The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 17, 2006, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Jumpball Toss

I personally never noticed this before because usually TV games may not get the opening tip or I may not be watching or tune in late, or rather it may be because now as an official I pick up on these things more frequently.

In any event I noticed the toss by Steve Welmer to begin the OT's and ,uhm, yea, I don't believe anyone's stealin' that toss!

Old Tue Jan 17, 2006, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

OK To make this thread more interesting, I'll actually pose a question :-)

Do any of you use that style of toss?

I guess it helps to be 6'9" !

Old Tue Jan 17, 2006, 05:08pm
In Memoriam

I'm really not sure what you're getting at- and others might not be either. Or maybe it's just me. Won't be the first time.

What style of toss did he use? And why would it matter anyway? The FED and NCAA both basically give the R the same instructions in the rules. FED rule 6-3-4 sez "The toss shall to be to a height greater than either of them can jump so that it will drop between them". Iow, throw it higher than either jumper can jump- and it really doesn't matter how much higher as long as it's higher.

Or am I missing something?

Old Tue Jan 17, 2006, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry to be so vague.

It was just an observation on the style of toss that Steve Welmer uses and was curious if anyone used that style or could pull it off. Basically he stands still between the jumpers, all 6' 9" of him, with his arms straight out over his head and the ball in both hands, and while holding it there gives it a short push. It's obviously a different stlye than anything I've seen and I'm sure height makes it more plausable. It was just an observation that I wanted to share, hence my post, that's all.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2006, 04:07am
Official Forum Member

I saw this toss and JR it was technically illegal. The ball barely went a foot out of the ref's hands. One of the players smacked it right away. It certainly didn't go to a height greater than either player can jump.

I don't care for his toss, but he works 100 D1 mens games a year and I don't work any, so he can do it however he likes.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2006, 06:53am
Official Forum Member

Smile

I once nearly scraped the rafters on a toss. My partner (who failed to blow it dead, BTW), was giving me some grief at halftime and I simply said "Hey, it was higher than either player could jump, so what's the problem??"
Old Wed Jan 18, 2006, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
I don't care for his toss, but he works 100 D1 mens games a year and I don't work any, so he can do it however he likes.
I just wish he'd stop pulling his pants up.

I guess it's just reflex at this point but for God sake, buy a flexbelt!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Jan 18, 2006, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Welmer had a long week. That I know of, he reffed ISU-Texas in Ames, with the crowd chanting, "The Refs Suck," or some such thing, then he's in Minneapolis the next night. After that, I think I saw him working two OT games in a row, and he was still standing. I don't know how they do it.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2006, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Speaking of pulling pants up, a tip I learned from friend of mine who's breaking into D1 (MVC) this year is to put two sided carpet tape like you can find at Lowes, Home Depot, etc. on the inside of your pants.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2006, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally posted by eyezen
Sorry to be so vague.

It was just an observation on the style of toss that Steve Welmer uses and was curious if anyone used that style or could pull it off. Basically he stands still between the jumpers, all 6' 9" of him, with his arms straight out over his head and the ball in both hands, and while holding it there gives it a short push. It's obviously a different stlye than anything I've seen and I'm sure height makes it more plausable. It was just an observation that I wanted to share, hence my post, that's all.
Actually, they are suppose to hit the ball on the way down.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2006, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by eyezen
Speaking of pulling pants up, a tip I learned from friend of mine who's breaking into D1 (MVC) this year is to put two sided carpet tape like you can find at Lowes, Home Depot, etc. on the inside of your pants.
This might work great, until your pants get sweaty. Then nothing sticks anymore.