The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Get to baseline or stop and referee play (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/24538-get-baseline-stop-referee-play.html)

Raymond Fri Jan 27, 2006 08:39am

Hello folks, first time poster...5th season of officiating basketball...3rd season of Men's JuCo.

Straight to the point. You are the trail in the front court. Quick or unexpected turnover and balls heads the other direction for fast break and you are trailing the play. Do you:

1.) Bust your butt to the baseline and then ref the play?

2.) Stop near the free throw line extended and get the best angle to referee play as it goes to the basket?

Had a JuCo game after which the evaluator said I need to work on getting up the court. Now, I'm 6'5"/270lbs so I'm no Eric Lewis when it comes to speed, but I've always prided myself on hustling and getting in position to see plays. The evaluator didn't elaborate but there were 2 plays as described above where I chose to stop and ref the play, one of which I ended up calling a foul.

Spoke to two of my closest friends (one in her 2nd year as a D-1 womens official, the other in his 2nd year as a D-1 men's official).

Women's ref says she's starting to hear more talk now of getting to the baseline regardless of the situation and that the 'C' should be able to help until you get in position.

Men's ref said he believes in stopping when he has to to see the play.

Just canvassing for opinions on this situation. thanx.

SmokeEater Fri Jan 27, 2006 08:57am

I only have experience so far in 2 whistle games but if the play gets ahead of you (after all we can't all keep up with the younguns all the time) then getting the best angle on the play is prefered for me.

What you were told about the C picking up until your in position makes good sense as well. Unles the play is over by the time your down there.

mick Fri Jan 27, 2006 09:08am

Quote:

Originally posted by BadNewsRef
Do you:

1.) Bust your butt to the baseline and then ref the play?

2.) Stop near the free throw line extended and get the best angle to referee play as it goes to the basket?

BadNewsRef,
Welcome to the forum.

1.) You are still reffing the play while you are moving.

2.) No, don't stop. Continue closing down, but also continue finding your angle.

IMO
mick

ChuckElias Fri Jan 27, 2006 09:27am

I think it's going to depend on the play. If I can get to the endline in time to officiate the play, that's what I'm going to do. But if I can't, then it makes no sense to stay straight-lined (or "stacked") all the way to the endline, just so I can say I was there.

At camp over the last couple of summers, we've been told to pinch down a little as the Trail in the frontcourt and expect to get beat a couple times a game -- and that's ok. Personally, I hate to get beat, but it happens occasionally.

I will say that you probably should get beat a lot less frequently in a 3-whistle game than in a 2-whistle game. In my opinion, anyway.

Snake~eyes Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:38am

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
I think it's going to depend on the play. If I can get to the endline in time to officiate the play, that's what I'm going to do. But if I can't, then it makes no sense to stay straight-lined (or "stacked") all the way to the endline, just so I can say I was there.

At camp over the last couple of summers, we've been told to pinch down a little as the Trail in the frontcourt and expect to get beat a couple times a game -- and that's ok. Personally, I hate to get beat, but it happens occasionally.

I will say that you probably should get beat a lot less frequently in a 3-whistle game than in a 2-whistle game. In my opinion, anyway.

I agree with every bit of your post. Sometimes you just have to work "C" positioning to get the best angle.

JRutledge Fri Jan 27, 2006 01:22pm

One size is not going to fit all situations. I usually will run to the baseline because I can get there. I have been beat badly and had to stop at some point to get an angle. I did not do that to fit in a philosophy. I did that to get the best angle on the play that was developing.

Peace