The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Throw-in "baiting" (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/24674-throw-baiting.html)

Chris Whitten Wed Feb 01, 2006 06:52pm

JV boys game: On several occasions during throws-in, A1 would "bait" B1 by holding the ball out toward him, but not over the line. B1 never took the bait. In the spirit of sportsmanship, this didn't sit well with me, but I haven't found anything in the rules against it. Is there anything that addresses this?

deecee Wed Feb 01, 2006 06:58pm

actually

seems smart -- its not bad sportsmanship but smart play -- draw a delay of game or a T -- not like hes talking smack good for him and what does this have to do with sportsmanship -- it should be clear to the Defense not to reach over the line and if they do it needs to be handled.

Adam Thu Feb 02, 2006 02:36am

Chris,
You're right. There's nothing you can do, becauset there's no rule against it. It's up to the defense not to fall for it. He only has to control himself for 5 seconds.

ChuckElias Thu Feb 02, 2006 08:38am

Nothing to call there. In fact, this was part of a last-second play that we used to have in HS. If we had just been scored on, and needed a quick score ourselves, the inbounder would "offer" the ball to the defender. If he touched it, great! Technical foul.

If not, then the inbounder would run the endline, where a teammate would be waiting with a screen. If the defender ran over the screener to stay with the inbounder, great! Bonus FTs.

If neither of those worked, we had a baseball pass option (hopefully) for a last-second jumper.

It always sounded good, but we never got the T or the bonus FTs.

TimTaylor Thu Feb 02, 2006 08:53am

Can't do a whole lot of baiting in 5 seconds anyway.....

Husker John Thu Feb 02, 2006 09:10am

Additional Thought

Was this the same player that would hold the ball in that position? Sometimes, it may just be poor technique on the part of the player. Besides that, not much can be done.

assignmentmaker Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:53am

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
Nothing to call there. In fact, this was part of a last-second play that we used to have in HS. If we had just been scored on, and needed a quick score ourselves, the inbounder would "offer" the ball to the defender. If he touched it, great! Technical foul.

If not, then the inbounder would run the endline, where a teammate would be waiting with a screen. If the defender ran over the screener to stay with the inbounder, great! Bonus FTs.

If neither of those worked, we had a baseball pass option (hopefully) for a last-second jumper.

It always sounded good, but we never got the T or the bonus FTs.

I used to have my team, when we could, bounce pass the ball out of bounds along the endline. Nefarious? Yes. Good bait? It worked a few times.