The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Occupied Lane Spaces (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/24321-occupied-lane-spaces.html)

gostars Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:11pm

Had this happen last night...

Team A is shooting two free throws. Coach B pulls all his players off the lane to talk to them. I tell the coach he needs to have players in the bottom two spaces before we shoot the first. He doesn't agree (the other coach chimes in that there is no such rule) but sends the player back to there spaces after a little complaining. At the time I was 110% sure I was right but I can't seem to find the rule to back me up. Was I right?

truerookie Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:18pm

Quote:

Originally posted by gostars

Team A is shooting two free throws. Coach B pulls all his players off the lane to talk to them. I tell the coach he needs to have players in the bottom two spaces before we shoot the first. He doesn't agree (the other coach chimes in that there is no such rule) but sends the player back to there spaces after a little complaining. At the time I was 110% sure I was right but I can't seem to find the rule to back me up. Was I right?

Yes.. IAW Rule 8-1-4b The first marked lane spaces(the lane spaces adjacent to the end line) shall be occupied by opponents of the free thrower.

fonzzy07 Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:29pm

Put those players in those spaces.

Nevadaref Thu Jan 19, 2006 01:43am

Quote:

10.1.5 SITUATION C: The calling official has reported the foul and proceeds to his/her proper position for the first of two free throws awarded to A1. B1 and B2 are: (a) huddling in the lane; or (b) two B players are not occupying the first two marked spaces next to the end line as required. RULING: In (a), if the huddle delays the officials' administration, Team B is warned. The warning is recorded by the scorer and reported to the head coach. If Team B had been previously warned for free-throw delay, a technical foul shall be charged. In (b), Team B will be directed to occupy the required spaces. If there is delay, a technical foul shall be charged to Team B. (4-47)

lookin2improve Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:18pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:

10.1.5 SITUATION C: The calling official has reported the foul and proceeds to his/her proper position for the first of two free throws awarded to A1. B1 and B2 are: (a) huddling in the lane; or (b) two B players are not occupying the first two marked spaces next to the end line as required. RULING: In (a), if the huddle delays the officials' administration, Team B is warned. The warning is recorded by the scorer and reported to the head coach. If Team B had been previously warned for free-throw delay, a technical foul shall be charged. In (b), Team B will be directed to occupy the required spaces. If there is delay, a technical foul shall be charged to Team B. (4-47)

Whom does the technical foul go against in the books? Cannot be B1 and B2...I wouldn't think it would go indirectly to the coach either..??

Nevadaref Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:02am

This is a TEAM technical foul. In NFHS that counts in the team foul count towards the bonus, but it is not charged directly to any player, team member, or indirectly to the head coach.