The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 12:19am
Official Forum Member

Talking

8th grade conference tournament championship progression games tonight. Girls game ended with 2 point margin and boys with 3. Small schools with mouthy fans and Bobby Knight knockoffs for coaches. Gym was a blender all night. Atmosphere was great! I had a blast! You gotta love this:
Near the end of girls game. 12 seconds or so left. Home is down by 2. I'm administering the free throws. H21 takes the first of a 1 & 1. Misses the goal but my partner doesn't realize that. I blow it dead. H coach calls TO. As I'm standing there he says, "Just for future reference, I'm a ref, too, and that is not your call." Instead of replying, "Just for future reference, you are a coach right now so you coach and I'll call the game!" I just smile and ask full or 30 coach?"
With 4 seconds left V13 hacks H20 on the shot. I stay with shooter so I don't see a hard foul a long way from the ball. I don't know what my partner was watching but he didn't see it either. V 00 goes down hurt. She's attended to and leaves the game. We get ready to shoot. Our friend the "ref coach" asks, "22's the shooter, right?" He knows full well that 20 is the shooter but wants to send 22, his best shooter, illegally to the line. I point to 20 and say, "20, you're the shooter." H 20 misses first shot. V calls TO. Second shot is missed intentionally and knocked out of bounds to V with 2 seconds left. V 15 inbounds ball to teammate. Dribble hits my foot which I thought was on the line. I blow the whistle then see where my foot actually was. I signify inadvertent whistle and give V the ball as they clearly had possesion. 1 second left. V 15 throws long inbounds pass that's finally touched by a teamate and the clock runs out. H Coach runs out and says that the girl who inbounded the ball was first to touch it -- as if this girl ran 65 feet in a second. He also argues that clock can't start because the inbounder was first to touch it. (Funny how the girl who threw it in was #15 and the first to touch it was #21.)
1. She wasn't.
2. She didn't.
3. Even if she had been the first and the clock started incorrectly there was only 1 second left. You can't put 1 second back up.
I signal end of game.

Lets see, our ref/coach friend trys to cheat 3 different times --
1. Trying to play a missed free throw that hits nothing but glass.
2. Trying to sneak an illegal shooter to the line, and
3. Lying about the inbounder touching the ball first. Don't you hope you get to officiate with this guy some night?

[Edited by refnrev on Jan 24th, 2006 at 12:27 AM]
Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 01:06am
Official Forum Member

And all this at an 8th grade game - sets a wonderful example of honesty,fair play and good sportsmanship for the kids!
Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 01:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dave30
Par for the course! All that's missing is the blue haired old ladies running the clock and changing the possession arrow to the home team hoping you won't catch it !
Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by refnrev
3. Even if she had been the first and the clock started incorrectly there was only 1 second left. You can't put 1 second back up.
Lag time rules refer to timer mistakes when the clock fails to stop properly. If the clock never should've started, you can put up whatever should be there.

Man, I hate lag time rules.
Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
V 15 inbounds ball to teammate. Dribble hits my foot which I thought was on the line. I blow the whistle then see where my foot actually was. I signify inadvertent whistle and give V the ball as they clearly had possesion. 1 second left.
If a dribble hits your foot, you're probably too close to the play.
Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
V 15 inbounds ball to teammate. Dribble hits my foot which I thought was on the line. I blow the whistle then see where my foot actually was. I signify inadvertent whistle and give V the ball as they clearly had possesion. 1 second left.
That's kinda gross, I hope they wiped it up.
Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
Quote:
Quote:
That's kinda gross, I hope they wiped it up.
This is the beauty of patent leather, dribbles enhance the shine and luster.
Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
__________________________________________________ _________

I was out of bounds on the side to inbound the ball and was about 6 feet away. She threw the ball to a girl who ran right in front of me just as I stepped in.