The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 20, 2006, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Hello,

In my first year as an official. The instructors at the clinics I've attended have always stressed the importance of a pregame. While I have made every attempt that I know how, all of them just say the same thing. "Cover your area and keep eye contact." I seek feedback and clearly let them know that I'm new. But, it's as if they don't want to bother with a pregame.

What's up with that?

DAC

Old Fri Jan 20, 2006, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Unfortunately, some vets don't do a pregame for lower level games. I see no problem with you telling them that you are new AND that you'd like to lead you through a thorough pregame. If they still won't do it, just let it go. You'll eventually find a solid veteran who will happily go through one with you.

Z
Old Fri Jan 20, 2006, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Don't ask, "You want to do a pre-game?" Instead ask, "If we have a double whistle on a drive to the basket, how do you want to handle it?" The second question requires a basketball-related answer; it's not just yes or no answer. Other possible ice-breakers:
  • "How do you want to handle a drive from the T's sideline?"
  • "How do you want to handle a last-shot when the Trail has to administer the throw-in from the backcourt?"
  • "Do you warn post players, or whistle right away?"
  • "If I miss an OOB call, are you going to come to me or just blow the whistle and signal?"
  • "If there's a high trap and the ball goes out on the L's sideline, should I whistle and look to you for help, or will you just blow that line?"
Some guys will never do a pre-game, but maybe those will help get things started next time.
Old Fri Jan 20, 2006, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Agree

I worked with a guy last week and we worked together before and know each other very well. But we usually have about a 20 minute pregame. We both got to the school early and pregamed while we got dressed. A good pregame is 2 way or 3 way communication.
Old Fri Jan 20, 2006, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Chuck's idea is a good one. Ask specific basketball-related questions. And then don't get "drawn offsides." Beyond that, I think finding refs who are willing to work with you, and then getting assigned with those refs, is going to be your best bet.