The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Starting again (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/24558-starting-again.html)

Bobby Oakes Fri Jan 27, 2006 03:41pm

Starting again

Starting again.

I haven't ref'd for a few years and have started back. I think I am doing an OK job as I shake off the rust, but my fellow refs think I'm bad. Now they don't say it to me and even say all is well, but that is not what my official supervisor is saying. I have been certified on the rules and due to job schedule have not been able to make the mechanic classes. I may have time to join an officials group, if that would be worth it. Has anyone else had these start up pains that I am experiencing or should I just hang it up? I really enjoy BB, the kids, and the excercise which is an all around win.

MatureRef

[Edited by Bobby Oakes on Jan 27th, 2006 at 03:55 PM]

ChrisSportsFan Fri Jan 27, 2006 04:11pm

Since originally starting, I've not stopped so I don't know about those start up pains. However, I know every spring that my lawnmower is hard to get started. Then once it starts it will spit, sputter and stumble. After a few minutes it seems to clear out the cobs and starts running like its old self. I'm not calling you a lawnmower but I'm sure you'll clear out the cobs.

kz10mp Fri Jan 27, 2006 04:15pm

If your desire is there to officiate then you need to get as many games as possible, preferably 7th,8th and 9th grade would be good for you to get your mechanics and positioning in order. Then get to some clinics or a camp to get some real time supervision from the more seasoned officials.
Good luck

Jerry Blum Fri Jan 27, 2006 04:16pm

I went through the same problem about 4+ years ago when I started back up. I had officiated for about 2 years with about a 2 year break in between. When I started I thought I was ready to go and just jump into it again and be ready to do bigger games that first year.

With the help of some officials in my association I was in I got better mechanics and experience and now feel that I am a pretty good official, but always learning and trying to work on something.

In your case keep working at it. Work as many games as you can and attempt to go to the mechanics clinics if possible. I have found that starting up if you have good mechanics it will help you move up and make other officials think more of you. You may know the rules and be able to make the right calls but the easiest thing to spot when being observed are the mechanics and positioning that you use. If those aren't solid people observing you aren't going to think much of your officiating or at least lean toward thinking that you aren't that good.

Hope that helps a little.

Texas Aggie Fri Jan 27, 2006 04:19pm

I'm getting back after a long interscholastic layoff (I've done a little bit of church league stuff here and there), but I didn't really have much rust in terms of the game itself, just a few rules and mechanics changes that I needed a little while to get up to speed on. One example is coaches calling timeouts. I've always trained myself to focus so intently on what's happening on the floor -- live or dead ball -- as well as tune out the coaches, that I have to learn to work on having an eye popped over there in certain situations. I think that will make me a better overall official. I've also lost a little bit of ampidexterity in making out of bounds calls, but last night, I got a little of that back.

I'd recommend just keep working hard and, like before, get games. You also might get a friend or spouse to video your games and see what it is others are seeing. Video is the best way to improve in my view, because we aren't always doing what we think we are doing.

Back In The Saddle Sat Jan 28, 2006 01:37am

I went through much of the same process. I used to do this years ago (badly, as it turns out ;)). Then I took it up again about four years ago. I've been to camps, clinics, and all that good stuff. But I haven't moved up as fast as I originally hoped I would. I got a lot of the same stuff. I'd ask better officials how I was doing, and would get the "you're doing great, keep it up!" line that doesn't help anybody. I could give you the whole long sob story and it'd probably all sound very familiar.

Since I've been back at this a little longer than you have, maybe I can shed some light on some things that are probably in your future:
  • If you keep working games, you'll improve
  • You'll make plenty of silly mistakes, and learn from them
  • You'll wade through coach pergutory, until you figure out how to handle them
  • You'll think you're better than you are (we ALL do)
  • Over time, your supervisor's story will begin to change
  • You'll have a lot of fun along the way

Keep at it!

refnrev Sat Jan 28, 2006 07:57pm

Bobby,
Does your state association offer clinics each year? We are required to go to one every three years or we're on probation. If they offer one, it would be a good idea to go to one. Also, go to as many games as you can and watch the mechanics of some officials who are good. I speak from painful experiences this year: a guy who's is out of position and in the wrong places all night makes things a royal pain all game long. You don't know where they are going to go and what they are going to do next. They also make both or all three of you look bad. Also, Referee magazine publishes some good manuals on both 2 an 3 man coverage. They are easy to read and understand. Good luck.