The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I'm now talking to FIBA officials out there.

Since the beginning of the current season, Canada adopted the FIBA mechanics and signals, so this is the first year I use them. Some people in my local association told me that FIBA mechanics required the trail official to signal each and every valid basket to the table (which I think is completely useless). I tried in vain to find a reference in the rules and the referee's manual. Could someone tell me if signaling every valid field goal is required?
Old Thu Jan 26, 2006, 02:53am
Official Forum Member

If you do not signal the baskets (2 or 3 point), a basket after the foul, or cancelling the basket, why bother with any of the other signals?
Old Thu Jan 26, 2006, 05:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
signal it, all the time, erhm, I dunno the refrence but that's what I've been taught. If I have time I'll read through the manual and find the quote, but yeah you have to signal it

You don't do that in the US and Canada? :O
Old Thu Jan 26, 2006, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Of course, we always signal 3-points goals and baskets after fouls... I was talking about normal 2-point goals and free throws.

The point is that, I mean, the scorekeeper's got eyes too! He/She, like everyone else, actually see the ball enter the basket! But if the mechanics say so, I will signal each and every basket to the table. But do you simply extend an arm with two fingers or do you use the "flag from wrist" signal?

Thanks for the replies.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2006, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

I just asked the question on http://www.fibaamericas.com and here's what Fred Horgan, the FIBA rules interpreter, responded:

Although the FIBA Mechanics Manual does not require that the trail official give the "basket counts" signal on every shot for a goal, the reality is that whenever there is doubt on the part of scorerkeeper, player or fan, the person in doubt will look to the official to see if the goal counts. For that reason, it is a good habit to give the appropriate signal (basket counts; basket does not count) whenever the ball passes through or remains in the basket.

Hope that's useful to everyone!
Old Fri Jan 27, 2006, 01:14am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by QuebecRef87
I just asked the question on http://www.fibaamericas.com and here's what Fred Horgan, the FIBA rules interpreter, responded:

Although the FIBA Mechanics Manual does not require that the trail official give the "basket counts" signal on every shot for a goal, the reality is that whenever there is doubt on the part of scorerkeeper, player or fan, the person in doubt will look to the official to see if the goal counts. For that reason, it is a good habit to give the appropriate signal (basket counts; basket does not count) whenever the ball passes through or remains in the basket.

It's nice to see that FIBA is about 15 years behind the rest of the world. NFHS/NCAA stopped signaling made baskets (except for threes) about 1990, I think.
Old Fri Jan 27, 2006, 01:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I wouldn't get too worried about it....I've been to several camps, and nobody, repeat NOBODY has EVER mentioned anything about it - even back when we were still using FIBA for some levels.
Old Fri Jan 27, 2006, 09:11am
MABO Member

Quote:

Since the beginning of the current season, Canada adopted the FIBA mechanics and signals, so this is the first year I use them. Some people in my local association told me that FIBA mechanics required the trail official to signal each and every valid basket to the table (which I think is completely useless). I tried in vain to find a reference in the rules and the referee's manual. Could someone tell me if signaling every valid field goal is required?
Not everyone in Canada has adpoted FIBA yet, QR! Although I do see it happeningin the near future (rumor is next season) we are still using NCAA with modifications in MAnitoba. Is there any other sites as good as this one where they reference specifically FIBA rules?

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Fri Jan 27, 2006, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
Quote:
Of course, we always signal 3-points goals and baskets after fouls... I was talking about normal 2-point goals and free throws.

The point is that, I mean, the scorekeeper's got eyes too! He/She, like everyone else, actually see the ball enter the basket! But if the mechanics say so, I will signal each and every basket to the table. But do you simply extend an arm with two fingers or do you use the "flag from wrist" signal?

Thanks for the replies.
Depends on where I'm positioned, e.g on a turn over you sometimes never get further then the middle line, then I use the flag from wrist, otherwise I simply extend two or one finger though, always one finger extended on free throw, do what's easiest for the score keeper to see

Old Fri Jan 27, 2006, 06:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SmokeEater
Quote:

Not everyone in Canada has adpoted FIBA yet, QR! Although I do see it happeningin the near future (rumor is next season) we are still using NCAA with modifications in MAnitoba. Is there any other sites as good as this one where they reference specifically FIBA rules?
Thanks for the info. I didn't know that. The information I've had was that all Canada was turning to FIBA rules, mechanics and signals this season.

I don't know of other FIBA-related sites but the official ones. I haven't looked for some, though.
Old Fri Jan 27, 2006, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:

It's nice to see that FIBA is about 15 years behind the rest of the world. NFHS/NCAA stopped signaling made baskets (except for threes) about 1990, I think.
FWI:
The "rest of the world" is not the USA! Actually, the rest of the world is everything but the US, and therefore is represented by the FIBA...

But don't get me wrong, I don't wanna start any political conversation nor provoke anyone... Just to be sure...

Please also notice that signaling made baskets (except for threes, after foul and on-the-buzzer) is not an obligation, but apparently is suggested to avoid confusion in certain plays.