The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Md/Temple..First I've Seen (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/24585-md-temple-first-ive-seen.html)

tracker Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:41pm

Md player driving to basket in paint. 2 officials call 2 different fouls..1 charge, the other block. It took some time to figure out but it looked and sounded bad that the commentators destroyed the officials for not letting one over rule the other. Eventually ended up as a Double Personal Foul. Is it common for officials in the College ranks to stand behind a call even if it causes confusion like it did today?

JRutledge Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:56pm

If this was a NCAA Men's game, this was the proper call and the only thing to do. You cannot just pick when both officials have signaled two different things. The officials got it right and the commentators as usual do not know what they are talking about.

Peace

Snake~eyes Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:19am

Not the first time this has happened in college ball. Atleast the 4th time I've heard of this happening this year. I've seen it happen twice and heard about the other two.

bradfordwilkins Sun Jan 29, 2006 07:19pm

This is why I think it is important to blow the whistle and make eye contact with your partner before making a call. The officials in that game seemed a little over-the-top in the showmanship of their calls. Just an observation.

JRutledge Sun Jan 29, 2006 07:32pm

My take, not that it matters.

Quote:

Originally posted by bradfordwilkins
This is why I think it is important to blow the whistle and make eye contact with your partner before making a call. The officials in that game seemed a little over-the-top in the showmanship of their calls. Just an observation.
It still happens on at lesser games not because of the showmanship, because you do not hear or see your partner make the call or blow their whistle. I really think these calls happen not because an officials is really trying to sell the call quickly with no stop clock, it happen because the officials lose each other during the call. I think it is easy to say these cases happen because of a lot of factors and not just one factor.

Peace

tjones1 Sun Jan 29, 2006 07:40pm

Re: My take, not that it matters.

Quote:

Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:

Originally posted by bradfordwilkins
It still happens on at lesser games not because of the showmanship, because you do not hear or see your partner make the call or blow their whistle. I really think these calls happen not because an officials is really trying to sell the call quickly with no stop clock, it happen because the officials lose each other during the call. I think it is easy to say these cases happen because of a lot of factors and not just one factor.

Peace

I agree Rut. With a bang-bang play such as the block/charge call I would agree that trying to sell it is the reason for most of the mess ups.

And yes, I believe this is at least the 4th time I've heard of it this year at the DI level.