The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 29, 2006, 12:22am
Official Forum Member

I was wondering what everyones opinion is on machine gunning technicals, (one after the other)!
Old Sun Jan 29, 2006, 12:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fonzzy07
HUuum I'm not really aware of this. normally when I give a T it calms things down. If it doesn't well as soon as I call it I move to the other side of the court. So I don't see how you'd need to "machine gun" it
Old Sun Jan 29, 2006, 12:29am
Official Forum Member

In general the most Ts you would have to "machine gun" in a situation is 2. I have never had a situation where I had to give 3 Ts one after another.

Also it is generally recommended that a different person give the second technical foul to send that person to the showers, so to speak.
Old Sun Jan 29, 2006, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
I've had 4 in a row (with a little play in between though, max 30 seconds)
I thought that was ok really, all were warranted (and I waas playing that game and my team didn't get any so )
Old Sun Jan 29, 2006, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Unfortunately, last year we had 5 in a row. Game tied with 7 secs left in OT.

1) A1 called for a delay warning for leaning across the line on a throw-in. He is not very happy and follows my partner to the table as he reports the warning. He mouths off and gets the first T.
2) Partner reports the T and the Team Assistant coach comes running off the bench onto the floor. Technical #2.
3) A1 continues to voice his displeasure (this is actually putting in mildly) and he gets his second T and a trip to the bench. (first three all called by my partner)
4) A2 (standing right next to me) decides to emit a string of profanities and earns one.
5) The assistant coach refuses to leave the playing area and return to the bench so he gets #5.

Observations I made from this:

A) My partner has over 20 years of experience and has done up to D1 games. He remained very calm during the entire ordeal and simply administered the rules. He also gave A1 and the assistant fair warning and a chance to calm down before administering. Believe it or not, the Ts were the last option and truly warranted.
B) Team B coach moved all of his players down to the end of his bench area so he could keep the situation from potentially getting worse.
C) Team A coach as nowhere to be seen during the entire ordeal. He was sitting at the far end of his bench and never once did he attempt to get his players or coach under control. It ended up being another player that finally took chanrge and got Team A under control.
D) As soon as the situation started the home managment (Team B was home) and police officers made their way across the floor and positioned themselves close to Team A's bench and fans. We did not ask for this, they were on top of it.
E) Most important lesson I learned (and it goes back up to A above is remain calm at all times. Do not be afraid to administer the rules correctly and call a T when necessary but keep calm and do it in a calm manner and it can help keep things under control. I had to remember this on Friday night with a very irate coach. I tried hard to remain calm as I administered the T and it seemed to work.

Anyway, Team A hits 8 of 10 free throws and wins by 8. We sent the report to the state office about the game and all I ever got back was "thanks for the info" from our district director. No one ever came back and questioned it.
Old Sun Jan 29, 2006, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by johnnyrao
Unfortunately, last year we had 5 in a row. Game tied with 7 secs left in OT.

[...]
Did you and your partner blow your whistle for each T called? Since I have never been in such a situation, I have always wondered if it was necessary or if it would help. This also applies for single T's (?) during dead ball.
Old Sun Jan 29, 2006, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

We did not blow our whistle for all 5 Ts. He did blow the whistle for the first one. After that I don't think we blew a whistle for any of the others since everything occurred right in front of the scorer's table. We never had a chance to move away from the table so we could get some distance. If the head coach was involved in calming his team down maybe we could have walked away and let him get it under control. Unfortunately he just sat there. By the way, we do three person mechanics so we had one more official that remained at a distance observing the other team and players.
Old Sun Jan 29, 2006, 06:01pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Red face

I mostly use a howitzer.