The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Assigning fees (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/24668-assigning-fees.html)

assignmentmaker Wed Feb 01, 2006 03:10pm

I'd appreciate hearing what the ASSIGNING fees are where you work.

[Edited by assignmentmaker on Feb 1st, 2006 at 03:59 PM]

LarryS Wed Feb 01, 2006 03:24pm

Varies. Many school districts have negotiated a flat fee with the chapter...which may or may not include a mileage allowance. Size of the schools plays a part and obviously the level (varsity/sub-varsity) matters. We also service some private schools who negotiate with the chapter independantly. Some, but not many, have a scale based on the gate.

Minimum is $25 for sub-varsity. I recently worked a girls JV/Varsity double header with a crowd of about 100. Check from the school district was $90 (they broke it down $25 for JV, $65 for varsity)...shocked the heck out of me.

Most of the time, officials are schedule for both boys and girls in a double header (work both JV games or both varsity games). Normally, two games of sub-varsity = $50-$60. Haven't had two games of varsity yet so I can't tell you that total.

We also sometimes give a break for tournaments if it is sponsored by a booster club understanding that for many of them that is their primary fund raiser.

EDIT: Didn't think about the other way...I pay $100 a year to officiate (state and local fees which includes what the chapter pays the assignment secretary). We have one local camp that is free. I also attend a three person camp that cost about $125 (I think...can't remember exactly...it's only money)

[Edited by LarryS on Feb 1st, 2006 at 03:56 PM]

TwoDot Wed Feb 01, 2006 03:51pm

In Montana it is $30 for sub-varsity, $50 for varsity. In addition, if the game is away from the pool location there is a $.07 per mile per diem and the designated driver also recieves abt $.34 per mile (figured round trip). non-high school games are usually less but can very.

If you were talking about what the assignment fees are, I pay $50 to the State and then a $30 fee for membership in the local pool plus a $10 assignment fee.

Jerry Blum Wed Feb 01, 2006 03:55pm

In Indianapolis area this is what I have seen.

Subvarsity - $35-48 depends on the school
Varsity - $50-$62 again depending on the school.

No milage is paid for any of the schools I have been at.

A couple of assignors charge $10 to assign underlevel games. As far as I know there are no fees for the varsity assignors. Most of the time games are gotten from the schools themselves, so there is no assigning fee.

[Edited by Jerry Blum on Feb 1st, 2006 at 04:22 PM]

ranjo Wed Feb 01, 2006 04:06pm

In my part of the country I am a member of a local board. We have a school commissioner and a rec commissioner who assign all games. They get an 8% fee of what the game pays. So for a $60 2-man varsity game they would get $4.80 per official off the top.

Ed Maeder Wed Feb 01, 2006 04:09pm

Our assigner gets 8.5% off the top.

Ref-X Wed Feb 01, 2006 06:07pm

Here in Jersey.
The per game fee for Varsity is $65, for sub-varsity $50. This is girls or boys games.
Any level under high school will range for $30-$50 per game, depending on that league.
I have never paid a fee to any assigner to get games.

ranjo Wed Feb 01, 2006 06:37pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ranjo
In my part of the country I am a member of a local board. We have a school commissioner and a rec commissioner who assign all games. They get an 8% fee of what the game pays. So for a $60 2-man varsity game they would get $4.80 per official off the top.

To explain farther - The board commissioner is responsible for negotiating contracts with the individual schools including any travel allowance etc. Since the board holds the contract for the season or seasons, the school can not hire independent contractors for individual games. Same goes for rec leagues.

The down side of this is if another officiating organization gets a league the commissioner has bid on, we are not supposed to work that league without the possible penalty of losing games from our board if it is known. We get into some serious coversations about being independent contractors, but the rules are clearly stated in the boards bylaws.

Texas Aggie Wed Feb 01, 2006 09:16pm

I've only worked in Texas, but I think all the chapters (HS) that I have been a part of work the same way: dues are paid (right now, state dues are about $25 and local dues are about $75 or so), and the chapter makes other money from scrimmages ($100 per) and perhaps other things. The assignment secretary takes a cut and the sub-varsity (or assistant) secretaries take their cut. None is on a per game fee.

There are some independent guys that have picked up various schools, mostly private schools. I guess they've negotiated a per game fee with the school. If not, I don't know.

Teigan Wed Feb 01, 2006 09:34pm

well for junior high grades 6-9 (12-15 yr olds) we get about $25.00 CDN, and for grade 10-12 (16-18 yr olds); we get $35.00 CDN, our college officials i think make 40 CDN, and our university make 45 CDN, and in a Men's Gold Medal College game they will make a solid $50.00 CDN. Our assignor takes a percentage off the total tournament cost, so the organizers pay his chunk, not the refs!!! :D

[Edited by Teigan on Feb 1st, 2006 at 09:41 PM]

dblref Thu Feb 02, 2006 07:29am

In my association, we have a scholastic commissioner (assigner) and a rec commissioner. I do not officiate any games not assigned by these guys. Game fees for F/JV are $45 per official (2-person). Fees for varsity games (3-person) are $60 per official. We also do the clock for several schools and that pays $30. If an official does a F/JV double-header and then the clock in the varsity game, they will make $120 for the night. We also have some MS games starting around 2:00 pm that pay $65 for 1 official -- these don't happen very often. Commissioners get 8% of the game fee. I also pay state fees ($7 I think) and association dues of $40.

IREFU2 Thu Feb 02, 2006 08:17am

Quote:

Originally posted by assignmentmaker
I'd appreciate hearing what the ASSIGNING fees are where you work.

[Edited by assignmentmaker on Feb 1st, 2006 at 03:59 PM]

In my part of VA here is the breakdown -

AAA Boys and Girls - $67.50
AA & A Boys and Girls - $60.00

FrankHtown Thu Feb 02, 2006 08:35am

The ASSIGNING fees in Houston:

Sub-Varsity Game $1.50
Varsity Game $2.00

per official per game