The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   How often do you refer to your BIBLE?? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/24628-how-often-do-you-refer-your-bible.html)

Nate1224hoops Mon Jan 30, 2006 02:10pm

Judging by some of the questions that I have seen posted on the board the last couple of days, I would have to say that I don't think some people own a Rule Book, much less ever refer to it.

My question is simple: How often do you refer to your rule book throughout the season??

I read it cover to cover once prior to BB season and have referred to it at least once every week or two throughout the season.

crazy voyager Mon Jan 30, 2006 02:19pm

I ususally asks my mentor or partner (scince most questions come up during games) after that I go home and check it, so once a month maybe, sometimes more sometimes less (depends on how much games I get assigned too really, and what levels)

Junker Mon Jan 30, 2006 02:42pm

Depends. Obviously I look it over well in the pre-season doing the test. After that, I actaully spend more time with the case book. Sometimes when I have some time to fill in my classroom, I'll give the students (I teach 5th grade) situations from the case book for fun. They enjoy it. Other than that, I use the rules book when something goofy happens in a game I'm working, watching, or hearing about.

JRutledge Mon Jan 30, 2006 02:44pm

Nate,

I really am not sure what the point of your post is, but the rulebook is not the Bible to officiating. If it was when most of us attend camps they are not rules clinics. In most basketball games that I work most of the calls or situations are not that complicated or unusual. Most of what I see is basic calls and basic situations. What is said on this board is usually very unusual and something many of us never experience.

Learning the rules is more about experiencing things instead of just reading the rulebook. If you never see certain things it can be difficult to have a full understanding of the rule unless it is clearly listed in the casebook. I also feel that you can read too much into the rulebook and find things to call rather than using common sense or good judgment. That is another discussion for another day.

Peace

Nate1224hoops Mon Jan 30, 2006 03:13pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Junker
Depends. Obviously I look it over well in the pre-season doing the test. After that, I actaully spend more time with the case book. Sometimes when I have some time to fill in my classroom, I'll give the students (I teach 5th grade) situations from the case book for fun. They enjoy it. Other than that, I use the rules book when something goofy happens in a game I'm working, watching, or hearing about.
LOL..I teach 7th grade and that sounds like an unusual way to sharpen your skills.

Nate1224hoops Mon Jan 30, 2006 03:19pm

Quote:

The point of my post is exactly what you are saying. The last couple of days there have been several issues that have arisen that are just dumb. The 3 sec. thread and the disqualification thread are perfect examples. If you own a rule book then there should be no questions. As far as it being our bible, it along with the case book of course, I really dont see how you can despute this. Every call we make during a game is addressed in this small little book. I am not asking can you quote the entire thing front to back, I am just curious as to how many experienced officials actually refer to it during the course of the season thats all. I'm not trying to say, as you seem to infer, that there is nothing more than that book to officiating. There is much much more. Just seems as though some of the recent posts, mostly new posters don't have or havent read the BOOK.

zebraman Mon Jan 30, 2006 03:22pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Nate1224hoops
Judging by some of the questions that I have seen posted on the board the last couple of days, I would have to say that I don't think some people own a Rule Book, much less ever refer to it.

My question is simple: How often do you refer to your rule book throughout the season??

I read it cover to cover once prior to BB season and have referred to it at least once every week or two throughout the season.

I read the rule book, case book and official's manual every season and highlight anything I want to go back and review later. I refer to it throughout the season to verify things or check something that came up. I agree with you that many veterans tend to not crack the rule books much. I have seen a couple of rule screw-ups locally this year that shouldn't have happened.

Most of our calls are pretty routine. It's those once-a-season things that require study and they are the ones that make for good newspaper articles when they are screwed up. Many officials don't study the rule book enough.

Z

TriggerMN Mon Jan 30, 2006 03:24pm

I basically read the rule book(s) cover to cover about 4-5 times during the course of the season. I peruse it about 200 other times. It's nice to have a group of guys who constantly pepper one another with goofy, made up situations. It makes you not only use the rule book, but use your other basketball knowledge as well.

ChuckElias Mon Jan 30, 2006 03:27pm

Quote:

The point of my post is exactly what you are saying. The last couple of days there have been several issues that have arisen that are just dumb. . . [snip]. . . I am just curious as to how many experienced officials actually refer to it during the course of the season
My guess, Nate, is that the people who posted those "dumb" questions are not "experienced" officials. Although they've passed a test, they haven't had enough time or games under their belts to know those situations cold. Just a thought.

Junker Mon Jan 30, 2006 03:37pm

Quote:

Originally posted by TriggerMN
I basically read the rule book(s) cover to cover about 4-5 times during the course of the season. I peruse it about 200 other times. It's nice to have a group of guys who constantly pepper one another with goofy, made up situations. It makes you not only use the rule book, but use your other basketball knowledge as well.
I'll just quit reading mine and call you from now on. Is it the made up situations that are goofy or the people that make them up?

Junker Mon Jan 30, 2006 03:45pm

Quote:

[i]Originally posted by Nate1224hoops

LOL..I teach 7th grade and that sounds like an unusual way to sharpen your skills. [/B]
The kids enjoy it. They can tell when I talk about officiating how much I love it so it gets them interested. Also, this year I have a class that's a little more into athletics than previous years. We talk a lot about sportsmanship and once in a while I have them act out plays. At least 1/7 of the 5th graders in my town will have some understanding of the rules and sportsmanship when they get to middle school and high school.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Mon Jan 30, 2006 04:25pm

With apologies to Mel Brooks.

RULE BOOK!! I don't need no stinkin' rule book.

From my numerous posts, it is obvious that I refer to my rule books, casebooks, and officials manuals, quite often each week through out the year (and I mean calendar year); and that means even climbing up into the attic at least a couple times a month.

You use the term Bible. There is a retired civil engineering professor, John N. Cernica, Ph.D, P.E., at Youngstown State University, who has written two engineering textbooks. The one: Strenght of Materials is used quite a bit at other engineering schools. He always refers to this textbook in his classes as the Bible. About fifteen years ago, I was interviewing for a structural engineering position with a firm in Cleveland, Ohio. During the interview process, the head of the department told me that a few years earlier he had a structural engineer who had graduated from YSU and he would sometimes make a reference to the Bible. He told me that he never asked him what he meant because he thought he might be considered rude. But he asked me, if as a YSU graduate, if I knew what this other engineer meant. I just about busted a gut laughing and then told him what it meant.

MTD, Sr.

[Edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. on Jan 30th, 2006 at 04:33 PM]

rockyroad Mon Jan 30, 2006 04:51pm

Quote:

Quote:

[i]Originally posted by Nate1224hoops

LOL..I teach 7th grade and that sounds like an unusual way to sharpen your skills.
The kids enjoy it. They can tell when I talk about officiating how much I love it so it gets them interested. Also, this year I have a class that's a little more into athletics than previous years. We talk a lot about sportsmanship and once in a while I have them act out plays. At least 1/7 of the 5th graders in my town will have some understanding of the rules and sportsmanship when they get to middle school and high school. [/B]
Interesting...I do the same thing with my 7th graders during our "elective" time. Most kids like it...I even let them read the situations to me and they get to "quiz" me...that's when it gets fun for them.

rainmaker Mon Jan 30, 2006 06:43pm

Quote:

Well, I don't see the Christian Bible as a rulebook, so I don't think your metaphor is apt.

But to answer the question, I usually refer to the rulebook at least once or twice a week, sometimes more, depending on situations that come up in my games, or that someone asks about.

Dan_ref Mon Jan 30, 2006 08:23pm

Re: With apologies to Mel Brooks.

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
RULE BOOK!! I don't need no stinkin' rule book.

Mark, I am deeply disappointed with your response.

Any film-buff knows this line comes from the brilliant "Treasure of the Seirra Madre" and Mel Brooks was only borrowing it in his equally brilliant "Blazing Saddles". Further, the actual line is

Quote:

"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges!"
As penance I suggest 10 lashings with a wet noodle followed 30 minutes quiet meditation and prayer before your shrine to J Dallas Shirley. 100 pushups wouldn't hurt but they are optional.

Nate1224hoops Tue Jan 31, 2006 07:55am

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

Well, I don't see the Christian Bible as a rulebook, so I don't think your metaphor is apt.

But to answer the question, I usually refer to the rulebook at least once or twice a week, sometimes more, depending on situations that come up in my games, or that someone asks about.

My metaphor wasn't meant to offend anyone RAIN, but if it has I appologize. No where in my post did I refer to anything about the HOLY BIBLE (it's more than Christian). I simply used the term loosely to refer to the rule book--the guidelines an official needs to live by.

JCrow Tue Jan 31, 2006 08:10am

I think giving 5th Graders Rulebook Problems teaches an excellent lesson. When I coach or manage people, I always try to impress on them that the usefulness of knowledge is directly related to its specificity. General knowledge is frequently misinterpreted and mis-used.

For example, I'd wadger that 50% of the Coaches don't understand when a player lifts his pivot before releasing the ball on a dribble why "exactly" the Ref calls it a Travel. They think the player "took an extra step". This ignorance affects how well they can coach/teach.

The same principle applies to knowing Zoning Ordinances, Building Codes, ADA Regulations, Design Standards, etc. if you are in the Construction Industry.

It is a great lesson for young kids to know that there is usually a very specific "Source" for knowledge that is more accurate than hearing a useless generality from a Billy Packer.

Kajun Ref N Texas Tue Jan 31, 2006 08:23am

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

My metaphor wasn't meant to offend anyone RAIN, but if it has I appologize. No where in my post did I refer to anything about the HOLY BIBLE (it's more than Christian). I simply used the term loosely to refer to the rule book--the guidelines an official needs to live by.

No need to apologize. The Holy Bible is the ultimate rule book!

Rich Tue Jan 31, 2006 08:39am

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Exactly what classes do you teach to the 7th graders?

Nate1224hoops Tue Jan 31, 2006 08:49am

Quote:

Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Exactly what classes do you teach to the 7th graders?

I teach 7th grade Life Science in a small town in So.West VA.

ChuckElias Tue Jan 31, 2006 09:19am

Quote:

The word "Bible" is derived directly from the Greek word "biblion", which simply means book. Early Christians called their collection of letters and gospels "the book". Only much later was "Bible" used in an exclusive way.

Doesn't seem all that off-base to me.

Nate1224hoops Tue Jan 31, 2006 09:22am

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:

The word "Bible" is derived directly from the Greek word "biblion", which simply means book. Early Christians called their collection of letters and gospels "the book". Only much later was "Bible" used in an exclusive way.

Doesn't seem all that off-base to me.

Never knew that. You guys are better than the education system. I learn something new everyday. LOL. Thanks for the info Chuck.

tomegun Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:36am

Can someone direct me to a book that can give my partners a clue? Not all, but some of them!

ChuckElias Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:38am

One of those nights, Tom? Sorry. ;)

tomegun Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:43am

Actually it was easy for me since he was more than willing to call his area and my area too. I feel sorry for the teams whenever he called a foul that kept a team from scoring an easy basket. Oh, well. He was one of those guys that makes like $10,000 doing HS and rec so that is where his head is. It was a two man game so we just got it done. I guess he was trying to just get it right! :D

Dewey1 Wed Feb 01, 2006 04:51pm

I like the title to this tread, I had a situation a few weeks ago and a coach was saying something crazy to me, I won't claim to be able to say it exactly but somthing along the lines of "on a pick and role, the picker HAS to role to the basket!! If he roles to the wing it is illegal!!! It is IN THE RULE BOOK!!!!"

Anyways a timeout is called very shortly after the play and I go to get that coaches team from their hundle and say to him "coach I am not proud of this statement I am going to make BUT I have read the rule book more time then my Holy Bible and I can tell you with no uncertain terms that what you are talking about is not mentioned anywhere in the rule book."

He responds with "wellI think it used to be?" Too funny the whole thing.

Now back to your original question - I reference my rule book 3 to 4 times a week.