The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Broken middle finger!!! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/24499-broken-middle-finger.html)

MichiganOfficial Wed Jan 25, 2006 01:57pm

Now let's be honest, who has hurt their finger giving the fast "T". Even if it was early in your career tell us the story.

ChrisSportsFan Wed Jan 25, 2006 02:39pm

Never broke a finger but early on I let a coach get me upset and I T'd him pretty hard. It still hurt the next day. I learned 3 things that day.....1. a T is just another call so I should remain calm. 2. if it get's me that upset, why did I wait so long? 3. Back away from a coach, I don't have to signal a T right in his face.

lmeadski Wed Jan 25, 2006 03:38pm

Never

because I've never been mad when I called one. I try not to let my emotions dictate calls. I expect coaches and players to be "emotional." Crossing the line and drawing a T, however, usually happens well before they have pushed enough of my buttons to make me mad. Have not had an ejection yet, so this could change.

Junker Wed Jan 25, 2006 03:46pm

I've never hurt my finger, but I have knocked myself nearly senseless (or maybe knocked some sense in) when I was calling a PC.

Back In The Saddle Wed Jan 25, 2006 05:15pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Junker
I've never hurt my finger, but I have knocked myself nearly senseless (or maybe knocked some sense in) when I was calling a PC.
Been there; done that; bought the tshirt :)

refnrev Wed Jan 25, 2006 05:51pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Junker
---------------------------------------------------------
Yep, done that one!

blindzebra Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:48pm

Dislocated and fractured my pinkie finger waving off a last second shot, almost a year now and I still can't make a closed fist with that hand.

Snake~eyes Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:57am

Quote:

Originally posted by blindzebra
Dislocated and fractured my pinkie finger waving off a last second shot, almost a year now and I still can't make a closed fist with that hand.
Did you hit your finger on the rim as you ran in jumping up and down to wave off the shot? :D

crazy voyager Thu Jan 26, 2006 06:06am

I've been close to knocking a player once calling an offensive, the FIBA sign for offensive foul is a straight forward fist (like your lane violation) so you can imagine if you're selling one of those you've got to make sure nobody's close :p

But nothing on T's, I was a bit shaky after calling my first one though but I calmed down

rainmaker Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:50am

When I was very young, I lost the tip of the middle finger of my right hand in a tussle with a folding chair. Now the nail sticks up over the end of my finger. The first T I ever gave, I whanged it so hard that the tip of my middle finger broke the skin in the palm of my left hand. Ouch!

ChuckElias Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:52am

One of the few mechanics that I intentionally get wrong is my Technical foul signal. I use the "oh so dainty" two-fingered version. I use only my 2 index fingers to form the T. I find that this keeps me calmer, actually looks calmer, and if I ever do get over-excited, it's hard to hurt myself doing it.

Junker Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:54am

Quote:

Originally posted by crazy voyager

But nothing on T's, I was a bit shaky after calling my first one though but I calmed down

This does get better with time. I noticed the other night, I had to give a player a T and my heart rate seemed to stay the same. It used to be I could feel it beat a little faster. I guess experience is paying off.

Ron Pilo Thu Jan 26, 2006 01:57pm

True Story

Had a fellow official BREAK the middle finger giving a T. We still give them grief about it........It is famous

HE HE!

26 Year Gap Thu Jan 26, 2006 09:08pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Ron Pilo
True Story

Had a fellow official BREAK the middle finger giving a T. We still give them grief about it........It is famous

HE HE!

Hope he didn't bandage it or use a splint during healing time....