The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

Last night before my JV game we were talking to one of the varsity officials who came early. We saw the varsity coach for the home team take a seat on the bench. Varsity game official makes the comment that the coach is a big a...well you know...and that he usually gives officials a hard time.

Game starts and he is yapping about everything...just loud enough for you to hear as you pass by. Right after the start of the second quarter, the home team guard bowls over a defender on a drive...easy PC call. Home team doesn't like it much, but that's OK. Visiting team request, and is granted, a time out by my partner (already down 12). I take my position on the floor and look up to see the varsity coach slowly walking toward me, standing very erect...almost a slow strut. As he reaches me I say "Coach, in this game you are just an assistant. One word and you get a T." He starts to open his mouth, but I grab my whistle and say "I mean it coach, you know the rules. Go back to your bench." He gives me an odd look, slouches a little and walks back to his bench.

At halftime the official wanted to know what I said. I relayed the incident and he offered to buy me a drink for putting the guy in his place.

I know it wasn't the best way to handle it...probably should have walked over to him or given him a sign that we had nothing to discuss. Probably a good thing this coach is retiring. But you know...he didn't make a sound the rest of the game.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 06:08pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

It worked.

Good job, Larry.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryS
I relayed the incident and he offered to buy me a drink for putting the guy in his place.
You had a Varsity official offer to buy you a refreshment and you didn't take him up on it?

From what I gather...a lot of big business deals are done over drinks and/or a dinner. Why not take the dude up on it? If you don't what an alcholic drink, have a soda pop.

Like it or not...in some associations, these are some of the "politics" that take place. IMO...go ahead and rub elbows with the other officials after the game...you can learn alot just sitting around and listening. Heck, you might want to even participate in the discussions. Show the good ol' boys what ya got...show the good ol' boys that you're interested enough to hang around and "learn" by watching their game and "learn" by listening/participating in the basketball talk after the game.
Richland, WA
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by LarryS
I know it wasn't the best way to handle it...probably should have walked over to him or given him a sign that we had nothing to discuss.
No, you handled it perfectly.

Nice job!