The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. -- Houston coach Tom Penders collapsed on the sideline late in the first half of the Cougars' 82-79 loss to UAB on Saturday night.

Penders, 60, was carried off the floor on a stretcher and given oxygen, but he returned to coach in the second half. He later attributed his fall to a heart condition and said he felt fine after taking the oxygen.

Penders fell to his knees as UAB's Wen Mukubu drove to the basket and drew a foul with 52 seconds left in the half and UAB leading 46-44. Officials called a technical foul on Penders, apparently thinking he was reacting to the foul call. But the game stopped and the crowd hushed when Penders didn't get up.

The coach said he had no idea until later that he was called for a technical foul. The technical was not rescinded.
Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

This is also in the other thread titled "Technical?"

C-USA has stated that the officials used poor judgment in this matter. While I have seen no video of the incident, I have to agree with the conference on this one. Once they saw Penders carried off in a stretcher with oxygen, I think it would be safe to say it would be alright to pass on the foul.

Common sense fellas...
Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

I think I saw on ESPN that the officials were suspended. It flashed by quickly on the bottom of the screen so I canot be sure. Can anyone confirm this? Also, if anyone saw it or has info I would like to know why they did not change the call once they realized what had happened. I know by rule you can't but did they try?
Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 08:25pm
In Memoriam

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2303510