The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Working with the Assignor Tomorrow (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/24292-working-assignor-tomorrow.html)

ref18 Tue Jan 17, 2006 06:04pm

OK, I haven't been doing much ball this year, university really gets in the way.

So I'm a little out of practice with good mechanics.

Tomorrow I've got a JV/V Boys double header with the assignor. Any tips for good mechanics, good positioning, namely, before the game, during intermissions (except timeouts and DQ's) and anything else you think I should know.

ref18 Tue Jan 17, 2006 06:09pm

I just realized something, after 4 years of officiating, working for 5 assignors, this is the first time I've worked with anyone of them.

JRutledge Tue Jan 17, 2006 06:14pm

Just work your game. I would not worry about it. You should officiate like someone is watching you anyway. Have a good pre-game and go out and do your best. Not sure you should do anything special just because of who you are working with. He is just skin and bone as you are.

Peace

Back In The Saddle Tue Jan 17, 2006 06:19pm

Take special note of the pre-game, and go out and execute on what you decide there. Do your best. Don't stress. Once the toss goes up, it's just a game and he's just another official.

truerookie Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:31am

One thing I have learned. If my partner is watching me, who is watching his/her primary area? Inhale/exhale have fun.

ChuckElias Wed Jan 18, 2006 08:30am

Quote:

Originally posted by JRutledge
You should officiate like someone is watching you anyway.
This is great advice. I don't always do it, which is my own fault. But it's definitely a good habit to get into.

ChuckElias Wed Jan 18, 2006 08:32am

Quote:

Originally posted by truerookie
One thing I have learned. If my partner is watching me, who is watching his/her primary area?
Depending on the level of the game, and the ability of your partner, s/he may be able to keep an eye on his/her area and still take mental notes on what you're calling or how your mechanics look.

Junker Wed Jan 18, 2006 08:36am

Pregame. Make sure you talk about positioning and such during your pregame. I don't know your assignor, but I'm sure they'll be able to tell alot by the kinds of questions you ask, for example make sure you ask what he or she wants to do mechanically for a DQ'd player. Beyond that, call you game. I had a game with a good assignor in my area last year where I just took myself out of my game. I was working with 2 really strong partners and instead of calling my game, I kind of took a backseat. Go out and do what you normally do. BTW, the assignor I worked with saw my 3 man crew and is giving us games. I must have made up for my poor performance, that or it wasn't as poor as I thought.

Ref Daddy Wed Jan 18, 2006 08:45am

1) Review as many mechanics you can in your mind. Mentally prepare.

2) Hustle and Smile.

IREFU2 Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:19am

Quote:

Originally posted by JRutledge
Just work your game. I would not worry about it. You should officiate like someone is watching you anyway. Have a good pre-game and go out and do your best. Not sure you should do anything special just because of who you are working with. He is just skin and bone as you are.

Peace

Rut,

Thats is some great advice. My partner and I had a GV game last night and I told him the same thing in our pregame. Low and behold, our commissioner was in the stands, along with the rules interperter and two other big dawgs that had the next game. We did everything by the book and all he could say was we missed 2 over the back calls rather on the back.

truerookie Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:58am

Over the back + on the back = "Push" right?

IREFU2 Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:00am

Quote:

Originally posted by truerookie

Over the back + on the back = "Push" right?

I think its more like 0+1=0!!!!

rainmaker Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:11pm

Ref18 --

Be sure to report back here and let us know how it goes!