The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Question

My partner last night gave me this scenario which he had earlier in the week.

A1 is just over the division line and has established himself in the front court. A1 is trapped by B1 and B2. A1 throws the ball off of B1 and steps back into the back court where he now has player location. The ball returns to A1 without ever touching the floor. While in the air the ball has front court location.

When A1 catches the ball is it a violation?

My interpretation: Once B1 touches the ball anyone can recover in the back court. The fact that the ball is in the air has nothing to do with this situation.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by JB

A1 is just over the division line and has established himself in the front court. A1 is trapped by B1 and B2. A1 throws the ball off of B1 and steps back into the back court where he now has player location. The ball returns to A1 without ever touching the floor. While in the air the ball has front court location.

My interpretation: Once B1 touches the ball anyone can recover in the back court. The fact that the ball is in the air has nothing to do with this situation.
Great question. If it were an oob play, it would be a turn-over, right? I suspect it's the same here, but I"m not committing myself. just trying to be first response.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JB

Your interpretation is correct. One thing to keep in mind though is that if A1 throws the ball off of B1, then it hits A1 in the leg before rolling into the backcourt, and then A1 is the first to touch it in the backcourt, it's a violation.

Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by JB

Great question. If it were an oob play, it would be a turn-over, right? I suspect it's the same here, but I"m not committing myself. just trying to be first response.
Why would this be a violation on an OOB play? I'm trying to imagine your scenario happening Juulie, and just don't see a violation here either.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Whistles & Stripes
Why would this be a violation on an OOB play? I'm trying to imagine your scenario happening Juulie, and just don't see a violation here either.
A1 is OOB. Passes the ball inbounds where it hits B1 and rebounds directly to A1 who is still OOB. Violation on A1.

Replace "OOB" with "in the backcourt" and it's NOT a violation.