The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   disqualified player re-entering game (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/24580-disqualified-player-re-entering-game.html)

tjlref Sat Jan 28, 2006 05:31pm

Is there any provision in the rules that allows a player disqualifed because they committed 5 fouls re-entering the ball game.

I cannot find any and I had a coach tell me they could reenter but each foul that player commits from then on would be a technical foul.

help me put this one to rest.

Thanks

Texas Aggie Sat Jan 28, 2006 05:48pm

While I realize there are some definitions in the book that aren't intuitive (intentional foul comes to mind), the definition of DQed player is what it sounds like. He's barred from further participation. Look up rule 4, definitions.

If you didn't find it, you didn't look very hard. I'm sorry to say the coach was playing you for a fool. I realize that's harsh, but come on. What part of disqualified is unclear?

Kajun Ref N Texas Sat Jan 28, 2006 05:58pm

Quote:

Originally posted by tjlref
Is there any provision in the rules that allows a player disqualifed because they committed 5 fouls re-entering the ball game.

I cannot find any and I had a coach tell me they could reenter but each foul that player commits from then on would be a technical foul.

Thanks

4-14-1 A disqualified player is one who is barred from further participation in the game because of having committed his/her fifth foul (personal and technical), two technical fouls or a flagrant foul.

I think "barred from futher participation" means just that.

ChuckElias Sat Jan 28, 2006 06:48pm

tj,

The coach is just one of many who thinks his rule knowledge from watching NBA games applies to HS games. In the NBA, a team is required to have 5 on the floor, even if this means putting a player back in who has previously fouled out. There is no provision like this in HS ball (or NCAA).

tjlref Sat Jan 28, 2006 07:34pm

Thank you all.

enough said.

refnrev Sat Jan 28, 2006 07:39pm

Quote:

Originally posted by tjlref
I had a coach tell me they could reenter but each foul that player commits from then on would be a technical foul.

Thanks [/B]
----------------------------------------------------------

tj,
A player could get off the bench and reenter the game BUT IT IS ILLEGAL and he has to be sent right back off. Disqaulified is a pretty easy word to understand. The coach was right about one thing - as soon as he reenters it's a technical foul.

ChuckElias Sat Jan 28, 2006 08:18pm

Quote:

Originally posted by refnrev
A player could get off the bench and reenter the game BUT IT IS ILLEGAL and he has to be sent right back off. Disqaulified is a pretty easy word to understand. The coach was right about one thing - as soon as he reenters it's a technical foul.
And it's assessed directly to the coach, not the player (in HS).

refnrev Mon Jan 30, 2006 01:21pm

As well it should be. You've got to keep your bench under control.