The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Let me know if you've ever heard this one before...I've reffed for close to ten years and I have coached HS for almost 5 and I've never seen this before.

Last night in my JV game the opposing team had just scored and we grab the ball and get into our fast break off a made hoop. Whistle blows and the ref beckons a sub onto the court. I was looking down court so I didn't see what happened but I thought he had some kind of violation, so I asked him, "what's the call?" He answered "substitution." I was shocked and I said you can't stop the clock for a sub and his answer was "it's a dead ball, coach." At this point I didn't want to discuss the fact that it was a "dead ball" but he still couldn't stop the clock so I let it go. Didn't happen again so I assume someone told him he was wrong but Wow!!!!!!!
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Was the made basket a freethrow?
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stosh
Was the made basket a freethrow?
Evidently not, since he stated that the clock was running!

Subs are only allowed when the clock is stopped and the ball is dead.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

That would make sense wouldn't it? But alas it was not a free throw. It was during play it was a field goal and the clock was running. Like I said in the OP he stopped the clock for the sub!
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

too slow...you're quick Nevada!
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

I just had another thought. That is always dangerous.

Since this was a jv contest perhaps the official was just being nice and getting some bench warmer into the game.

We have had this discussion on here before. If the game isn't close and you are in the last few minutes with scrubs at the table, many people are willing to just stop the game after a made basket and allow the subs to enter so that they get more court time. These players don't get very much game time anyway.

Perhaps you can tell us if that was the case?
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

I did that in a G JV game. 1:30 left, Team A up 35 points. Players from both teams waiting for :30 at the table. After a made basket by A, i blew my whistle, said my time and knelt down to retie my shoe. Then with the clock stopped, let the kids into the game. Both coaches thanked me.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I had a girls Varsity game last night. At one point in the first half, one of the girls was just dog tired. She went by the bench, and could barely say "Coach, I need somebody" (a sub, obviously). Well, there was no whistle for about a minute and a half, and the ball went back and forth 5 or 6 times. Every time, the poor kid looked desparately at the bench. There was a sub at the table, but no stoppage of play. I felt bad for her, but them's the breaks. Finally had a foul and she dragged herself off the court.

In a lower level game, maybe I could've found a wet spot on the floor, but not in the Varsity game.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
I had a girls Varsity game last night. At one point in the first half, one of the girls was just dog tired. She went by the bench, and could barely say "Coach, I need somebody" (a sub, obviously). Well, there was no whistle for about a minute and a half, and the ball went back and forth 5 or 6 times. Every time, the poor kid looked desparately at the bench. There was a sub at the table, but no stoppage of play. I felt bad for her, but them's the breaks. Finally had a foul and she dragged herself off the court.

In a lower level game, maybe I could've found a wet spot on the floor, but not in the Varsity game.
Don't they have time outs in the great state of Massachusetts?
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
It's the great Commonwealth, thank you very much. And yes, we have TO's. 5 fulls, no 30's. The coach didn't see fit to burn one, apparently. I was expecting one, but no request was made -- by coach or player. :shrug:
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
It's the great Commonwealth, thank you very much. And yes, we have TO's. 5 fulls, no 30's. The coach didn't see fit to burn one, apparently. I was expecting one, but no request was made -- by coach or player. :shrug:
Oh right, I forgot, although it does fit my experience with the residents of MA: while rather common they possess very little wealth.

Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

By coincidence this game was in the Commonwealth as well.

To answer earlier question though...There was still over 12 min. left in the first half (16 min. 1/2's in MA) and it was the first substitution of the game. Thought I was in for a long night at that point (I was right).
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by biz
Let me know if you've ever heard this one before...I've reffed for close to ten years and I have coached HS for almost 5 and I've never seen this before.

Last night in my JV game the opposing team had just scored and we grab the ball and get into our fast break off a made hoop. Whistle blows and the ref beckons a sub onto the court. I was looking down court so I didn't see what happened but I thought he had some kind of violation, so I asked him, "what's the call?" He answered "substitution." I was shocked and I said you can't stop the clock for a sub and his answer was "it's a dead ball, coach." At this point I didn't want to discuss the fact that it was a "dead ball" but he still couldn't stop the clock so I let it go. Didn't happen again so I assume someone told him he was wrong but Wow!!!!!!!
It is things like this that a fan sees one time and thinks it is right... almost like "over the back" Some ref somewhere reported a foul on "55 White over the back" and now all of a sudden it is a rule! What a shame!
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
I just had another thought. That is always dangerous.

Since this was a jv contest perhaps the official was just being nice and getting some bench warmer into the game.

We have had this discussion on here before. If the game isn't close and you are in the last few minutes with scrubs at the table, many people are willing to just stop the game after a made basket and allow the subs to enter so that they get more court time. These players don't get very much game time anyway.

Perhaps you can tell us if that was the case?
We do this in our area but only for Jr high games.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
What exactly is the difference between a Commonwealth and a State?