The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 18, 2006, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

I did a junior high game triple header, where on school dominated all 3 contests. The last was the worst beating of all. The home team is up by 28-2 in 2nd quarter and still pressing.
The away coach starts chewing on him about still being in the full court press. He mouth's something back. I cannot hear exactly what they are saying. I am still officiating but I do not hear any profanity.
I have stopped AAU contests already and warned or tossed coaches but I was unsure if I should get involved. I let it go and it ended after several heated exchanges. May have only lasted a minute.
Do you give a warning? Tell them to coach their kids? Or just stay out of it until you have a technical offense?
Old Wed Jan 18, 2006, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

Give them both a T so they have to stay put on the bench and can't talk to each other. They should be modeling sportsmanship to their young players and they were doing a poor job of it.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2006, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref

Why would you stop them?

Let them beat each other bloody & senseless.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2006, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Great idea Dan! Possibly 2 JH loudmouth coaches in the hospital, unable to coach or yell at officials. BRILLIANT!
Old Wed Jan 18, 2006, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

Tell them to knock it off, set a bettter example for their childre and then T away.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2006, 11:20pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally posted by johnyd
I did a junior high game triple header, where on school dominated all 3 contests. The last was the worst beating of all. The home team is up by 28-2 in 2nd quarter and still pressing.
The away coach starts chewing on him about still being in the full court press. He mouth's something back. I cannot hear exactly what they are saying. I am still officiating but I do not hear any profanity.
I have stopped AAU contests already and warned or tossed coaches but I was unsure if I should get involved. I let it go and it ended after several heated exchanges. May have only lasted a minute.
Do you give a warning? Tell them to coach their kids? Or just stay out of it until you have a technical offense?
Why are they still pressing? Most Junior High leagues have a no-press rule after a certain margin (15 in our local Middle School league).

But we had a similar situation near the end of our season this fall. Our league also has a man-to-man* defense rule.

During an out of bounds play, we had the girl who's player was taking the ball out underneath stand under the basket (we do that until the inbounder comes in) and all of a sudden the other team's coach is yelling at our coach he can't play a zone defense. The two coaches went back and forth some before our coach finally said "You know what, go coach your team and let refs enforce the rules." Their coach wasn't too happy and said something to refs, but thats all that happened.
--
* no offense intended to our female membership here

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Thu Jan 19, 2006, 12:55am
M.A.S.H.

Usually if it's that bad of a beating I find something on the press to call. Hopefully the coach gets the idea and quits pressing. As far as the coaches, I would whack them both.
Old Thu Jan 19, 2006, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

If the arguing got to a point where it was loud enough for you to hear, then it was too loud. In my opinion, and this is just my opinion, I would have stopped the game, called both coaches over, explained that we were to be examples for the kids. I would then explain that if they continue then they are giving me no choice but to take action. After that you must stay to your word. If they continue, T and then ejection if warranted.
Old Thu Jan 19, 2006, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

I see the paradox forming here.

If one coach is yelling to the other to stop pressing and labling that behavior as unsportsman-like, threatening that coach with an unsportsmanship T will set him off and likly continue the debate.

Suggestion: Warn the coach's specifically about the unsportsman behavior going on between them - void of the subject they are arguing about.

Take control of the situation by focuing control on the action - not the cause.

Ou state does not apply a Mercy Rule.