The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Cool

Had a one sided game other night. Team A's coach (that is down by 20+ in second half)getting on all three refs, wants a call her way. She thinks she is getting "homerd'". Partner gives a stop sign. Few minutes later I am the "C" in front of her. A 1 makes a 20' jump shot, short of rim, no foul, she comes unglued. "You gonna make a G*D D*mn Call tonight"? I oblige and give her the "T" . She dosen't settle down. About a minute later I "reach" and call a foul against "B".
No question it was a "strech", but she needed a call herway to keep game under control. Winning team B coach now on me for calling out of my area. Should I have let it go or made the game management call. Thanks for imput.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

You should have ejected her when she yelled, "You gonna make a G*D D*mn Call tonight?" Then, you wouldn't have had to make a call out of your area.

I'll never understand calls like this.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Depends on whether the call was the right one or not. What did your partner think of the call? I understand what you're trying to do, but don't make things up. This will only make you look bad to both coaches. Call the action and don't worry about an unreasonable coach.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Cool

There was contact. My partner was going to pass on it.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Sounds like maybe you should have passed as well. Don't let a coach talk you into a call just because they're frustrated. You'll only (as you found) cause yourself more trouble.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Thanks, your right, good advice!
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 10:29am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by wfd21
Had a one sided game other night. Team A's coach (that is down by 20+ in second half)getting on all three refs, wants a call her way. She thinks she is getting "homerd'". Partner gives a stop sign. Few minutes later I am the "C" in front of her. A 1 makes a 20' jump shot, short of rim, no foul, she comes unglued. "You gonna make a G*D D*mn Call tonight"? I oblige and give her the "T" . She dosen't settle down. About a minute later I "reach" and call a foul against "B".
No question it was a "strech", but she needed a call herway to keep game under control. Winning team B coach now on me for calling out of my area. Should I have let it go or made the game management call. Thanks for imput.
It's not a game management call. It's a make-up call and it's bull$h1t.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 10:42am
Huck Finn

Who told you this was a game management call? You took the easy way out. Your call should have been to eject her! Do you think what you did was good for that particular game and the game of basketball overall? I don't think so.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

I agree... Toss her. 1 T for using the lord's name in vain and the second for d*mn. "Coach, you don't have to go home but you got to get the heck up out of here!" LOL!
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 08:17pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

No need for two Ts here. One T is sufficient to toss when profanity is used like that, especially when it's the culmination of accumulated BS.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 11:49pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by ThickSkin
I agree... Toss her. 1 T for using the lord's name in vain and the second for d*mn. "Coach, you don't have to go home but you got to get the heck up out of here!" LOL!
Using the Lord's name in vain? Was this a parochial/religious school?
Old Tue Jan 31, 2006, 12:28am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by wfd21
No question it was a "strech", but she needed a call herway to keep game under control.
No she didn't. All she did was work you to get a call for her team. You were weak and obliged. Shame on you.

This is exactly why coaches yell at the officials. There is evidence that it works. In the future, be strong and don't reward her poor behavior.

Old Tue Jan 31, 2006, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Call the game....not the coach. When you "reached' for a call to "manage" a 20+ game, you got in deeper trouble. Call the game and be consistent; game management will usually fall right in line.
Old Tue Jan 31, 2006, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

You needed Game Administration to show her to the showers.
Old Tue Jan 31, 2006, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Interesting perspective here

It would never cross my mind to give the coach an ejection for this one statement. It's an easy T, but then I walk away and report, making any second T one that the whole gym sees.

It just doesn't strike me that an ejection here is the right call. I might rethink my stance.