The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   delay by defense on free throw (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/24466-delay-defense-free-throw.html)

todd66 Tue Jan 24, 2006 04:10pm

Two shot foul and the defensive team did not come to fill the bottom blocks on the first shot. They were huddling at the sideline with their coach. The administering official called for the defensive team to fill their spots. They did not respond and the official bounced the ball to the shooter, he shot and then the "C" official whistled a technical. Is this correct or should there have been a warning recorded in the book first.

JugglingReferee Tue Jan 24, 2006 05:21pm

My understanding is that you do not let the FTs to proceed until the defense has filled the bottom two spots.

If they do not comply, instruct them to fill the spots. If they delay, issue a technical foul.

todd66 Tue Jan 24, 2006 05:26pm

This is not subject to the warnings noted in the scorebook, correct?

JugglingReferee Tue Jan 24, 2006 05:59pm

Correct.

The warnings recorded in the book are:

<li>scoring team interferring with the ball after a made or awarded basket</li>
<li>the defense breaking the boundary plane during a throw-in</li>
<li>I forget the third, but I am 99.9% certain it has nothing to do with your sitch</li>

Edit: add bullets

[Edited by JugglingReferee on Jan 24th, 2006 at 06:01 PM]

Jurassic Referee Tue Jan 24, 2006 07:20pm

Quote:

Originally posted by JugglingReferee
My understanding is that you do not let the FTs to proceed until the defense has filled the bottom two spots.

If they do not comply, instruct them to fill the spots. If they delay, issue a technical foul.

Also known as case book play 10.1.5SitC(b).......

26 Year Gap Tue Jan 24, 2006 07:34pm

Quote:

Originally posted by JugglingReferee
Correct.

The warnings recorded in the book are:

<li>scoring team interferring with the ball after a made or awarded basket</li>
<li>the defense breaking the boundary plane during a throw-in</li>
<li>I forget the third, but I am 99.9% certain it has nothing to do with your sitch</li>

Edit: add bullets

[Edited by JugglingReferee on Jan 24th, 2006 at 06:01 PM]

Huddling which delays a FT, but normally it is the offense that has the problem, usually between Fs.

bob jenkins Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:08am

In NCAA, it's just a FT violation if the bottom two spots are not filled.

[Edited by bob jenkins on Jan 25th, 2006 at 01:28 PM]

todd66 Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:22am

Thanks. Afterwards we thought we should have never shot that first free throw and now we know.

crazy voyager Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:56am

or in FIBA you just shoot and let 'em give up their rebounding spots, I see in many games that when the other shoot FT's the other team can have a little mini TO at the 3 point arc (with the 5 players on court) then they go and fill the spots for the 2nd throw, sometimes somebody's late, to bad for them