The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 20, 2006, 02:06am
Official Forum Member

How would you explain the primary coverage areas and duties of the lead vs. the trail?
Old Fri Jan 20, 2006, 02:57am
Official Forum Member

Are you interesting in the 2-person or the 3-person system?
Old Fri Jan 20, 2006, 03:03am
Official Forum Member

Sounds like two person since he didn't mention the C, atleast I hope so because I hope I don't post this for nothing.

L has the paint, and his side of the court below the free throw line. T has everything else (including the backcourt).

Duties? Not sure what you mean there.

For OOB, L has the baseline and his sideline. T has his sideline, division line and farthest endline.

Basically the T will take any goaltending or BI calls. T usually will have most rebounding fouls but that doesn't mean the L can't get it.

If the ball is in your partners primary then you have offball action and vice-versa.

Anything else?
Old Fri Jan 20, 2006, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks! (And yes, I mean 2-person mechanics.) This is very helpful.

Does L move to ballside along the baseline when the ball is passed?

Is it considered bad form to call something in the other official's "area?"
Old Fri Jan 20, 2006, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

L may go ball side when there is a reason to do it, like the ball is on that side and the majority of the players are too or the ball is on that side and post players move to that side.

It should not be done if the ball is being passed around the top and a team is shooting a lot of jumpers from the outside. You will just be yo-yoing back and forth and Murphy's law kicks in and you have a long rebound or a skip pass toward your uncovered side line.

There are primaries and then you have secondary areas where boundaries meet, so no it is not uncommon for an official to have a call outside their primary...especially from trail.

Those type of calls happen when a play starts in one officials primary and ends in the others. There are also times when the play is going away from lead and defensive help comes from the backside and there is little chance of the lead seeing the contact or violation. In those cases a patient whistle is required and trail needs to close in and give the call a little extra.