The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 20, 2006, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Question

I was told by an evaluator that I need to work on getting Referee status in the crew now. Has anyone else been given such a challenge? Tips, sugggestions and/or comments welcomed!
Old Fri Jan 20, 2006, 11:12am
Do not give a damn!!

He might be talking about taking a more lead role as an official. I have heard by many high level officials that evaluators at their level are looking for 3 Referees, not 3 Umpires. Basically they want 3 officials they could put anywhere and not worry about what any of them are going to do. I have not personally been challenged like that by an assignor, but I have been told that I was a Referee type at the HS level. Now the college level that is a different story, but I have heard of the concept. Maybe that is what he is trying to get across and if that challenge was made I would take the challenge. If the assignor did not see something in you as an official they might not have made the challenge.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 20, 2006, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Here's my view on what it means to be "an R". Preside over a solid pre-game that all three officials participate in. Deal professionally with both coaches when something needs to be explained. Bring the crew together to communicate when things get tight. Be willing to kick a partner in the rear if s/he needs it. Show support for a partner who is under fire.

That's a starter list. I'm sure others have better ideas.
Old Fri Jan 20, 2006, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Here's my view on what it means to be "an R". Preside over a solid pre-game that all three officials participate in. Deal professionally with both coaches when something needs to be explained. Bring the crew together to communicate when things get tight. Be willing to kick a partner in the rear if s/he needs it. Show support for a partner who is under fire.

Good list Chuck. Making the other two officials feel like they are a competent part of your team is key. If the R makes the U1 and U2 feel like "foot soldiers in his army," that is not creating a good atmosphere.

Z
Old Fri Jan 20, 2006, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

One of my mentors explained it something like this: When I take the floor, I want it to be obvious that if you have a problem I'm a person who can solve it for you. Aside from the things that have been listed, I feel "being an R" generally means that you are an official who steps up and takes care of whatever needs taking care of, consistently and well.
Old Fri Jan 20, 2006, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

From the stories I have heard. Guys at the higher levels (college and NBA) tell the young ones to just sit back and get the obvious plays and that he/she should just get comfortable and until he/she does, they will take care of the rest.
Old Fri Jan 20, 2006, 01:21pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias

Good list Chuck. Making the other two officials feel like they are a competent part of your team is key. If the R makes the U1 and U2 feel like "foot soldiers in his army," that is not creating a good atmosphere.

Z
Z, that is good stuff! It is always a sign of things to come when an official says "you guys do..." or "make sure you..." during a pregame instead of using the words "we", "let's" or "us."

IMO, an R must also have courage. Many officials will run down the court tonight "hoping" nothing goes wrong, while some officials will be "wishing" something funky would happen.