimes taken when a high dribble takes place. It is not possible for a player to travel during a dribble.

9) A player inbounding the ball may step on, but not over the line. During a designated spot throwin, the player inbounding the ball must keep one foot on or over the three-foot wide designated spot. An inbounding player is allowed to jump or move one or both feet. A player inbounding the ball may move backward as far as the five-second time limit or space allows. If player moves outside the three-foot wide designated spot it is a violation, not travelling. In gymnasiums with limited space outside the sidelines and endlines, a defensive player may be asked to step back no more than three feet.

10) The defender may not break the imaginary plane during a throwin. If the defender breaks the imaginary plane during a throwin, the defender’s team will receive a warning. Any subsequent violations will result in a team technical foul. If the defender contacts the ball after breaking the imaginary plane, it is a player technical foul and a team warning will be recorded. If the defender fouls the inbounding player after breaking the imaginary plane, it is an intentional personal foul, and a team warning will be recorded.

11) The inbounding player does not have a plane restriction, but has five seconds to release the ball and it must come directly onto the court. The ball can always be passed into the backcourt during a throwin. This situation is not a backcourt violation.

12) If a player's momentum carries him or her off the court, he or she can be the first player to touch the ball after returning inbounds. That player must not have left the court voluntarily and must immediately return inbounds. That player must have something in and nothing out. It is not necessary to have both feet back inbounds.

13) If a blind screen is set on a stationary defender, the defender must be given one normal step to change direction and attempt to avoid contact. If a screen is set on a moving defender, the defender gets a minimum of one step and a maximum of two steps, depending on the speed and distance of the defender.

14) The hand is considered part of the ball when the hand is in contact with the ball. This includes holding, dribbling, passing, or even during a shot attempt. Striking a ball handler or a shooter on that player's hand that is incidental to an attempt to play the ball is not a foul, no matter how loud it sounds or how much it hurts.

15) Reaching in is not a foul. The term is nowhere to be found in any rulebook. There must be contact to have a foul. The mere act of reaching in, by itself, is nothing. If contact does occur, it’s either a holding foul or an illegal use of hands foul. When a player, in order to stop the clock, does not make a legitimate play for the ball, holds, pushes or grabs away from the ball, or uses undue roughness, the foul is an intentional foul.

16) Over the back is not a foul. The term is nowhere to be found in any rulebook. There must be contact to have a foul. A taller player may often be able to get a rebound over a shorter player, even if the shorter player has good rebounding position. If the shorter player is displaced, then a pushing foul must be called. A rebounding player, with an inside position, while boxing out, is not allowed to push back or displace an opponent, which is a pushing foul.

17) A defensive player does not have to remain stationary to take a charge. A defender may turn away or duck to absorb contact, provided he or she has already established legal guarding position, which is both feet on the playing court and facing the opponent. The defender can always move backwards or sideways to maintain a legal guarding position and may even have one or both feet off the playing court when contact occurs. That player may legally rise vertically. If the defender is moving forward, then the contact is caused by the defender, which is a blocking foul.

18) The mere fact that contact occurs does not constitute a foul. Incidental contact is contact with an opponent which is permitted and does not constitute a foul. Contact, which occurs unintentionally in an effort by an opponent to reach a loose ball, or contact which may result when opponents are in equally favorable positions to perform normal defensive or offensive moves, should not be considered illegal, even though the contact may be severe. Contact which does not hinder an opponent from participating in normal defensive or offensive movements should be considered incidental.

19) A ten-second count continues when the defense deflects or bats the ball in the backcourt. When a dribbler is advancing the ball into the frontcourt, the ball maintains backcourt status until both feet and the ball touch entirely in the frontcourt.

20) During a throwin, even under a team’s own basket, if the throwin is deflected, tipped, or batted by an offensive player in the frontcourt to an offensive player in the backcourt; or after a missed field goal attempt or a missed foul shot attempt, if the ball is deflected, tipped, or batted by an offensive player in the frontcourt to an offensive player in the backcourt; these are not a backcourt violations. In both cases team control, a player holding or dribbling the ball, has not yet been established.

21) During a throwin or jump ball, any player; or a defensive player, in making a steal; may legally jump from his or her frontcourt, secure control of the ball with both feet off the floor, and return to the floor with one or both feet in the backcourt. The player may make a normal landing and it makes no difference whether the first foot down is in the frontcourt or the backcourt. These three situations are not backcourt violations.

22) The closely guarded rule is in effect in frontcourt only, when a defender is within six feet of the ball handler. Up to three separate five-second counts may occur on the same ball handler, holding, dribbling, and holding. The count continues even if defenders switch. The five-second count ends when a dribbler gets his or her head and shoulders ahead of the defender.

23) The intent of the three-second rule is to not allow an offensive player to gain an advantage. Referees will not call this violation if the player is not gaining an advantage. There is no three-second count between the release of a shot and the control of a rebound, at which time a new count starts. There is no three-second count during a throwin. There is no three-second count while the ball is in the backcourt. Allowance shall be made for a player who, having been in the restricted area for less than three seconds, dribbles in or moves immediately to try for goal.

24) The head coach may request and be granted a timeout if his or her player is holding or dribbling the ball,or during a dead ball period. A player saving the ball in the air can ask for and be granted a timeout even if that player is going out of bounds. The key is whether or not the player has control of the ball.

25) On free throws, there is a maximum of two offensive players and four defensive players in the six marked lane spaces. The defense must be in both bottom spaces on all free throws. The shooter and all the players in the designated lane spaces must wait until the ball hits rim or backboard before entering the lane. During a free throw, no opponent, including bench personnel, may disconcert the free thrower.

26) Kicking the ball is intentionally striking it with any part of the leg or foot. An unintentionally kicked ball is never illegal, regardless of how far the ball goes and who recovers it. It is also illegal to hit the ball with a fist.

27) Players may not participate while wearing jewelry. Religious medals or medical alert medals are not considered jewelry. A religious medal must be taped and worn under the uniform. A medical alert medal must be taped and may be visible. Headbands must be made of a single colored cloth. Rubber or cloth elastic bands may be used to control hair. Undershirts must be similar in color to the jersey and shall not have frayed or ragged edges. State associations may on an individual basis, allow a player to participate while wearing a head covering, if it is worn for medical or religious reasons, provided that the covering is not abrasive, hard, or dangerous, and is attached in such a way that it is highly unlikely to come off during play. Written documentation should be available.

28) Officials are not required to explain judgment calls, but they may explain some calls if approached by the head coach in a respectful manner. Officials have been instructed to call technical fouls for profanity, unsporting acts and excessive complaints or verbal abuse.

29) Officials do not make calls that decide the outcome of a game. Players commit fouls and violations; officials view those infractions, judge the action, and then apply the rules of the game to what they had viewed. The rules then determine the penalty. Officials are on the court to be the only unbiased arbiters of the game. Officials are not concerned with who wins or loses, but only fairness and safety. Everyone else in that gym cares about winning, and therefore cannot look at the game objectively.

Revised 10/13/05