The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Friday night watering holes (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/24363-friday-night-watering-holes.html)

stewcall Fri Jan 20, 2006 01:32pm

After reading a post about assignments, I saw a statement about the "friday night watering hole"
This got me thinking---(dangerous I know). Here in central VA we have an unofficial gathering place on friday nights. I've never attended it. Guess I was wondering do other associations have the " friday night watering hole".
I figured this got started long ago with officials in our association. Of course most who attend get the top games---but they have been at it and deserve the assignments they get.
Hard work gets you noticed--- not being part of the "good old boy (gal) system
Stew in VA
CVBOA

Nate1224hoops Fri Jan 20, 2006 01:34pm

Quote:

Originally posted by stewcall
After reading a post about assignments, I saw a statement about the "friday night watering hole"
This got me thinking---(dangerous I know). Here in central VA we have an unofficial gathering place on friday nights. I've never attended it. Guess I was wondering do other associations have the " friday night watering hole".
I figured this got started long ago with officials in our association. Of course most who attend get the top games---but they have been at it and deserve the assignments they get.
Stew in VA
CVBOA

Where in central Virginia you from?? I am from Southwest Va. (Bristol) and we don't have a watering hole or at least one that I know about!!

stewcall Fri Jan 20, 2006 01:42pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Nate1224hoops
Quote:

Stew in VA
CVBOA

Where in central Virginia you from?? I am from Southwest Va. (Bristol) and we don't have a watering hole or at least one that I know about!!

Richmond, VA

IREFU2 Fri Jan 20, 2006 02:02pm

Quote:

Quote:

Originally posted by Nate1224hoops
Quote:

Stew in VA
CVBOA

Richmond, VA

We have an unofficial watering hole, I have been asked to join on a couple of occasions, but was too tired after the games. A friend of mine is openning a Sports Bar and I am sure that will be the official watering hole from certain Zebras!

rainmaker Fri Jan 20, 2006 02:11pm

Quote:

Here in central VA we have an unofficial gathering place on friday nights...
Would that be for the "un-officials"?

Nevadaref Sat Jan 21, 2006 04:33am

lots of fun

We certainly have one. It is fun to get together with your friends after the games and watch the highlights on the nightly news. We all get to laugh at each other. :)

JugglingReferee Sat Jan 21, 2006 06:09am

The after-game watering holes can be very helpful!

In my area, there is not much activity in the basketball community for after game drinks (except for the county, regional finals, etc...), but for football, it is a priority. As a result, our chapter has made incredible strides over the past 4 years!

Basically, these watering hole meetings can often be some of the best learning venues around! Officials talking about officiating.

Red_Killian Sat Jan 21, 2006 04:36pm

We get together after Friday night games and catch the local sports. Hope you don't make a mistake on camera or it will take awhile to live down. Just like others said, it is always good when officials get together to talk about officiating. It's also a good way to meet others you may not normally work with and ge tto know each off the court. Part of the fun of officiating is the comraderie.

dblref Sat Jan 21, 2006 05:05pm

Nate/Stew

Maybe it's a VA thing.:D I'm in northern VA and we have an "official" official's drinking hole. I generally won't go because at the end of the day (I get up at 4:30 am) after work and officiating, I'm ready for bed.

dblref Sat Jan 21, 2006 05:06pm

Nate/Stew

Maybe it's a VA thing.:D I'm in northern VA and we have an "official" official's drinking hole. I generally won't go because at the end of the day (I get up at 4:30 am) after work and officiating, I'm ready to go home and see my lovely wife -- I'm still on my honeymoon.

Nevadaref Sun Jan 22, 2006 03:33am

I imagine that it's tough for him to be bipolar! :)